Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bottom Liner posted:

get a helmet with some vents too unless you wanna cook your brain

Also those commuter/urban style helmets tend to score poorly in the Virginia Tech / IIHS helmet safety tests. While not perfect, those test protocols are all we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

redcheval posted:

It does have vents on the top and back (it’s a Thousand helmet) but this was just what I had kickin around for my cruiser. Bike helmet recommendations are definitely welcome!

Helmets are only as safe as how well they fit your head, so there's no definitive recommendation. Best bet is always to try them on, which may be difficult during the pandemic. When trying a helmet on, there should be even pressure all around your head. You should be able to tighten the fit system/dial down and the helmet should grip your skin. If you push the tip of the helmet up, it should move the skin with it rather than slide along it.

MIPS is a safety feature probably worth shopping for. It no longer carries a huge price premium and it has no obvious downsides.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 6, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Chill Callahan posted:

May or may not have gone nuts on this build but its 100% Italian in one way or another (sans pedals)

Tires made by Lion in Thighland. Redo with Veloflex Corsas.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

cebrail posted:

E-Fatbike

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 14, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a more proper pic of the ritchey outside, now with ultegra pedals and matching bottle cages. you can see the city if you zoom in and squint!

You need the 2x9 1990s Ritchey groupset.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Oh hello, criminally too modern and proper pie plate-less thread.

It's trainer tire season still :(

99th percentile femur length detected.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Teaser.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

EvilJoven posted:

45nrth Wolvhammer BOA. They normally retail for $400 Canadian but I didn't pay nearly that much. I'm hoping that the covid bike boom turns into a huge crop of new riders that want gear like this. It'd maybe open up the market and drive prices down and make it more accessible to everyone.

2020 was the year that supply eventually got drained.
2021 will be the year that the supply chain didn't recover...those backorder dates I'm seeing for all kinds of components are probably realistic.

I also don't think a bike boom would have a significant impact on niche markets like freezing cold weather cycling shoes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That's a short looking chainstay. Nice wheels

The chainstays are typical length. Look at the distance between the end of the crank and the tire.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

So insanely jealous. Living in NZ has its perks but also it's a lot harder to get sick bikes.

Paul regularly ships his frames all over the world.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

iospace posted:

Do your bars say moist?

Yes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mikemelbrooks posted:

I have the same bottle cages, they ejected a water bottle today and I turn around just to see a car run over it.

What kind of bottles? Those Bontrager cages have never ejected Purists for me, and I race Copperopolis every year.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mikemelbrooks posted:

Elite fly, I had just removed the last of the logos from the bottle so I guess the bottle was extra slippery, but it wasn't the first time it had happened.

I find that bottles with fat necks tend to wiggle out over time. So Camelbak Podium 2.0/3.0, Elite Fly, SiS, Tacx, etc.

Purists and other "traditionally" shaped bottles are held in better by that tab on most bottle cages.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The Madone is a gravel bike.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Wifi Toilet posted:

Nice bowling ball

I'm jealous

What do you think I named my bike on Strava?

tylertfb posted:

Yeah, it doesn't even have an aero speed-hole. Might as well relegate it to gravel and commuting duty.

It will have a hole in the seattube soon.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I found deep clay mud and it turns out wheels stop spinning when it's mud + 0.5mm clearance.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Bottom Liner posted:

Keep going and it’ll create more clearance on its own.

Enhance!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
New shoes from Singapore:

69mm depth
23mm internal
35mm external (31mm at the edge)
hooked
DT Swiss 180 hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes
1549g ... The owner of the company offered to go through their stock and find their lightest rims for me.

Overall impressions... very, very good.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nah, doubt you’ll need new anything. I’d pull the pads and look at them, at worst you might need to sand them a bit and clean the rotors.

My one time improperly bedding in my rotors meant they were toast. There was a pulse once per revolution that I couldn't completely get rid of with careful sanding (of the rotor's surface.)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Phthisis posted:

Do these actually hold up? I would expect them to break apart almost immediately.

Yeah,. uh, don't even try to put a frozen bottle in one of those. If one manages to wedge it in without breaking, it's going to break over the first bump/pothole.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Shot on iPhone.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Heliosicle posted:

:drat:

What wheels are those?

Light Bicycle WR50s.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Heliosicle posted:

Huh, looking at the rim profile they seem identical to these https://www.duke-racingwheels.com/duke-world-runner-carbon-38-50/?lang=en which I was looking at

Also what width tyres did you use and how wide do they actually measure?

E: for the new page

I love this thing so much, it lets me do the kind of riding I dreamt of as a kid

If you get Dukes, get Baccara Xs. Their more up-to-date website is https://www.jpracingbike1.com/

I'm running 28mm GP5K S TRs, and they measure over 31mm.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

eeenmachine posted:

Oh man I was drooling over these shots on reddit this morning. What a bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

eeenmachine posted:

I wonder how much poo poo I would get putting those bars on my Domane+ :eyepop:

E-bikes should have all-aero-everything to help with range.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

smh that probably wasn't even tested in a wind tunnel

Needs a dropper post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable