Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pooper Hero posted:

I wax my chain in a double boiler like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAyjdmbm0CY
But I make my own wax
Well aren't you a busy bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dog Case posted:

I just installed bar ends on my mini velo and they only stayed in indexed mode for about an hour

I guess thanks to Path Less Pedaled friction shifting is now the cool hipster thing

mystes
May 31, 2006

CopperHound posted:

Indexed rear shifting has been a solved problem since the invention of hyperglide.

If your bike is an out of tune sack of bent rear end derailleur hangers, there is still this lil switch for you.

drat that really appeals to me for some irrational reason I can't explain

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cottered crank bbs are so old, do they even use sealed cartridges? You can't just lube the bearings or something?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's important to use proper ppe when working with carbon fiber. (gets on completed bike and immediately dies)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

My bike has index shifters, and I think they're basically worn flat. It's annoying but I can live with it. However, now my chain is skipping gears a lot on my rear (not just when hitting bumps), which is way annoying, and makes the first problem more of a problem than it otherwise would be. The cassette, chain, and cables are all less than 1 year old. The shifters are ~13 years old. Could these be related (the index not being "precise" and the dereaulier alignment being off as a result)? Or do I have some other problem?
What have you already tried before reaching this conclusion?

mystes
May 31, 2006

for people who are commuting on a bike with a normal chain and don't want to do maintenance themselves surely it would make sense to add a chain cover or something before some weird self-lubricating device?

Adding lube is easier than actually cleaning the chain anyway

mystes
May 31, 2006

wait that has to be some sort of typo right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I just hate people with poorly trained dogs they can't keep under control

mystes
May 31, 2006

SimonSays posted:

This may shock some people: your wheels are actually designed and built to bear your weight. You can stand on a properly made wheel.
I don't think things always have the same strength in all directions

mystes
May 31, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Why would you be removing the cassette to repair a puncture?
Huh? They were saying it happened unintentionally and were asking if that's normal, so why are you asking them why they would be doing it intentionally?

mystes
May 31, 2006

The specialized website still has a few limited color/size combinations (metallic blue in XL and a gradient pink one in different sizes) for the Specialized Align II on sale for $28 too. (You can either have it shipped to store for free or leave it in your cart overnight and wait for them to send you a free shipping code)

I picked one up in January and I'm pretty happy with it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You mean just the cage not whether the whole derailleur is bent?

mystes
May 31, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

The Musson e-book is worth :10bux:

I haven't built a wheel in a while but I built several before using that book like 9 or 10 years ago and it was pretty easy without any prior knowledge so I can second that recommendation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Co2 should leak out of a tire slower than air because its more 50% more dense IIRC
I've heard lots of people claim that it leaks out of tubes much faster, are you sure that isn't true? Apparently it is supposed to be something specifically involving co2 and butyl tubes. Maybe it's a myth though

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 25, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you only have a normal wrench that's not that long you can try sticking something on it like a chunk of pvc pipe to make it longer so you get more torque

If it wasn't properly lubricated and it's stuck on you could try wd40 or something

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

I thought the opposite was true? I knew it as lower psi for more grip but needing to spend more energy, higher psi for lower rolling resistance
They didn't say anything about low psi

mystes
May 31, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

this is obv but make sure theres a tiny bit of sag in the chain, not a lot but a little. if its on too tight you can push the wheel forward in the drop out a smidge
Yeah if it's single speed and has adjustable dropouts I'm betting on this

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Is this an ebike thing because I have no idea what you're referring to?
I'm not sure if you're familiar with Alfine hubs and still not sure what he's talking about but if not it's an IGH hub so the shifter cable has to attach to the hub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

SimonSays posted:

When I call something a fastener my non-mechanical friends look at me like I just grew a third arm
That's why I only make friends with robots