Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I bought myself a Covid bike during lockdown to get back into riding and be able to ride with my kids. Just a GT from Richards(Dicks) and I’m not expecting much out of it, but it was cheap and the components seem decent, and it got good reviews from third party bike sites - mostly in the U.K. for some reason. I adjusted the brakes and derailleur after getting it but about a month into it, I noticed a creaking from around the BB area. I could take it to a LBS but:

A: they’ll laugh at me for buying a box store bike
B: it’s a pandemic
C: I’m interested in fixing it myself.

So I’m trying to troubleshoot it. I remember hearing that “creaking around the BB” can be any number of things, but what should I check before I try and take apart my crank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Post the exact model you have as GT makes a huge range of bikes.

It’s this one

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you suspect the BB, it's almost never the BB. If you don't suspect the BB, it's the BB. That's just how it goes. It could be anything with a new bike. Seatpost clamp, saddle clamp, chainring bolts, various drivetrain bits, pedal spindles, etc. Check all those things before you mess with the BB. Especially make sure there is grease on seatpost where it is clamped.

That’s what I figured. Seems like it would be unusual for a BB to be bad on a brand new bike. I’ll check the pedals first, that’s easy to look into.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

but especially with the GT Aggressor do yourself a favor and buy a derailleur hanger for that bike right now. Or two.

I will do this.

CopperHound posted:

If you want try tightening it yourself you'll most likely need the following (a chance that these aren't the right tools, some close up pics would help):
- 8mm allen with a long handle, not some puny multitool
- crank puller
- 20 tooth bottom bracket tool

If you are trying to build up a bike toolkit, I recommend buying park or pedros tools as you need them instead of buying any kits.

I will do this too. Do I need to get a repair stand?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

If you suspect the BB, it's almost never the BB. If you don't suspect the BB, it's the BB. That's just how it goes. It could be anything with a new bike. Seatpost clamp, saddle clamp, chainring bolts, various drivetrain bits, pedal spindles, etc. Check all those things before you mess with the BB. Especially make sure there is grease on seatpost where it is clamped.

It was the allen bolt holding on the crank. The left one was a little loose. Tightened it down and the creaking went away!