Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Like fashion, you gotta know how/when to break the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It doesn't really roll, as the natural way to lug it around has the wheel going backwards and pulling the crank into some folded part of the frame.
You could push it around vertically like a unicycle, but not effectively.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Also how many bikes do you have Kimbo? :stonk:
The bikes owned distribution ITT probably looks a bit better than wealth distribution :negative:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fish Cake posted:

new forum new thread new bike new picture

Love it. Those drillium chainrings.
Only bummer is how the field of view makes the drop bars seem enormous.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When you pose the bike and catch it mid fall, as does the entire subway.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 31, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

redcheval posted:

It does have vents on the top and back (it’s a Thousand helmet) but this was just what I had kickin around for my cruiser. Bike helmet recommendations are definitely welcome!

The Thousand isn't as bad as it looks. I don't understand why.
It's still worse than a vented road helmet, but I've never suffered on a summer commute with it on. And the magnet latch is killer.

Go to the $100 tab, find one you like the looks of, and see where you can try some.
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Converting this to a modern groupset. I might try to retain the downtube shifters or go for bar ends. :3:

I guess it's not awful to convert from 27" to 700c either so that's on the docket too.

Check out the specific extra reach you'll need and buy accordingly. The longest mid-reach (aka not garbage) caliper I could find was the RG957:
https://trpcycling.com/product/rg957/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

i hate spec as a brand and still have their saddles on 2 of my bikes. they’re good.

The worst brand you know just made a great product.

Actually they’ve long since stopped making the original Romin, so I have to snap up the used supply.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If there's any decals under the clamp area, be careful to pad it a bit. Learned that the hard way :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

Actually just put the seatpost in and clamp the seatpost.

What I usually do, but I was building it from just a frame and never moved it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anyone got some bar end shifters gathering dust?

Also, how do I measure whether a shifter has enough oomph for an old derailleur?

Does oomph mean correct cable pull? Are you looking for friction shifters only?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I know the look I want and little else.

I'm very new to modifying and swapping out parts, so advice is very welcome.

Bar-end shifters work exactly the same way as downtube shifters, but come with a little wedge so you can mount them into the end of your drops.

Friction shifting means friction holds the shifter in position. So it's completely analog positioning of the rear dearailleur -- if the chain is slightly off, then you nudge the shifter a tiny bit to get it perfectly in line. It's pretty easy when you have fewer gears, but requires more precision (and time to finesse that alignment) past 9 speeds.
The upshot is that the shifter can shift any rear derailleur, as long as it pulls enough cable to swing through the full travel of the RD.

Indexed shifting is where each gear position has a physical detent, with these indexes spaced out so that you pull/release cable to move the RD in exactly one gear increments. It takes some tuning at the RD during initial setup, but takes less effort/technique to shift.

You have to work backwards from the number of gears you want. If you want indexed shifters, prices are slightly cheaper for more gears. Like $50 for 11spd vs $80 for 8 speed. For friction shifters, you'd want to make sure if the the RD's cable pull requirements can be satisfied by your shifter. Shimano RDs need anywhere from 20-27mm of cable.

Once you've made some RD choices, you can ask in the repair thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jamal posted:

I put little squares of tape over all the holes in the fairing on the front wheel and it actually made a big improvement

To crosswind effects? And also how it sounded?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Twobirds posted:

That's the thing that snapped Simon Cowell in half, right?

That thing was cool, if you were looking for an electric dirt bike
https://thearsenale.com/products/swind-eb-01

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Depending on the 700C fender width, you might get enough coverage and strut clearance to go over 650x48. The radial size will be about right. I did this for a while on my Macho Man with Mud Butler 45s.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

amenenema posted:

Old faithful: 2005 CAAD8, new to me since 2010.

Now that the Rockhopper conversion is 95% done, I think it's time to strip this down and give it a full once-over. New cables at the very least. Maybe new groupset now that I've fallen in love with DoubleTap.

Why downgrade from Ergopower?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Still need to get the settings dialed in on the Trust
https://i.imgur.com/4qO6u19.mp4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Oh cool, how do you like it? The design of those is wicked, its a really cool idea.

Still learning how it behaves, but it jibes with the reviews of it out there — stiff but offers stability and precision. I wrote more in the mtb thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905&perpage=40&noseen=1#post507155639

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

holy SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

That fucker didn’t powdercoat the work cart handle as a courtesy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

This is a good and correct take, although a 40t ring is also good if you climb a lot.

Hmm, is there a way to carry both sizes and quick switch between them?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How did you like the bullmoose? I feel like the one-bolt stem clamp was a little too loose, and the non-adjustmable reach was a little short for my application, even with extenders going to 75cm.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's fall in New England.

Rebuilt my hardtail around the Nukeproof Scout frame and took it out for its second test ride, which was mostly a dud:
- wet leaves everywhere spooking the hell out of me. Washed out the front
- put a 40mm stem on it from my last test and was too conservative clamping to the steerer, so the bars turned the first time I was climbing up a rocky patch. Just psyched out after that
- was running the 2.4 Dissector up front, and got 0 insight into how it behaves differently to a cushcored DHF. It sounds a lot whinier on the road, though.
- definitely notice the lower BB. Bumped into a couple things and also kicking up a lot more sticks/branches

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

New kicks. Time to get a bit more techy on the fat bike.

Tried them all week on flat pedals. The stiffer sole and lack of laces potentially getting caught in the crank is real nice.

Which model is that and how much were they?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

I didn't realize it was possible for a bike to look British. That green is something else. :swoon:

https://bikepacking.com/news/readers-rig-toms-singular-peregrine/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

I also have LED strips down the sides and on the back so it's very visible at night.

Cyberpunk 250W

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Biggus Duckus posted:

I really like the look of bead-blasted Ti and, because of the lack of markings, I thought it might have been an affordable option for that.

I was wrong.

Did you see the Waltly discussion earlier?
Reputable Ti welding company in China:
https://www.waltlytitanium.com/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This video review covers the spec/geo decently. Probably a tad long

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tae2qd16128

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

muscle

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

really pleasant for cruising around.

You have to pay more attention with a fixed gear. It's not as casual, especially with stuff like pedaling from a stop.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What causes sealant to stay so liquid inside the tire but to dry off when escaping through cuts? Is it humidity? Does it form a skin that redissolves as long as there's some agitation?

For sealed cuts/punctures, is the latex drying within minutes, or is it just that the fissure is plugged up by the various particles in the sealant and blocking further liquid getting pushed through?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IME, the rainbow flake effect is lessened when the light source isn't parallel with the viewpoint.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Left to right:
- cross lever
- Gravity dropper switch
- extension mount
- uhh... loop of brake cable cuz I couldn't route from the cross lever down to the cable hanger
- flat bar Alfine IGH shifter filed out to fit into 23.8mm bar
- cross lever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Get an orange collar for your dog, make it all match 100%.

Very nice bikes.

And a very fine doggo.

Dog singular???

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's that stem dealie? And where is that steerer bottle cage in the folded position?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

More like a giant CueCat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Homemade decaleur.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drat, just remember how chilly it was up there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

trufflefoo posted:

Found this bridge/viaduct thing. Apparently it’s from a film or something…

That bar flare angle is pretty... demented.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Paging actionjackson to the Show Us Your Bicycle thread.

He needs a bigger one. No deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Mannondale Advanced Aluminum Tesign

One of the As is for Acciaio, Italian for steel.