Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what tool I'll need to remove this bottom bracket?

16 irregular internal notches, with 4 being bigger than the others. Internal diameter about 31.5mm.

Bike was bought second-hand and I'm planning on adding a BBSH02 motor. I've referred to the Park Tools Bottom Bracket Tool Selection article and been googling for a while now, and haven't found an exact match yet. Am I overlooking something? Any leads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

CopperHound posted:

I'm about 80% sure the 20 spline tool fits in there.

ahhhhhhh yeah almost certainly it. ordering a BBT-22 now. Thanks!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

weighing my options for what to do about the fork on my commuter, a 2016-2018ish Koga Confidence.

The rubber gaiter protecting the suspension cracked and water has been getting in, leading to rust and loss of travel.

So I pulled the fork off to take it apart and get it cleaned, and planned to patch the gaiter from inside.

Unfortunately as I was trying to remove the front fender, I snapped the retaining bolt on the left side.

I used penetrating oil, gave it some taps, and used a dremel to cut a notch in the center and quickly stripped the notch out with a flat-head. Then I tried more penetrating oil, a heat gun, a new notch and patiently tapping it out counter-clockwise with a hammer and scribe/awl. Then I made the notch bigger and tried vice-grip pliers and broke the notch off.

Now I have a stub. It's too small for any of my reverse-threaded drill bits, and I don't trust my setup at all to safely and accurately drill it out.

The only Koga dealer within 2 hours of me that has an exact match OEM fork for replacement wants 300 CHF ($330 USD) for it.

How should I proceed? Should I start hitting up all the metal shops and garages in the city to see if one can extract the bolt for a reasonable price? Should I be looking into 3rd-party rigid forks?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Have you tried big locking vise grip pliers?

Aren't qill stem bolts usually flush with the top? There isn't anything to grip, at least on my stem.

Anyway I gave my stripped bolt another couple of goes, with my dremel, vice pliers, etc but since I don't have a work bench or vice, didn't trust freestyle drilling too much.

Found a local metal shop that drilled it out and re-threaded it for :10bux:

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 6, 2024