Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I have a 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105 and the chainrings, cassette, and chain need to be replaced. According to REI (and confirmed by me) these are:

Crankset: FSA Gossamer Cross, BB30, 46/36
Bottom Bracket: FSA BB30
Rear Cogs: Shimano 105, 11-28, 11-speed
Chain: KMC X11, 11-speed

I have most of the tools (e.g., cassette removal tool) but I feel like drivetrain parts compatibility is beyond my understanding. How can I source some comparable parts and be reasonably confident that things will line up as they're supposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

highme posted:

Gonna preface this with there are actual bike mechanics who read these threads, so take their advice first. If it’s just the chainrings, chain, and rear cassette that need replacing you don’t need to worry about the bottom bracket or cranks, outside of knowing what the BCD (Bolt Connection Diameter?) of the for the chainrings. Just need to buy 11spd Shimano compatible parts in your desired gear range. Cassette tool and a chain breaker are the only special tools needed.

Thank you for this. I am probably overcomplicating it and just need to take some basic measurements and order up the parts.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Bought the following:

https://www.rei.com/product/142226/shimano-105-r7000-11-speed-cassette
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017SOKT7O/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFVB4DY/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015NXH6UA/

Maybe I'll not gently caress it up!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
The right shifter on my bike (2017 Cannondale CAADX 105 w/ mechanical discs) finally poo poo the bed. I think these are 105-R5800 components and it looks like the 105-R7000 components are compatible. I get get a new pair for $200ish via eBay/Amazon, shipped from China. Is that the way to go, or is the a reputable source state-side for not that much more?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

wooger posted:

Don’t buy bike components from eBay / Amazon, they are not real.

That was my concern. Any suggestions on where to source a pair of 105-R7000 levers? Or a single right 105-R5800?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Left side is all they've got in stock :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Easychair Bootson posted:

The right shifter on my bike (2017 Cannondale CAADX 105 w/ mechanical discs) finally poo poo the bed. I think these are 105-R5800 components and it looks like the 105-R7000 components are compatible. I get get a new pair for $200ish via eBay/Amazon, shipped from China. Is that the way to go, or is the a reputable source state-side for not that much more?

I was frustrated that I couldn't find the part that I needed so I watched a couple of youtube videos and started fiddling with my shifter. It turns out that the cable broke within the shifter and jammed up the works. I spent about an hour with a hand pick set trying to fish out the debris, slowly taking more poo poo apart, waiting for the inevitable moment of "oh poo poo I went too far it's junk now" but to my surprise I got everything out and the shifter is functional again. A quick trip to my cyclist buddy's house and we had a new cable in and it's back to working.