Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I bought a pair of Tektro RL520 brake levers to replace the trashed levers on my bike.

The bike has some sidepull caliper brakes. Unfortunately, the RL520s are designed for linear pull brakes.

I'm guessing that this is going to work, but I'll be hitting the rim sooner in the lever travel and losing some braking finesse.

1. Is this correct?

2. Is this a big deal? Am I better off trying to exchange these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah I thought better of it and went back to the store to exchange them. I probably would have ended up hitting the eject button and going over the bars the first time I needed to brake hard.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

SimonSays posted:

The levers would have hit the bars and you wouldn't have stopped. Don't mix brake pulls folks

Lol even worse. Well, don't have to worry about it now at least.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

hadji murad posted:

I’ve stripped the seat post clamp on my Domane. The seat height is fine, but I can’t lower the seat for travel or making adjustments.

My bike shop is hesitant about working on the bike because they don’t want to damage it. I’d like to get a quick release clamp on it.

I’m just wondering if anyone has advice. I’d appreciate it.

Post a picture of the clamp

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
The bike shop really should have been able to handle that.

I'd probably try turning it with vice grips or pliers. If you have a file or dremel you can flatten the outside of the bolt and try to grip it that way. If that doesn't work I'd go for the screw extractors or dremel the bolt shaft like others have says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Why didn't I buy a bead jack ten years ago? I cannot recommend this thing enough