Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I bought a used Avanti Blade as a present to myself early last year... and it's been in the shed ever since because I tried to do a basic deraileur adjust without re-watching a youtube tutorial and stuffed it up, then compounded my error by messing with everything else (again, not looking at tutorials like I should have) trying to fix it. Front and rear deraileurs are now out of whack, let's assume "setting up from new". AFAIK the rear hanger is OK - I was overconfident because I spent a sweaty afternoon adjusting my old bike's rear deraileur a few years back and was successful.

I found it really tedious to do just working on the ground, so I built a basic maintenance stand so it wouldn't be as tedious to check how it was shifting. (Side note: that guy's bike must be a fair bit lighter than mine because it kept tipping backwards, wound up having to bolt an old motorbike head I had laying around to the other end to act as a counterweight).

I'm not sure where to begin: front or rear deraileur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What do I need to look for in terms of compatibility when replacing a 700C wheelset? I have an old steel Bianchi Brava that's been my daily commuter, and noticed one of the rear spokes was loose, because the nipple is caved in to the rim (wheels are aluminium, so Google tells me they're beyond repair) - can't dodge all the potholes all of the time, I guess. Currently running 23mm tyres. On a budget, so will be looking secondhand. It has V brakes.

I can borrow a chain whip and that locking tool to swap over the sprocket from the library. It's also been having some shifting issues and I am loathe to try and reindex them myself (have done it once before with success in the past, then the second time I tried, without looking back at the tutorial, I completely screwed it up), so was thinking I'd swap on new wheel and sprocket, then take it to my LBS and have them sort the shifting out.