Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've decided to educate myself in the art of bike mechanics. I introduce to you, my new bike and new tool day combo!

Spent 3 hours cleaning it up, and teaching myself how to true the wheels on this 1988 miyata 512 that I got for $100.

This bike is meaningful to me because it's the exact make/model/year that got me into loving bikes in the first place. I sold my original one and always regretted it.

I plan on building this one up and experimenting.

First build :

Converting this to a modern groupset. I might try to retain the downtube shifters or go for bar ends. :3:

I guess it's not awful to convert from 27" to 700c either so that's on the docket too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

kimbo305 posted:

Check out the specific extra reach you'll need and buy accordingly. The longest mid-reach (aka not garbage) caliper I could find was the RG957:
https://trpcycling.com/product/rg957/

I'll take this to the bike mech thread to avoid cluttering this one up. I'll also check out the link. Right now, I'm reading through the big blue book and learning how to take apart and out together stuff.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
New bike followup:

Oh god what have I done!?

I'm finding out that I don't have half the tools to get into the bottom bracket.

/shrug

*soon*

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bicievino posted:

Actually just put the seatpost in and clamp the seatpost.

Not an awful idea. I get my BB removal tool in the mail on tuesday, so I'm going to let'er be for a minute. In the same package comes my grease, so I'd be all about not jamming this dirty-rear end rusty seatpost in lest I gently caress poo poo up.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Man, that red bike is a beaut.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Anyone got some bar end shifters gathering dust?

Also, how do I measure whether a shifter has enough oomph for an old derailleur?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

kimbo305 posted:

Does oomph mean correct cable pull? Are you looking for friction shifters only?

I know the look I want and little else.

I'm very new to modifying and swapping out parts, so advice is very welcome.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

bicievino posted:

Might get more detailed responses in the bike repair and maintenance thread.

Absolutely. I followed suit on regards to extra pedals, but will direct specific questions there.

kimbo305 posted:

Bar-end shifters work exactly the same way as downtube shifters, but come with a little wedge so you can mount them into the end of your drops.

Friction shifting means friction holds the shifter in position. So it's completely analog positioning of the rear dearailleur -- if the chain is slightly off, then you nudge the shifter a tiny bit to get it perfectly in line. It's pretty easy when you have fewer gears, but requires more precision (and time to finesse that alignment) past 9 speeds.
The upshot is that the shifter can shift any rear derailleur, as long as it pulls enough cable to swing through the full travel of the RD.

Indexed shifting is where each gear position has a physical detent, with these indexes spaced out so that you pull/release cable to move the RD in exactly one gear increments. It takes some tuning at the RD during initial setup, but takes less effort/technique to shift.

You have to work backwards from the number of gears you want. If you want indexed shifters, prices are slightly cheaper for more gears. Like $50 for 11spd vs $80 for 8 speed. For friction shifters, you'd want to make sure if the the RD's cable pull requirements can be satisfied by your shifter. Shimano RDs need anywhere from 20-27mm of cable.

Once you've made some RD choices, you can ask in the repair thread.
This is phenomenal, thank you. I spent hours today playing with tools and trying to tune in my wife's bike and my two other ones. She, incidentally, has friction shifters mounted on a flat bar.

I'm much more confident that I can tackle this properly.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Man, it's a pain to find anything except promotional material for the Poseidon Redwood.

But at 900 bucks for a competent off-roader, I'm going for it.

More info to come, I guess.

Has anyone got experience with this thing?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Yeah, Spindatt and Path Less Pedaled both have content on the bike, but that's basically it.

Wow,they ship quickly. Should arrive late next week.

:getin:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 5, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I love to hate your silly bike.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Ohhh baby

She's a beaut!

Off the hop, I love the matte color. The shifters are an interesting design. They have crisp mechanical "cha-chunk" to them that I find pleasing.

I took it to the LBS to size it up for some bikepack gear.

The bike came indexed,which was really nice. I adjusted the brakes but I don't have a third hand cable puller thingy so it was a bit more guesswork and hassle. The bars and hoods feel nice,though the bar wraps aren't quite to my taste. They have a strange stickiness to the material.

The seat looks like a cheap peice of poo poo, but felt quite decent on my test ride.

:3: I think we're going to get along just fine.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 12, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Clamp the seatpost vs. the frame. If you clamp it too hard you’d much rather replace the post instead of the frame.

Agreed. However, when I first clamped the frame,there was no seat post installed.

Also, this dinky amazon stand couldn't hurt a bug. It barely keeps together as is.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Coredump posted:

Apparently I cause derails wherever I goooo lol. Also friend reported back on her first ride on the bike. She's able to smoke her SO and feels much more confident on the street. The three of us are gonna go on even more silly riding adventures now.

:3: one of ussss

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Radddddd

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Bottom Liner posted:

That handlebar roll looks massive. How many liters?

I got it second hand but I think it's 15L.

It fits but barely.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

amenenema posted:

Turns out the new gruppo is as good outside as it is on the trainer!

GR!

Sup neighbor

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's really good condition! and yeah the Nomade would have been their entry level ten-speed, so weight was not a concern with those

someone here was selling a still-in-box top-of-the-line Le Champ and I was almost tempted to put down the $1200 they were asking

and including the old-school gear ratios :allears:

(and the coolest dork disc i've ever seen)

For the uninitiated, what is the deal with this bike?

I'm out of the loop but want some nerd talk

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Understood!

Thanks for the context.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
:stonkhat:

The Empire of Dirt provides.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You know, for such a flashy brand, their work stand is very matte and nondescript.

Sick find though. There's a nice campy floating around the metro detroit craigslist and it's a good looking bike but not my size. :confuoot:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Krogort posted:

New bike day !
Looking fast but it’s not going to last as it will soon receive mudguards and a rack.
Those tires are terribly slow compared to my road bike , but they make bike itself is much more comfy despite it being full aluminium.

I was busy looking at the frame, I didn't notice the drive train!

That thing is pretty cool! What gearing is available to you through that?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

That's a short looking chainstay. Nice wheels

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

spf3million posted:

Fiiinnnnalllyy finished this guy. Can't believe I got it back in rev 4 of the megathread.

I've got 2 of these conversions on the mind. A friend wants a Gary Fisher converted and I have plans for a bianchi peregrine from 95.

So you have your parts list for converting the threaded fork to something modern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
So many questions.

Look at that fuckin' bike! :eyepop: