Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

redcheval posted:

I am a bike baby who has only been riding my townie cruiser that I dug out of storage around my neighborhood for the last couple months. I feel like I lucked out in a major way by finding this at the bike shop this morning, the sole hot mayo Midnight Special, and in my size no less. Hot dog. I absolutely love it. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bikes but I'm pretty pumped about it, and already fantasizing about getting a brown leather saddle and brown grip tape to make it all coordinated.
Sweet ride, welcome to the bike addiction club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bicievino posted:

get hammered copper fenders.
+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
NBD

Needed a lightweight travel bike with an easy-to-remove fork so it'd fit in my case. 17.4 lbs as pictured. Steel, still real.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Good lord it's going to be so much faster.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Those brakes look flexy as hell. But that is a handsome looking frame and drivetrain.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Koth posted:

Haha this is exactly what I thought, but I didn't want to make the effort to type it out.
:same:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

DELETE CASCADE posted:

new road bichael!
Nice bichael, it's so shiny

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:eyepop:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

That's the politest phrasing of "that broad is tall" i've yet heard.
I think it was more a comment on the degree of setback you're rolling with.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
So cool

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

rngd in the womb posted:

I gotta' take better pics and also maybe that particular streetlight shouldn't exist. And.. and... but I ride this bike the most and I love the poo poo out of it. A most excellent bike. (if only it could fit 28s though)
Cool bike. Is it a Century?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Holy poo poo

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
:eyepop:
must know more

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

N+1

It's beat to hell and needs a lot of love but I'm excited to have another project. This will be my first time working on a mtb. Will I have luck asking mtb questions here or do the sweaty woodsmen mostly stick to their own thread?

spf3million posted:

90s MTB drop bar conversion project is moving along. I decided I'm going to get it riding again on the relative cheap using as much from the parts bin as I can, just to prove out the proof of concept. If it rides well, I'm planning on prettying it up to be more in line with the quality of the frame and bling bits that came with it.

This weekend I scooped up a NOS Manitou Skareb Super on craigslist to replace the old and busted RockShox Mag21:

Then as I was tearing it down, I found this gem:

I was going to just replace it with a UN-55 but this thing it pretty high end and half the weight of the UN-55. The bearings still spin well so I cleaned it up and popped it back in. Figured if I'm going with a square taper (for now), it might as well be titanium.

Next up are deciding on a shifting mechanism and finding some brake levers.

spf3million posted:

The 90s MTB drop bar conversion project has been in hibernation, finally moved the needle again today.

Reused:
Frame, Thomson post, 8spd deore XT RD, FD, triple crank, Chris King front and rear hubs, Chris King headset, canti rear brake

New/repurposed:
3x10spd 105 shifters, 11-36 10spd cassette, Alex Adventure II rims set up tubeless with 26x2.1" gravelking SK, Manitou Skareb Super fork, new BMX V-brake in the front, lovely saddle, generic gravel bars, shorty cheap stem

Shifts great but I'll need to pick up a goat link, can't make it into the biggest three gears. I've only gone around the block but it rides over kerbs really well!
Fiiinnnnalllyy finished this guy. Can't believe I got it back in rev 4 of the megathread.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've got 2 of these conversions on the mind. A friend wants a Gary Fisher converted and I have plans for a bianchi peregrine from 95.

So you have your parts list for converting the threaded fork to something modern?
Be careful, they aren't cheap. Luckily mine came with a chris king threadless headset and an old and busted rockshox judy fork. I found the skarab fork on ebay and reused the headset.

Cool bike, enjoy!

Havana Affair posted:

It's a late-seventies Bridgestone Submariner, made in Japan with a stainless steel main triangle. The idea was that it wouldn't rust on a coast. The grey box on the chainstay is an electric automatic gearbox for a Nexus 3 hub from early 2000s.
Very interesting. By "automatic" do you mean it shifts on its own somehow? Did you DIY the front rack support on the drive side?
Really nicely done.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It's alive! :science::awesomelon:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

mikemelbrooks posted:

First ride out on my new old wheels!

The most photographed petrol pumps in the county.
]
So, so good

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

trufflefoo posted:

Found this bridge/viaduct thing. Apparently it’s from a film or something…

Very good IMO

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Biggus Duckus posted:

I was blessed to have Swift Industries do their flagship Swift Campout ride out of Portland this year. About 25 of us started from Portland and took some back/gravel roads out to the Timber area. Food, shelter, and clothing were on us, but Snow Peak outfitted the campsite with chairs, firepits, water, beverages, and breakfast. We learned about sustainable forest and timber development, and then enjoyed the rest of the night around the fires. Got to fly through Forest Park and down Thurman as our last hurrah.

One guy made giant pigs-in-a-blanket with sausages, cheese, and Pillsbury Doughboy croissants, and I'm pretty sure that's going to be a camping staple for me from now on.

Still the best paint itt. Looks like an awesome outing! Was that a pound of ground beef on the grill?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

In contrast, here's my silly junky fixed gear, now complete with not-broken cranks and pedals:

Good choice with the fluted seat post.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

mexecan posted:

Gulf CAAD update. Switched out the wheels in the last year. And a crank upgrade.

Also considering selling. I rarely ride group rides anymore let alone compete. Something like an Aspero with two sets of wheels (road/gravel) is probably in my future.

Ungh so hot right now

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

FredLordofCheese posted:

So now I can swap wheelsets to go between adventure and commuter

In conclusion, gently caress yeah bikes.

Very good :hmmyes:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Gonna be rad. I love that stand, one of my best purchases to wrench on bikes.
I was admiring it too, who makes it? Is it better than a traditional stand?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Some excellent content on this page!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

z16bitsega posted:

Won this at an online auction a few weeks ago and finally picked it up yesterday.

I am so excited to actually own one of these.
Now I have all winter to get my fat rear end into shape so I can actually ride it!
Hell yeah chrome bikes. Dope as hell.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

sunday brunch posted:

I'm starting a new job in January so I thought I'd take advantage of staff prices at my current one. Ignore the Rapha bag, it doesn't fit properly and is Rapha.
Frameset, wheels and lights are new, the rest is taken off my old bike. It's an All City Super Professional 52cm, wheels are H+Son Hydras on a SON28 on the front and an oilslick NS rotary hub rear (clearance find). B+M lights. Drivetrain is a SRAM/Shimano/Box/Absolute Black mongrel that works like a charm. Brakes are SLX.

kickin rad

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bicievino posted:

Finally managed to track down all the parts I needed to get my new gravel bike built up.

It's a Carbonda CFR707. Very happy with how it rides - quite snappy.
The shifters look ridiculous, but I can't stop my brain from wanting to get narrow and aero. It just feels right!

flagged nsfw :eyepop:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

eeenmachine posted:

Another angle to show the color variation

Ungh

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Tommasini Super Prestige is rounding into its final form :italy:

Weighs exactly 20 lbs / 9 kg. A couple sizes too big for me but run what you brung. It's been fun agonizing over every detail. Might get some Shamals at some point down the road.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 20, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I've barely been riding lately after hurting my back again. While I do physio and exercises and gentle cruiser rides to heal my back I have been tinkering with this and more or less got it how I want it.

My only gripes are purely aesthetic ones, I couldn't find a longer Silca Impero in the right blue, so I had to use an umbrella clip. And I didn't notice how brown my old Turbo saddle was until it was on the bike next to the new bar tape. E. And the black plastic cable housing end on the cable stop on the chainstay, I have to find a chrome one at the bike shop sometime.

Anyway I can't wait to ride it. Spring is on the way here.
oohlala. The saddle will match the bar tape soon enough.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

eeenmachine posted:

Sometime I just sit and stare at the paint job on this bike…

The Cervelo is so hot right now

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Holy hell

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

New bar bike let's gooo

spf3million fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 1, 2022

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

CopperHound posted:

I don't think you have have self control to not bling that out.

A month year from now we're going to see this bike with rene herse tires, paul brakes, and SON lighting.
ftfy

Otherwise, I feel very seen

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Mauser posted:

Well, I put this thing together and the rain finally cleared so I waited for some dryness to bed in the brakes thanks to this thread.

I gotta put on the racks for an upcoming camping trip and make some adjustments after the first ride.

oohh la la

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I work in an industrial facility with a large outdoor footprint. Over the years I have brought a number of my bikes to work for my colleagues and me to use since the company supplied bikes are basically unrideable. I did the annual tube up this weekend: