Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sup new thread. Here's what I've got at the moment:

Mountain bicycle.

Commuter/bumming around town bicycle.

Old road bicycle.

New road bicycle in progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Can't believe you'd post the finished thing on reddit before this thread

Ha! Sorry. Have some stuff I'm changing. New saddle and crankset coming. Fit isn't quite dialed in yet.

It's a pretty brilliant so far though. Nice and stiff.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

amenenema posted:

Rockhopper conversion continues to own bones.

I love it. Would have killed for that bike, with flat bars, in highschool. Actually, years later, a relative left a Rockhopper like that at my parents house and I swiped it for the summer to use as an around town bike. Eventually had to give it back. Sad.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got a Specialized Power Expert saddle. Need to spend more time on it, but cautiously optimistic.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

jamal posted:

Finally have this thing about the way I want it. new drivetrain parts and bb and pedals, wooshy wheels, a new saddle that seems pretty good (pro stealth), and no loving clicks when I pedal it.

I really liked my Hed Jet 4 Plus wheels.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, that would wreck me. I have a friend who did Evans from downtown and back. As a full moon night ride. I'll have to see if I can dig up the activity. EDIT: yeah, he started at 5:00 PM and it took him just under 10 hours.

quote:

If anyone’s thinking about doing this, bring warm clothes. Despite starting in 90-degree heat, I was very happy to have full winter gear for the descent, including a down puffy and ski gloves.

Maybe I'll go do it from Echo Lake tomorrow morning.

Edit, just joking, the air is terrible right now. drat forest fire.

dema fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 13, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Art.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Really like this bike. And the riding is pretty nice around here.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Some great photos on this page.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a more proper pic of the ritchey outside, now with ultegra pedals and matching bottle cages. you can see the city if you zoom in and squint!

I know right were that photo was taken, on Ralston.

Nice setup. That color blue is great. Though those tires look a little tougher than I'd prefer for a road bike.

RIP.

dema fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 17, 2020

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Anza Borrego posted:

Brought our new gravel bikes to Zion, a place we spend a lot of time. It was a great way to see a familiar place in a new way. Zion Canyon Road is fairly short, 16mi RT and maybe 500’ of climb, but it is just just so drat nice.

Did a moto trip around Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Arches last year. It was a religious experience.

edit; sorry, here is some bicycle poo poo:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Probably not worth stopping at if you’re going to stay on the road. Hear there is some great hiking though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

Getting in some the last easy days of dawn patrol before the time change

Today:

Yesterday:

This almost makes me miss the Bay Area.

But I'll survive.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That fender line. :discourse:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

How do you like that frame? How's the weight/performance on it?

I'm vaguely considering building up a lightweight aluminum road bike for like hill climb poo poo or something, dunno what I'd do for a frame though

I really like it but you can easily go at least 100g lighter on the frame.

TBH; I was prioritizing colorway and availability a good bit over weight. And I don't regret that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've gone full hipster and just use a burrito size bar bag. Enough room for tube, pump, tool and a light jacket. Which is pretty nice for this time of year.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Anza Borrego posted:

Which one did you go with?

https://roadrunnerbags.us/products/burrito-handlebar-bag

Have had it for a bit over a year. No issues.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Needs some stainless Arundel Mandibles.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, hit up Velo Orange.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Gibraltar/Painted Cave loop is insanely good. Santa Barbara has some great riding.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Finally got a stem that matches the seat post. Waste of money but it was really bugging me.

Also got some Garmin Vector 3 pedals. My FTP... has lots of room for improvement.

dema fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 24, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

ASMR

dema
Aug 13, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

I ride downhill pedals in my cargo bike and I've never, ever hurt myself on them.

Right, I run Shimano DH pedals on my commuter. Had medium priced plastic ones on there before, but they felt a little flexy out of the saddle. Very annoying.

You need better flat pedals! :argh:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got an old SS cross bike that I use for bumming around. Think the gearing is 34x18, so hills aren't a big deal.

I've since replaced those pedals with some Shimano DH pedals. Nice and stiff.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

If I buy another Rock Lobster, I'm stealing this paint scheme.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice. Chainstay looks a little beat up though. Mastic tape works well.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

bicievino posted:

New Bike Weekend

Need to decide what front wheel to get for it, but man, it feels good.

Are you a track nation champion? Because you look like one.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

bicievino posted:

I am. 35-39 points race, 35-44 Madison.

Bad rear end.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New bike day.

Not particularly rad. But clean, light and a little fancy.

Looking forward to getting it dirty tomorrow.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Mike Sinyard or Specialized as a company, but they've got some talented people working there.

Really wanted a Crux frame without the branding on the DT, but apparently so does everyone else, because they're not very attainable at the moment. And I'm told that's not going to change any time soon.

Chinatown posted:

Also is that Cheeseman Park?

Yeah. I love riding around in circles there.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

z16bitsega posted:

Won this at an online auction a few weeks ago and finally picked it up yesterday.

That's super clean. The shop I bought my Crux from had a room full of classic bikes. Mapei Colnago (Master?) was the standout for me. I've always loved the shaped tubes on those bikes.

Anyway, got the Crux out on a 33 mile ride. Mostly dirt. It's brilliant.

Kinda wild that the the bike that's two down from top of the line has wireless electronic shifting and carbon rims. What a time to be alive.

Also, cellphone photos don't really do the frame color justice. It's a dark green, IRL.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Did a road trip over to San Diego for a work thing. Brought my bike. It was lovely.

Been exclusively riding my Specialized Crux w/ 28s for the last four months. Love that bike. But, it was fun to switch back to the ultra stiff and narrow road bike. So responsive and fast feeling.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Very clean. I'm sticking with rim brakes until my 8 year old Enve wheels die.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

So much fun.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice! Where is that at? Looks similar to a few places on Lookout Rd, but not quite.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Lookout is my go-to.

If you haven't done it yet, Squaw Pass Rd from Bergen Park is fantastic. Was up there last week and there's some decent color. It's a 14.7 mile climb, 3300 ft, 4.2% grade. So, long and mellow. Some great views up near the top.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Correct.

Triple Bypass is fun. I did it in 2019. Speaking of which, both sides of the second climb, Loveland Pass, are also awesome. And in that area, Guanella pass, out of Georgetown, is pretty rad.

There's of course lots of front range climbs, like Golden Gate, Coal Creek, Dear Creek, but I feel like they're always a bit higher traffic.

In town, I generally just stick to the paths and the parks. Less out of concern for cars and more because stop and go for intersections is a drag.

edit; actual content:

That Ritchey Road Logic was a good frame.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 7, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Did a long ride yesterday afternoon. Had some nice light near the end:

Going to be replacing this thing soon. Before EoY, I hope.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Aluminum for aluminum. Tired of the lack of braking power with rim brakes on my eight year old Enve's. Especially if it's at all wet.

12-speed Di2 will probably be nice too. Most of the group set is also eight years old. At least the shifters, brakes and RD are.

dema fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice. 280/500 for me, after 3 days. Got some snow coming in a few days though. Going to need to get serious.