Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I used to wrench on upside down bikes for the longest time until I got hydraulic brakes and learned the hard way that air bubbles float upward. Doesn't always happen, but can.
Jula has a bike stand that's robust enough for e-bikes that works well enough for the price. The caveat is you might not be able to easily clamp your bike so it balances well with that particular frame style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Invalido posted:

I used to wrench on upside down bikes for the longest time until I got hydraulic brakes and learned the hard way that air bubbles float upward. Doesn't always happen, but can.
Jula has a bike stand that's robust enough for e-bikes that works well enough for the price. The caveat is you might not be able to easily clamp your bike so it balances well with that particular frame style.

Worth looking into, flipping the bike isn't exactly ideal for other reasons as well...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Since chain lube has come up, quick reminder that you shouldn't just slather it on the outside. Take a couple minutes to slowly go link by link and pop a drop of it into the gaps of each linkage. The parts that rub and really need the lube are on the inside of the chain

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Since chain lube has come up, quick reminder that you shouldn't just slather it on the outside. Take a couple minutes to slowly go link by link and pop a drop of it into the gaps of each linkage. The parts that rub and really need the lube are on the inside of the chain

Also clean the outside of the chain with a rag once you're done.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sentient Data posted:

While I do delicately oil my chain link by link with silca synergetic oil, there no need for this; it’s oil, it will get into everywhere it needs to. Just leave it overnight then wipe off.

There is no surface tension, it will spread over everything.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

wooger posted:

While I do delicately oil my chain link by link with silca synergetic oil, there no need for this; it’s oil, it will get into everywhere it needs to. Just leave it overnight then wipe off.

There is no surface tension, it will spread over everything.

Yeah, but less waste I imagine if done roller by roller.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TheFluff posted:

Worth looking into, flipping the bike isn't exactly ideal for other reasons as well...
I used to have a board with som blocks with divots to support the grips only to spare all the other doodads on the bars. But when I figured out the bubbles thing I got this thing (it's even on sale right now)

https://www.jula.se/catalog/fritid/cykel/reservdelar-och-underhall/verktyg/mekstall-639447/

The only thing I had to fix was putting a few short screws in it to fix the rubber liners to the frame clamp (they like to fall off), also tossing the little parts/tools table in the bin so it folds up smaller. It works great for my e-bike and bro's too, which is significantly heavier than mine. The only way I can see you clamp that bike is around the seat tube though, so if it hangs way off balance there odds are it will always be really askew when you use the stand. The whole exercise is pretty pointless if you cant keep both wheels off the floor and have the bike at least more or less horizontal.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Invalido posted:

I used to have a board with som blocks with divots to support the grips only to spare all the other doodads on the bars. But when I figured out the bubbles thing I got this thing (it's even on sale right now)

https://www.jula.se/catalog/fritid/cykel/reservdelar-och-underhall/verktyg/mekstall-639447/

The only thing I had to fix was putting a few short screws in it to fix the rubber liners to the frame clamp (they like to fall off), also tossing the little parts/tools table in the bin so it folds up smaller. It works great for my e-bike and bro's too, which is significantly heavier than mine. The only way I can see you clamp that bike is around the seat tube though, so if it hangs way off balance there odds are it will always be really askew when you use the stand. The whole exercise is pretty pointless if you cant keep both wheels off the floor and have the bike at least more or less horizontal.

Yeah, I looked at this after your previous post, but after lifting my bike by the saddle post I'm not sure how well it would work. The basket in the front makes it really front heavy when lifted from there. It's a great price though, so it's very tempting...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Seo farm page, but few examples of the type of thing you can use. Make measurements of your tubes so you know what size you need, and remember to look at the weight limits of the bar you pick out

https://pedalstreet.com/best-bike-frame-adapter-bar/

E: contact the bike company and see if there's a particular adapter they recommend, they work on the bike all the time after all. They're bound to have specialized gear at the factory but they probably have a good idea

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, I looked at this after your previous post, but after lifting my bike by the saddle post I'm not sure how well it would work. The basket in the front makes it really front heavy when lifted from there. It's a great price though, so it's very tempting...

You tested the balance with the battery removed, right?
You could compensate for the front weight by adding a couple of kilos to the rear rack once it's up off the floor to balance thing out a bit I guess. Once you remove wheels things are likely to shift a bit too anyway.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Invalido posted:

You tested the balance with the battery removed, right?
You could compensate for the front weight by adding a couple of kilos to the rear rack once it's up off the floor to balance thing out a bit I guess. Once you remove wheels things are likely to shift a bit too anyway.

Yeah, battery removed. But an adapter bar might work quite well like Sentient Data suggests. Asking the guys at the bike shop or the dealership might not be a bad idea either, although they'll probably recommend a name brand thing.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Spent an hour trying to re-align the derailleur hanger on my (axs) bike after noticing shifting getting progressively worse.
Managed to get the shifting smoother and it was aligned to within a couple of mm at the rim in 3 90° positions. Still though, the highest gear had gone out of the range of the micro adjust (despite the shifting being better overall).

Gave up and used the spare hanger I had, and now shifting is perfect and the microadjust is in the middle of the range. Obviously it was still misaligned somehow but it seemed like a complete lateral shift?

I was using the aliexpress special ztto hag-5 to do the alignment, just wondering if it's the tool or my method for aligning the hanger. Was just using the park tool video but maybe it's outdated when it says 3mm is enough tolerance for good shifting

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
If you have an aluminum hanger (which it usually is) I wouldn't bend it back to shape as you risk the hanger snapping in half when you least expect it. That tool is just for checking unless it's a steel frame with non removable hangers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Havana Affair posted:

If you have an aluminum hanger (which it usually is) I wouldn't bend it back to shape as you risk the hanger snapping in half when you least expect it. That tool is just for checking unless it's a steel frame with non removable hangers.

lol what? You better tell every bike shop ever that they’re doing it wrong

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It's done on aluminium hangers as an expedient but it's definitely not good as new after and should be changed

E: tbh I usually just remove it from the frame, flatten it in the bench vise and it's close enough to ride

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How many have you had snap after bending? It's more than one for me. Hangers are also very cheap. Can you guess how I know the price?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Havana Affair posted:

How many have you had snap after bending? It's more than one for me. Hangers are also very cheap. Can you guess how I know the price?

I've never snapped a removable aluminum hanger as a result of using a hanger alignment tool.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Once you have the tool and actually start checking, you discover pretty quickly that even brand new derailleur hangers don't mean that the alignment is perfect. Not all dropouts are created equal, and paint is the great un-leveler. Maybe my experience is weird because I've spent a lot of time with cheap bikes, but they're rarely perfect even with nice new Wheels Mfg hangers. A little tweak is just fine on 6061, which is all you're doing with a derailleur hanger alignment gauge.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
To be clear what the risk actually is: if the hanger is so bent shifting doesn't work it has received an impact. If you bend it back to shape you weaken it and next time it gets hit it's more likely to snap instead of bending. A brand new hanger getting adjusted a few millimeters is of course a lot safer as it's being bent only for the first time.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Havana Affair posted:

To be clear what the risk actually is: if the hanger is so bent shifting doesn't work it has received an impact. If you bend it back to shape you weaken it and next time it gets hit it's more likely to snap instead of bending. A brand new hanger getting adjusted a few millimeters is of course a lot safer as it's being bent only for the first time.

What's that buzzing noise? Oh it's all this backpedaling.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What are some easy troubleshooting things I can do for hydraulic brakes before I take it to the shop?

My gravel bike is the first bike I've owned with hydraulics and the rear brakes have gotten super soft but the front brakes are fine. Not sure how to even start with these.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Fool posted:

What are some easy troubleshooting things I can do for hydraulic brakes before I take it to the shop?

My gravel bike is the first bike I've owned with hydraulics and the rear brakes have gotten super soft but the front brakes are fine. Not sure how to even start with these.

You can look for leaks in the system at either the caliper (maybe take the pads out and look at the pistons if you don't see any obvious signs of fluid) or potentially under the hood on the lever.
Mineral oil is easier to spot since it doesn't evaporate much.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Is there any good resource for identifying conversion kits for old DT Swiss hubs? Their website tool only really works for newer stuff. I've got my eye on a second hand Shimano XT 12 speed groupset but my rear wheel is an old DT240s 135x10mm hub and I can't find any kits that'll do 10mm microspline. I think I saw an XD conversion and it looks like there are some HG 12 speed cassettes around if I don't mind losing the 10t.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeep posted:

Is there any good resource for identifying conversion kits for old DT Swiss hubs? Their website tool only really works for newer stuff. I've got my eye on a second hand Shimano XT 12 speed groupset but my rear wheel is an old DT240s 135x10mm hub and I can't find any kits that'll do 10mm microspline. I think I saw an XD conversion and it looks like there are some HG 12 speed cassettes around if I don't mind losing the 10t.

Your best bet is absolutely to email DT Swiss I think.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
The right shifter on my bike (2017 Cannondale CAADX 105 w/ mechanical discs) finally poo poo the bed. I think these are 105-R5800 components and it looks like the 105-R7000 components are compatible. I get get a new pair for $200ish via eBay/Amazon, shipped from China. Is that the way to go, or is the a reputable source state-side for not that much more?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Easychair Bootson posted:

The right shifter on my bike (2017 Cannondale CAADX 105 w/ mechanical discs) finally poo poo the bed. I think these are 105-R5800 components and it looks like the 105-R7000 components are compatible. I get get a new pair for $200ish via eBay/Amazon, shipped from China. Is that the way to go, or is the a reputable source state-side for not that much more?

Don’t buy bike components from eBay / Amazon, they are not real.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

wooger posted:

Don’t buy bike components from eBay / Amazon, they are not real.

That was my concern. Any suggestions on where to source a pair of 105-R7000 levers? Or a single right 105-R5800?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

That was my concern. Any suggestions on where to source a pair of 105-R7000 levers? Or a single right 105-R5800?

Unsure on their shipping policy, but the first google result is this megadeal: https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...ers&ucpo=212471

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Left side is all they've got in stock :sad:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Left side is all they've got in stock :sad:

Wow I never ever saw them for sale except as a pair before.

I’d go for a used pair on Facebook marketplace personally, if you’re near some population centres with cycling people. Remember that you can replace the rubber covers for cheap to make them look fresh.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I just noticed a rubbing noise from my rear-wheel and noticed it didn't seem to be spinning true. When I looked closer I found a loose spoke and as soon as I touched it it detached at one end,

What would be the fix here ? I'm a total newb at bike maintenance outside tyres/tubs/oil, so I'd likely take it to a bike shop.

Is that spoke broken or simply unthreaded ? I'm guessing its meant to have more thread and is broken.

Would this have likely caused other issues with the wheel (i.e it doesn't seem to spin true to my uninformed eye) ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Baconroll posted:

What would be the fix here ? I'm a total newb at bike maintenance outside tyres/tubs/oil, so I'd likely take it to a bike shop.

Is that spoke broken or simply unthreaded ? I'm guessing its meant to have more thread and is broken.

Yeah, some of the threaded part snapped off in the nipple. The tire and tube need to be unmounted to get access to pull out the old nipple.

Depending on the design of your hub, you might have to pull the wheel off and maybe cassette to get clearance to put the spoke in.

quote:

Would this have likely caused other issues with the wheel (i.e it doesn't seem to spin true to my uninformed eye) ?

Yes, each spoke carries tension in it, and the net effect gives a wheel its strength. When just one lets go, the other spokes pull the rim off true.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, some of the threaded part snapped off in the nipple. The tire and tube need to be unmounted to get access to pull out the old nipple.

Depending on the design of your hub, you might have to pull the wheel off and maybe cassette to get clearance to put the spoke in.

Yes, each spoke carries tension in it, and the net effect gives a wheel its strength. When just one lets go, the other spokes pull the rim off true.

Thanks of the info - I'm guessing this was caused by me. I've probably done 1000+ miles on the bike and check the tyre pressure every week, but I've never checked the spokes are tight - so as part of regular maintenance how should I be checking/maintaining the spokes ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You could check once a quarter (by plucking adjacent spokes and listening for consistent pitch, or feeling play in extreme cases), but there’s no telling how quickly a spoke could loosen and fail.
I personally check a couple hundred miles into a new set of wheels and don’t bother after unless I happen to have the wheel off for some other work.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Baconroll posted:

Thanks of the info - I'm guessing this was caused by me. I've probably done 1000+ miles on the bike and check the tyre pressure every week, but I've never checked the spokes are tight - so as part of regular maintenance how should I be checking/maintaining the spokes ?

Don't start tensioning spokes without knowing what you're doing because you'll absolutely make things worse. It's a job for an experienced mechanic, pro or with years of doing their own maintenance.

The usual check for spokes being unevenly tensioned is seeing if the wheel is running true or not.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Can anyone help me out with search terms to replace the below chainrings and the bolts that hold them together? I'm ok with 52/36, but not sure on mounts

You can see where I've had to replace one already, and now missing another. Does that mean the 'spider' is threaded and now stuffed too?

BB30 if it matters.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Use the BCD at the bottom. 120/90. Then just buy whatever size rings you want (52/36 etc)

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

I was frustrated that I couldn't find the part that I needed so I watched a couple of youtube videos and started fiddling with my shifter. It turns out that the cable broke within the shifter and jammed up the works. I spent about an hour with a hand pick set trying to fish out the debris, slowly taking more poo poo apart, waiting for the inevitable moment of "oh poo poo I went too far it's junk now" but to my surprise I got everything out and the shifter is functional again. A quick trip to my cyclist buddy's house and we had a new cable in and it's back to working.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

weighing my options for what to do about the fork on my commuter, a 2016-2018ish Koga Confidence.

The rubber gaiter protecting the suspension cracked and water has been getting in, leading to rust and loss of travel.

So I pulled the fork off to take it apart and get it cleaned, and planned to patch the gaiter from inside.

Unfortunately as I was trying to remove the front fender, I snapped the retaining bolt on the left side.

I used penetrating oil, gave it some taps, and used a dremel to cut a notch in the center and quickly stripped the notch out with a flat-head. Then I tried more penetrating oil, a heat gun, a new notch and patiently tapping it out counter-clockwise with a hammer and scribe/awl. Then I made the notch bigger and tried vice-grip pliers and broke the notch off.

Now I have a stub. It's too small for any of my reverse-threaded drill bits, and I don't trust my setup at all to safely and accurately drill it out.

The only Koga dealer within 2 hours of me that has an exact match OEM fork for replacement wants 300 CHF ($330 USD) for it.

How should I proceed? Should I start hitting up all the metal shops and garages in the city to see if one can extract the bolt for a reasonable price? Should I be looking into 3rd-party rigid forks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd call around a couple of your LBS's first to see if you can get a bike tech on it, and if that's a bust then call around some machine shops that specialize in automotive work, something like this is easy for them to extract with a drill press