Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Newb question - I've just changed a tyre for the first time. I got the inner tube in fine, and using the cable-tie trick I managed to get the tight wire bead over the rim.

There was about 12 inches where the bead wasn't seating properly and it was near the center of the rim rather than the edge where it needed to seat. I did try massaging it but really didn't want to move.

So I slowly pumped up the tyre and at 30 psi there was a TWANG noise and it the bead seated properly. The tyre is 30-60 PSI rated.

Is this normal/ok ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I just noticed a rubbing noise from my rear-wheel and noticed it didn't seem to be spinning true. When I looked closer I found a loose spoke and as soon as I touched it it detached at one end,

What would be the fix here ? I'm a total newb at bike maintenance outside tyres/tubs/oil, so I'd likely take it to a bike shop.

Is that spoke broken or simply unthreaded ? I'm guessing its meant to have more thread and is broken.

Would this have likely caused other issues with the wheel (i.e it doesn't seem to spin true to my uninformed eye) ?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, some of the threaded part snapped off in the nipple. The tire and tube need to be unmounted to get access to pull out the old nipple.

Depending on the design of your hub, you might have to pull the wheel off and maybe cassette to get clearance to put the spoke in.

Yes, each spoke carries tension in it, and the net effect gives a wheel its strength. When just one lets go, the other spokes pull the rim off true.

Thanks of the info - I'm guessing this was caused by me. I've probably done 1000+ miles on the bike and check the tyre pressure every week, but I've never checked the spokes are tight - so as part of regular maintenance how should I be checking/maintaining the spokes ?