Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

evil_bunnY posted:

i hate spec as a brand and still have their saddles on 2 of my bikes. they’re good.

The worst brand you know just made a great product.

Actually they’ve long since stopped making the original Romin, so I have to snap up the used supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
First ride

i like it a lot

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

redcheval posted:

I am a bike baby who has only been riding my townie cruiser that I dug out of storage around my neighborhood for the last couple months. I feel like I lucked out in a major way by finding this at the bike shop this morning, the sole hot mayo Midnight Special, and in my size no less. Hot dog. I absolutely love it. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bikes but I'm pretty pumped about it, and already fantasizing about getting a brown leather saddle and brown grip tape to make it all coordinated.

Welcome to the club. Making your bike coordinated and to your style is part of the fun and is encouraged. Have fun out there.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

dema posted:

I love it. Would have killed for that bike, with flat bars, in highschool. Actually, years later, a relative left a Rockhopper like that at my parents house and I swiped it for the summer to use as an around town bike. Eventually had to give it back. Sad.
Thanks! It was my main bike from 14 through like late 20's when I got into road bikes. It took me a lot of places/made a lot of memories so when it was time to get an allroad/gravel rig I couldn't pass up the conversion opportunity!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
nvm

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

jamal posted:

First ride

i like it a lot

Hell yeah

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
New bike followup:

Oh god what have I done!?

I'm finding out that I don't have half the tools to get into the bottom bracket.

/shrug

*soon*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If there's any decals under the clamp area, be careful to pad it a bit. Learned that the hard way :(

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

If there's any decals under the clamp area, be careful to pad it a bit. Learned that the hard way :(

Actually just put the seatpost in and clamp the seatpost.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bicievino posted:

Not an awful idea. I get my BB removal tool in the mail on tuesday, so I'm going to let'er be for a minute. In the same package comes my grease, so I'd be all about not jamming this dirty-rear end rusty seatpost in lest I gently caress poo poo up.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
May or may not have gone nuts on this build but its 100% Italian in one way or another (sans pedals)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
is that a real columbus fork or did you just put the stickers on it :eyepop:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

What I usually do, but I was building it from just a frame and never moved it.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Cannon_Fodder posted:

New bike followup:

Oh god what have I done!?

I'm finding out that I don't have half the tools to get into the bottom bracket.

/shrug

*soon*

Hey cheap chinese stand buddy :)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Not an awful idea. I get my BB removal tool in the mail on tuesday, so I'm going to let'er be for a minute. In the same package comes my grease, so I'd be all about not jamming this dirty-rear end rusty seatpost in lest I gently caress poo poo up.

The best part about new tools is that not only do you get to fix your own bikes, but you can also help out your buddies with their bikes as well.

Also:

Chill Callahan posted:

May or may not have gone nuts on this build but its 100% Italian in one way or another (sans pedals)

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

Nice bike. Good to see a shiny vintage bike once in a while, as much as I appreciate a patina or whatever radavist would call it

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Chill Callahan posted:

Do you want some campy ergopower pedals to put on it?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Chill Callahan posted:

Tires made by Lion in Thighland. Redo with Veloflex Corsas.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

bicievino posted:

Finally.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Goons in Colorado should really try and make the Mt Evans ride. I have not rode anything else like it.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

DELETE CASCADE posted:

is that a real columbus fork or did you just put the stickers on it :eyepop:

100% columbo max tubing

bicievino posted:

Yes absolutely, have actually been searching for a pair

TobinHatesYou posted:

Tires made by Lion in Thighland. Redo with Veloflex Corsas.

Yeah I figured someone would notice, but they're what I had lying around. Then there's still stuff like Concorde was a Dutch company but imported Italian frames, Look made Campy pedals, etc.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Unknownmass posted:

Goons in Colorado should really try and make the Mt Evans ride. I have not rode anything else like it.

Same but Pikes Peak

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Unknownmass posted:

That's a great climb. Where'd you start?

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Chill Callahan posted:

:piss:

What size is that, 62cm? So hot!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chill Callahan posted:

gently caress yes

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I thought today maybe I should share my bikes with the new thread.

I got rid of my other mountain bike because this one is perfect for the riding I do. The tubeless 2.25 tyres are like having suspension.

My gravel bike, an old Tange2 SR Pro-am. I got some 650b rim brake wheels and have tubeless 38mm g-ones on. So far it is awesome.

A parts bin build over lockdown, got the frame for $100 and the only other thing I had to buy was a front derailleur. The frame has seen better days cosmetically but I have wanted a Nishiki in those colours for ages.

My most beloved bike, I will never sell this one. It was made by a custom builder in the 80's, for someone with the same dimensions as me. I bought it 5 years or so ago and one christmas I put some Sram on it from another bike I cracked the frame of. It's a perfect match. Last summer I bought the Cosmics for $5 at a recycled good shop, they are hardly used. My wife gave me some 28mm Continental GP4000s for christmas and it's more or less perfect now. Only thing I might like is an old aero campy seatpost but they are hard to come by and might not be long enough.

Another Covid project. Frame paint is in a poor state, I did a few touchups where there was a repair, I need to get a 653 decal for the seat tube too. Then the rest was trying to go somewhat lightweight but with parts that a low key racer might have put it together with in the 90's. It is a 61cm but feels a bit smaller, if I got some longer cranks I could lower the saddle a bit but meh.

I love old steel bikes in case you can't tell.

E. The weight of the Red one is 9.2kg, I could go below 9kg if I changed the saddle and seat post, those Rolls' are heavy.

Project M.A.M.I.L. fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 8, 2020

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

:piss:

What size is that, 62cm? So hot!

It's actually a 59cm, stamped on the BB. I think something about the tubes or maybe the geometry might be playing some sort of an optical illusion

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Only thing I might like is an old aero campy seatpost but they are hard to come by and might not be long enough.

I actually have these sitting in my parts bin. Right is a Record 27.0mm and left is I think Athena 27.2mm. They're a little dirty but they shine up nice

(also, rad bikes!)

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Chill Callahan posted:

It's actually a 59cm, stamped on the BB. I think something about the tubes or maybe the geometry might be playing some sort of an optical illusion

I actually have these sitting in my parts bin. Right is a Record 27.0mm and left is I think Athena 27.2mm. They're a little dirty but they shine up nice

(also, rad bikes!)

You're right it must be the tube diameter or something making it look taller.

Those seatposts look rad. I should add that I am in NZ hence the hard to come by comment:) The amount of exposed post I need with that saddle is around 150mm, probably with a Rolls or Brooks I could have use a shorter one.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Man, that red bike is a beaut.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Chill Callahan posted:

:popeye:

Concorde bikes are always beauts

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Unknownmass posted:

Yes and I used to have that bike.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Chill Callahan posted:

100% columbo max tubing

Yes absolutely, have actually been searching for a pair

Yeah I figured someone would notice, but they're what I had lying around. Then there's still stuff like Concorde was a Dutch company but imported Italian frames, Look made Campy pedals, etc.

Mostly the chorus ones, one set with the record ti spindles.

Got way too many of the dang cleats, too.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 8, 2020

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Anyone got some bar end shifters gathering dust?

Also, how do I measure whether a shifter has enough oomph for an old derailleur?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anyone got some bar end shifters gathering dust?

Also, how do I measure whether a shifter has enough oomph for an old derailleur?

Does oomph mean correct cable pull? Are you looking for friction shifters only?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Despite having a brand new mtb I decided to go for a road ride yesterday

Finally have this thing about the way I want it. new drivetrain parts and bb and pedals, wooshy wheels, a new saddle that seems pretty good (pro stealth), and no loving clicks when I pedal it. Just needs a -17 degree stem. Did screw up blindly ordering that arundel cage because it's 3k weave glossy and I should have gotten UD matte. The downtube cage is the lezyne one that holds a road drive.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 8, 2020

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

jamal posted:

Finally have this thing about the way I want it. new drivetrain parts and bb and pedals, wooshy wheels, a new saddle that seems pretty good (pro stealth), and no loving clicks when I pedal it.

Outstanding. What BB did you pair the crank with? I’m making a similar switch for my CAAD10.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Went for one of my regular loops today but decided to take it a little easier and take more pictures. I did some tinkering and cleaning last night so why not document it?

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 8, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

mexecan posted:

Outstanding. What BB did you pair the crank with? I’m making a similar switch for my CAAD10.

It's a wheels mfg thread together deal. My main clicking was actually the old chainrings on the crankarm. There's a shitload of loctite retaining compound on the new ones. I put in that bb at the same time and still had some clicking afterward and re-tigthened it a little better and replaced the spindle and then also changed pedals and took the pedals off and re-greased and re-tightened them and cleaned out my headset so the more recent noise could have been one of those other things.

I guess the bar end a-junction to clean up the wires a bit would be nice but that means new bars, the jct, a d-fly deal probably, some new wires etc so probably not going to bother.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

kimbo305 posted:

Does oomph mean correct cable pull? Are you looking for friction shifters only?

I know the look I want and little else.

I'm very new to modifying and swapping out parts, so advice is very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I know the look I want and little else.

I'm very new to modifying and swapping out parts, so advice is very welcome.

Might get more detailed responses in the bike repair and maintenance thread.