Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

eSporks posted:

I've always been curious about that myth.

In the BMX world, everyone knows it's the opposite. Chrome rims provide far superior stopping power than anodized.

I've definitely experienced garbage performance on cheap beach cruisers with chrome rims though.

Does anyone know what's actually going on there? Because it's not as a simple as chrome/not-chrome.

Back in the cyclocross dark ages when we used cantilever brakes we would sometimes score our rims with a box cutter perpendicular to the wheel rotation to get better stopping......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

nm posted:

Also, I don't really want to tour tubeless nor have to mount tubeless while assembling the bike in my lovely motel room after a flight. (700x48s won't fit in my box inflated).

I used to wrestle this when flying to mountain bike race since 29 x 2.3’s fix in few bike boxes/bags not made in the last few years and then the $50 airshot canisters became available and solved that headache of seating tubeless tires with only a pump.

Tubeless is great once you get to 700x38’s or bigger. Like never look back good. Tubeless still sucks for cyclocross 700x32’s if you want supples tires running 18-25 psi, it just doesn’t have the volume and burps too easily. Luckily we have Clement/Donnelson tubeless tubulars that are pretty bulletproof and actually handle well.

For Gravel you usually have a stiffer tire design and more volume so tubeless works quite well, especially with purpose built wheels and tires. I would not say the same thing from 7-8 years ago when we were running Michelin Jet 700x 30 cyclocross tires tubeless for Gravel events on converted rims.....

On my current mountain bike tubeless setup I basically have never flatted with trail weight tires over the last 3 years. Keep in mind with racier tires and different environments this may vary.

The tubeless technology has really matured in certain applications and 700x48’s are a prime candidate. I also realize that touring guys also still think STI shifters are liability so you may still tread slowly into the 21st century.

Flatland Crusoe fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 3, 2020

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

kill me now posted:

This is not entirely true, I’ve set up tubeless on 2 bikes one 38c and one 28c with a floor pump.

Just seat the tires with tubes and leave them overnight to set in. As long as you don’t pop both beads when you take the tube out you will probably be able to get it to seat tubeless with a floor pump.

If that fails soapy water should do the trick.

This takes me back to yelling at my wife to pump the floor pump faster in an attempt to seat tubeless tires without some sort of surge mechanism while about half a bottle of Stans No Tubes ends up on the hardwood floor.....

Without a compressor or surge tank it’s always roulette with tires and wheel combo’s and it gets worse with higher volume tires and more supple sidewalls. I’ve had the same tire and rim combinations where one is fine throughout its whole life and the other requires a huge wrestling match every time it’s aired down.

I have definitely seated plenty of tubeless tires with only a pump but I’ve ended up with plenty of frustrating messes as well. It’s also involved midnight trips to Walmart to buy 10 co2 cartridges trying to seat tires the night before a race after a cross country flight where TSA decided to unseat my tires during the bike bag repack.

Not having a reliable way to seat tubeless tires also means making the poor decision to inject sealant thru valve stems which never ends well either.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

CopperHound posted:

You know you're supposed to take the valve core out first, right?

Yeah but it will always kill the stem a lot faster than breaking the bead to add sealant.

I’ve seen some injectors now with a need that goes thru the entire stem which would probably eliminate the issue.