Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

amenenema posted:

Rockhopper conversion continues to own bones.

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Chill Callahan posted:

May or may not have gone nuts on this build but its 100% Italian in one way or another (sans pedals)

Nice bike. Good to see a shiny vintage bike once in a while, as much as I appreciate a patina or whatever radavist would call it

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

^^^

DELETE CASCADE posted:

maybe it's just me but those pedals with the little screw studs on them look hella uncomfortable. what is wrong with just a scalloped edge

They actually pretty good even in casual shoes. Honestly you can't feel the studs.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

amenenema posted:

Thanks!

So any reason why this wouldn't work as a carbon fork for it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Zoll-MT...353.m1438.l2649

26", 1 1/8, threadless, canti. Hard combo to find!

Measure your axle to crown and see if it's in the ballpark of 420 mm

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Koth posted:

I finally finished this build after having the frame for over a month.

2017 Surly Troll

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Chris at Kelly Bikes in Nevada City

This.
Bike.
Y’all.
:popeye:

Some of those leading spokes on your rear wheel look like they're taking a sharp turn at the nipple. Is that more normal for small wheels?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

frogbs posted:

Put the Ahearne/MAP bars on my Disc Trucker EUROSPORT.

Nice cockpit

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Does one of those actuate the quick release? Like the design is to have the wheel loose while riding and changing gears? :stonk:

E: backpedal while shifting?

I saw one of these in action at the bike museum in fairfax, CA. The way the docent explained it, the wheel crawls up and down the teeth in the dropout and it's not loose like a quick release.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Lol that’s incredible. Where are that this is street legal

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That unicrown fork might be carbon fiber under the paint

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That bike looks hella fun. Cool build

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Crust Crew yeah buddy

That bike needs some leopard print SOMEWHERE

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The wiring is fine as is but I've had success fishing the flimsy B&M wire through steel forks if you have the little vent holes

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

That's the one thank you!

E. Sort of feel like I should post a picture after all the talking. When I bought that Silca for my other bike I got a black one as well, I think it looks pretty good on my black bike. I love this bike, but something about it bugs me I think it's the crankset. I have a 10 speed Record one I could replace it with but it'd be kind of silly just for looks although I've done worse. It looks better in person.

Pleasantly anachronistic

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Colonel J posted:

This guy was 40$ at the local goodwill. When I saw it I thought "eh seems like a good deal but I have enough bikes". Next morning I ended up getting up really early and waiting at the door before it opened to snatch it! It's amazingly clean and seems to be all original parts, but I don't know much about these bikes.

Uh that's an incredible steal. That bike is probably worth 10-20x that. What does the rear derailer say?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Crankset kinda makes it look like its a Triomphe groupset (https://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?GroupID=6fcbebf5-b6ea-4beb-8dbb-782865a31640) but the brake levers are different :shrug:

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Babby's first full custom build. I picked up a beat up Trek 930 from the late 90's and painted the frame magenta (first time spray painting anything). Fork is a random surly fork in similar condition. This frame rides smoothly! I had not expected to notice, but even compared to my aluminum 140mm hard tail on 2.8 tires, this feels smoother on paved ground.

Use case is coffee runs and paved path riding. I'll probably fit a basket to the front eventually.

Y'all got any suggestions for a bar and stem combo that would be more comfy for the wife? She's a little short for the frame, so more back sweep and rise would be nice. She didn't like my MTB bro bar..

Ahearne MAP handlebars are my favorite but yea lots to choose from.

Don’t think it’s being updated anymore but this is decent for comparing bar sweep, width, and rise

https://whatbars.com

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

drat I had a sick Faggin fixie with moustache bars. I had to sell it when I moved :/

They actually are still making bikes!
https://www.fagginbikes.com/en/bikes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Development posted:

nbd! tracklocross frame brazed by a goon, crankset bought from a goon and saddle bag made by a goon!

That bike looks fun as hell. What's the little nubbin fastening the cable housing together called?