Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Missed tubeless chat, but I've got a question for this thread. I recently did a tubeless conversion on my gravel bike's wheelset, a pair of HED Tomcat Disc's. I used the magical green tape, and have redone the job a couple times because I wanted to avoid bubbling under the layers I put down.

I eventually did a nice job with my taping, but I've noticed that they will hold air pretty well for a few days to maybe a week then just flat. The front wheel does this quicker and more often than the rear wheel. I don't think the amount of sealant is the issue since I initially poured a decent amount of Orange Seal in both tires. Now that the sealant might be drying out, I'm wondering if I should redo the taping, or just add one more layer of tape on them?

FWIW, I'm running Gravelking SK 38's on them and they felt like they held air even with hard riding over rock gardens and the like.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Hmm, I'll keep the tube thing in mind the next time I do a tubeless conversion. Thanks for the tip!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

FogHelmut posted:

I guess tubeless is that good that it's worth carrying all the extra kit?

Add for tubeless
- CO2 inflator in case you need to re-seat the bead
- tire plugs
- spare valve stem
- spare valve core
- spare sealant

Standard kit
- mini pump - still need for tubeless for small pressure modifications
- tire boot - still need for tubeless for large holes
- spare tube - still need for tubeless just in case you have a gigantic hole
- tube patches - still need for tubeless in case your spare tube gets a puncture

I don't carry CO2 stuff, extra sealant, or patches. I'll consider that if I'm going on a multi-day ride though. My tire boot is usually just a $1 bill. If I double flat on road tubeless, I just call family to come and pick me up.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Doing a quick check here. I just got new wheels so I'm going through the process of setting them up. I normally ride a 11-28T cassette on the trainer and the bike, but I have a spare 11-25T cassette that I'd like to wear out. I want to slap the 11-25T on the trainer so I can have 11-28s on this wheelset and my older wheels too.

Shimano posted:

11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28T
11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-23-25T

Am I right in thinking that my RD wouldn't present issues with the 11-25T for the first 5 cogs, and after that, the chain might start to rub and skip etc so I'd most likely have to adjust my RD?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Alright, thanks. I didn't want to go through all of the trouble if it meant more fiddling down the road.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, just set up a savings fund for an used bike then do alerts for your size on CL, ebay, pinkbike and check The Pros Closet every so often. You're probably the most likely to get a nicer bike that way instead of waiting for the industry to stock up on the things you want to upgrade through the year.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, sorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, it's just not a "service interval" you plan for.