Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Girlfriend has an old japanese made Raliegh that's been her toodling around the city bike for years. She left it outside last winter (!!!!!) and I finally got around to looking at it. Cranks were completely seized, but it's just old cottered cranks and normal 1/4" bearings.

It's going to get a nice chain soak, a little cleanup, new bearings and cotters and it'll be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got a thru-axle bike with a carbon fork and *also* want a front rack. It's got mounts, but I perpetually see the "dont put a rack on a carbon fork" advice. Between it being a heavy chinese carbon fork (state monster fork) and it having the mounts, I'm tempted to just run with it and see how it goes. I don't think I'm likely to be overloading it at all. I've got a Soma Lucas 3 rack floating around I was thinking of using.

Option 1.5 is picking up the robert axle project/old man mountain fit kit and trying to adapt their thru axle to a different rack. Does anybody know what kind of thread/geometry is happening with the old man mountain thru axle, or ever tried to use one with a not-old man mountain rack?

It does look like their racks actually fit over the extended part of the axle, which I wouldn't be able to duplicate. I'd end up mounting with just a screw in shear (though that's how every other rack mounts) to the tip of the extended thru-axle.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I spent an exorbitant amount of money on an Old Man Mountain Elkhorn and fit kit thru axle and..

You'd think that because it's mounted directly to an axle it'd be very easy to get it all to sit square, but it's sprung really badly inwards (and not squarely inwards, either). I'd have to bend out *round tubing* over an inch to get the deck installed, which IMO would put a crazy amount of force on the thru axle. I can probably make this work but it's already going to be annoying to deal with removing the front wheel. Dealing with that and a really badly fitting rack is going to be extra annoying any time I have a flat or need to get the bike shoved into a car (rare, but still).

I kind of expect this sort of fit from a normal rack when bending is part of the install, but this one slips *over* the axle and registers directly on it, so no matter how I bend it, it's going to change the centerline of the attachment at the bottom.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

amenenema posted:

Lol if this was the case then why do we hear the howl of a hundred disc brakes whenever the pro peloton is mic-ed going into a corner?

Race cars often have loud brakes as a side effect of really aggressive pad compounds/high heat tolerance.

When it comes to bicycles I just tell myself that "oh yeah they squeal because they're so good and powerful."

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Once you have the tool and actually start checking, you discover pretty quickly that even brand new derailleur hangers don't mean that the alignment is perfect. Not all dropouts are created equal, and paint is the great un-leveler. Maybe my experience is weird because I've spent a lot of time with cheap bikes, but they're rarely perfect even with nice new Wheels Mfg hangers. A little tweak is just fine on 6061, which is all you're doing with a derailleur hanger alignment gauge.