Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There is heat shrink tubing with waterproof adhesive built in, that stuff should work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It's tenacious stuff and not easy to remove. I didn't realize it needed to come off regularly.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The big lever recall was quite awhile ago, like 2013* or so. The symptom there was lever-to-bar with no braking force, a very bad time. There was a more recent piston issue that is supposed to be fixed now (for new production brakes). Something to do with the jig/method used for installation of the pistons. The pistons could end up being installed slightly angled at the factory and they would lock up and fail to retract. I've heard you can fix it by forcing the piston back into the caliper and rebleeding, but mine (guide) was so locked up I gave up trying to do it. IIRC this particular thing usually shows up right away, not after a lot of use, so maybe it is yet another separate problem.

*might be misremembering the exact year, but it was more than a few years ago

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 27, 2022

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I think the axs derailleurs are designed to slip instead of bending and there is some kind of mechanism that makes it possible to move the cage if you push hard enough.

I've seen it demoed on a mtb axs, not sure about road but I think it is the same basic design

(also good luck getting it to line up with a cog nicely)

taqueso fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 8, 2023

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

I carry a laptop with me so that I can hack my SRAM firmware back into working condition if it shits itself

sweats and tugs at collar

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

A bike mechanic friend gave me this wisdom a long time ago: if you replace your cables every couple years they will never break.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

e: ^^^wrap some electrical tape around that all tidy and it's good as new

Tubeless is awesome, no more pinch flats. It is the opposite of a fad.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

, the high end of pressure in automotive braking systems with brake boosters etc can be 1200-2000psi, it's a completely different animal.

Full power ham fisted braking on a bike is 2-3k psi.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

On a bicycle or a motorcycle?

Bicycle. I got curious about this and asked a sram mtb brake design engineer a few months ago. Normal braking is around 500 psi, max power braking 2000-3000.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Slavvy posted:

I'm not convinced that silent disc brakes are a thing that exists

Maybe if someone made a floating disc or something?

I think the two-piece rotors do stay in alignment better.