Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

What's the derailleur hanger used on the Journeyman? Mine got bent after a clipless related fall.

Wheels #25. Go buy 2. Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Done.

Quick question though, grease the threads or no when I change it out?

Yup.

Salt Fish posted:

What do you guys think? Scotch tape or maybe some kind of glue?

:thunk:

Also yup.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Getting three different wheel sets with hubs from different manufacturers to cooperate across two different bikes involves a lot of time patience and a handful of 0.5 and 1mm 6 bolt rotor spacers.

But it's better than realigning calipers every other ride.

Edit: itd be only 1 spacer if not for the shitry Joytech hubs on the Journeyman 650 wheels. Gonna be a lot easier to run multiple wheels when those die and I get more hopes.

Hell I'm thinking of ordering 2 sets and just building wheels over winter.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 29, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

jammyozzy posted:

Hah, to stop the front brake rubbing on one of my bf's bikes we've had to pack around 1.5mm of shims between the LH hub bearing and end cap on both sets of wheels he has for it. Otherwise even with the caliper pushed out hard against the screws the outer pad rubs the disc constantly.

I originally thousht it was a poo poo hub that came with the OG wheels but now the second wheelset does it too I'm leaning towards the caliper mounts being out of position vs. the dropouts. At least the shims are easier/saner than my early ideas of putting a custom bend in the disc or taking a dremel to the caliper.

And chance the end caps aren't the same for left and right and all this time you've been running with the caps in wrong?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Could be a little bit of play in the freehub. Some hubs are just like that, especially the more inexpensive ones.

Edit: if you've never taken apart a freehub body to try to take that play out lemme tell ya it's a whole lot of work messing about with the stack of paper thin shims and itty bitty bearings. It sucks a lot. Just leave it unless it's causing problems.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 2, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

I often preach the benefits of always having a spare derailleur hanger on hand but especially with the GT Aggressor do yourself a favor and buy a derailleur hanger for that bike right now. Or two. We've been seeing a huge delay in getting ahold of those ones in particular. It's a nothing part most of the time but 2020 isn't most of the time. Don't want to see you posting that for whatever reason you bent your hanger and have to wait a month to get one.

Should be a Wheels Manufacturing Dropout 94. Double check it looks like the one on your bike, just in case they changed it for 2020.

Everything else about that bike is durable af and gonna offer you a fun time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It does look like something isn't right but I've seen a few frames where the stays aren't the exact same angle and one side is a touch closer than the other. Could also be the wheel isn't dished properly, or the frame is bent a touch.

That being said, even if you got that wheel perfectly centered between those stays that's too tight a fit. You need smaller tires. Get some 700x40s or so on it so you can throw the fenders back on with plenty of clearance.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That is the jagged metal krusty-o of rim tape. Ditch it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ill do my write-up tomorrow morning including posting pix because I just got home after I finished a days total of 170km on a hot as hell day including winning one of the sprints during this morning's group ride.

Now I'm gonna go drink a beer in the shower and attempt to not fall asleep while eating half a pizza.

Bikes are good.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those cassettes come with the spacer so dig around a bit more in your parts bin, it's probably at the bottom under one of those useless user manuals that's basically 'This is a bike part go online for more instructions!'

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't forget the page telling you that the cassette contains chemicals known to cause cancer in the state of California. Very important in case you decide to eat your cassette or grind it up into a powder and inhale it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

CopperHound posted:

Would you like me to make a video on how to service sticky hydro sram levers?

Pitching those in the garbage might be satisfying but shipping them off for warranty and then selling the new ones they send as replacements (don't use em, they'll fail too, even the 'redesigned' ones) gets you money for actual good bike parts.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got $180 for the pair. They retail for $240 cdn.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm p sure at this point they're so used to replacing their trash you could fill a garbage bag with SRAM levers and a return address, throw em over the fence of their HQ, and they'd ship you replacements.

They come with stickers you can put on your bike that work really well as warning labels to let everyone around you know that your brakes are either going quit or just lock up at any given moment.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
At best going from a 28 to a 25 you don't need to do anything. At worst you should only need to back the B screw off a bit. Any barrel adjustments swapping between trainer and wheel would be the same regardless.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Get the posts faced, that'll help. If that doesn't work 100% you'll either have to warranty it or live with it.

I've never seen this with a rigid fork myself but a coworker is dealing with this on his gfs bike from a different manufacturer. I have seen this a lot with Suntour suspension forks. I have a Recon fork on order for my wife's Talon 1 for the same reason. Facing it made adjusting the brake literally every time the wheel comes off way easier but the problem persists. A lot of the Talons we build also suffer from the same chronic brake alignment issues.

As soon as it comes in the Suntour fork is going in for warranty and the replacement is going up for sale.

Kind of a shame because it's an air fork that works pretty good for the price point.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

norp posted:

While you are there you can pick up an awl to tidy up the inner sheath of the outer after you cut it with them.

Or if you have a busted wheel you've yet to cut up or a snapped spoke laying around just make a pokey spoke with a grinder or file. A spoke ground down to a point is an incredibly useful shop tool.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I make double butted or bladed pokey spokes just so I can look down my nose at plebs using straight gauge pokey spokes. :smuggo:

Edit: another incredibly useful spoke based tool is to curl the spoke around tight to make a handle and affix the magnet from a speed sensor on the two ends, using the j bend for additional security. Use that thing to fish bearings out of hubs and stuff.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 2, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you're handy with a needle and thread sew it shut then rubber cement a patch on top, from the inside.

Otherwise bin it, thats a big slice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If the rings and freewheel are so old they no longer interface with a new chain it could definitely be necessary to change everything.

Honestly though unless you really like the bike it'd probably be worth it to put that kind of money into a new bike.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey if you like the bike, go for it. A new drivetrain in an older bike isn't a waste of money as long as the frame and wheels are in decent shape.

Enjoy that new drivetrain feeling!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't care if I have to screw it in with a wrench, press it in with a bearing press, or hammer it in with my face, I just want us to go back to one loving BB standard.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shimano gets super duper mad at you for not buying their chain.

Also maaaaaybe it won't shift quite as nice but you probably won't even notice.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
SRAM quicklinks work on Shimano 9-11 speed. KMC also sells quicklinks separately.

Also Shimano 11 and 12s chains now have quicklinks.

One thing though is when using Shimano SRAM or KMC for any speed above 8 you can't keep pulling them apart like connex links. The manual says you can remove and reinstall 9 speeds a few times but I find the second time it's super loose.

That being said the trick to master pins is to both remove normal pins and in install master pins (dont remove master pins, also dont break chains by pushing a normal pin out part way then back in) by pushing them through back to front.

Edited for clarity.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yup. Pushing a pin out far enough to break the chain leaving one end in the outer plate and then pushing the same pin back in risks the chain coming apart under load. It was fine on old wide arse chains with a lot of material on the outer plate but not advisable in any modern bike chain. Anyone who says otherwise is risking their anatomy to save a few bucks on a master pin/quicklink.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Shifting being fine on one side and poo poo on the other is bent hanger 80% of the time bad cable or housing 15% of the time extremely bad chainline 5% of the time and lol glhf trying random things until it starts working again 1% of the time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Definitely. Put a physical barrier between the two or even take the wheels off if you have time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dren posted:

i wrapped a grocery bag around the rotor and caliper last time. If I take the wheel fully off, I assume I still need to use a non-spray degreaser on the cassette or protect the rotor somehow while using the spray stuff.

Honestly even a piece of cardboard held directly between the rotor and can while spraying will do fine if you're leaving the wheel on. I never go as far as wrapping something on the rotors in that case, taking the wheel off would be faster. If you pop the wheel off then ya for the cassette throwing a bag on the rotor takes 2 seconds.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
At least you'll have good shifting a quarter of the time.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya but it's still 2 parts from the same company.

Perfect excuse to try a Box rear mech, IMO.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
All bikes come with the front caliper uninstalled (and sometimes with hydros coiled up so bad it looks like a pig tail when assembled :bahgawd:) and I can't remember the last time I built a bike and didn't have to adjust the rear brake.

That shop owes you new bolts and their mechanic needs to either throw out his Allen keys or stop using the ball head wrench to torque down bolts.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

Are they flat mount?

I'm going to defend the shop here and call out SRAM. Their flat mount t25 bolts are made out of the softest stainless I have ever encountered. They also have a terribly loose fit on every t25 wrench I've tried including Silca, PB swiss, and wera. On top of that, the caliper was designed without proper tool clearance and the body interferes with the wrench, cocking it off to the side.

I've told every SRAM rep I've encountered about it and they just shrug their shoulders and say "we know." If it were up to me, every equipped bike would include a $25 labor credit to fix the problem.

The shop should still take care of it for you, but unfortunately it's SRAM's mistake and SRAM will make the shop eat the cost.

Would the tiny T25 that comes with Avid rotors fit in there properly? Screw SRAM for using Torx on their caliper bolts. Completely glazed over that part of the post. Flat mount in general has been a much bigger pain in the rear end than post or IS for assembly but eh, looks pretty I guess.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 11, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's even easier to strip or wreck your wrench than hex and while you should never use it to really torque it down being able to use a ball end hex makes setting up brakes so much easier. Granted the bolts being on the bottom of a flat mount rear makes it way less of a pain than it would be using torx on post mount.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Eh maybe it's the torx wrenches we use. They seem to get mangled a little too easily and the park one also has a habit of snapping.

Agree on the loving bolts with ball wrenches. They're amazing for getting bolts spun in but anything much beyond finger tight and you're gonna have trouble (and with torx even finger tight at an angle is asking for grief that's gotta be square on always). I use the ball end all the time to get calipers centered but when it comes time to actually crank it down the bolts for the rear one I have to fish in my pouch to get the one key that fits in there. XS post mount frames can suck a bag of dicks all day.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

sweat poteto posted:

Front caliper bolt clearance is indeed crap, at least with 160mm rotors.

The lovely Tektro that came busted on a new bike ended up with that same mark from removal.

Why you'd want to put flat mount calipers on a cheap hybrid is beyond me. You literally can't buy replacements, at least not from our suppliers, so glhf if you break it in a way that isn't covered by warranty.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hydros are just cursed. If it isn't that it's Levels/Guides that break and lock up after a few months of use it's Shimanos that leak from the caliper out of the box or Tektros with brand new levers that pull to the bar because of blown seals.

And don't get me started on that lovely hybrid system Giant had on some bikes for a few years. That's 100% remove throw in garbage install compressionless housing and Spyres right there.

Never seen someone have to skip a ride because their BB7 decided it just didn't want to work that morning.

I'd probably be singing a different tune if I did more mountain biking or road/gravel riding where there's actually hills tall enough you aren't just bombing down em.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anything that can be added to the shitbin should be added to the shitbin, until the shitbin gets full then it's time to throw things out based on how many parts there are left that you can scavenge off of it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You'll regret it 5 years from now when you need a spare bleed port screw for an out of production brake caliper.

Bike shop lyfe.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you can find it the GRX stuff is great. Get a 44t or so ring put an 11-42 on the back and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Don't clamp your bike by the top tube. Also your flickr stream is very pretty and that old blue bike with the silver fork is fuckin rad and I hope you still have it.