Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

CopperHound posted:

I like bikes that get ridden a lot.

:hmmyes:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why don't you just keep it inside?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was just being snide, I know sometimes it's just not an option to store a bike inside, but now I'm confused. You moved to a bigger place and now there's not room to keep it inside?

Cool bike though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jonny Quest posted:

Somehow I never thought of putting Gulf livery on a bike, and now I'm intrigued at the potential.

Gulf livery best livery

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Please get your eyes checked

it's my bike and it makes me happy so :goatsecx:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh that's probably an Instagram filter. I color matched gulf oil livery as close as possible.

Also maybe check your monitor because while the image is oversaturated, that ain't red.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 5, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

New bike day :v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

#26aintdead

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I was overcome by an urge to build bikes and this was the first couple piles of parts to fall into my lap. Started as a neglected SE Draft in a backyard. BB sounded and felt like a pepper grinder, wheels were out of true, freewheel was bad, brakes were...there, paint was pretty poo poo. Fork, stem, and surprisingly the headset were all fine. I de-rusted the frame inside (mostly) and out, sanded it a bit, and gave it a stand-back-and-squint Rustoleum paint job pretty close the original color. Meanwhile, I found a guy selling all the parts of a ss/fixie he never assembled, including an older steel frame I'm keeping for a future build. From him, I got new Chinese cranks, pedals, and wheels, and a Sram chain. Brand new UN26 BB dug out of a bin at the local coop, a pair of pretty nice new dual pivot Tektro brakes, a take-off saddle, and wider, higher, more pullback bars, all from the coop.
All together and not counting a couple new tools, I think I'm in for $206, including a new set of cowhorn bars, unfinished steel frame, some new bar tape, and a whole drat 1989 Fuji Tahoe not featured in this build.
I'm going to let my sister ride it in a bike parade coming up, probably dink around on it myself for a while, and sell it when I get around to building a single speed steel townie with a cooler older frame and nicer components.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've been wanting to build a single speed townie on an older steel frame. To scratch the itch till the right frame came up on local Facebook/Craigslist, I grabbed an old SE Draft from the backyard of a house I do maintenance for and built it up with Ebay parts. It turned out pretty well but I don't want to have a heavy single speed on a cheap drivetrain and wheels. This is for sale but I think I've got it listed too high to even get bites. I want to break even on it (maybe $200 in donor bike, parts, and paint?) but that might not happen. Brand new ones are around $300 so I listed it for that with the expectation of dickering down to low-mid 200s. Except for lightly used brakes, bar, pedals, and saddle, it's all brand new parts on the frame.

I planned to sell the above bike to fund the purchase of whatever frame and parts turned up for building the one I really wanted. But then this turned up, nearly completely built and I couldn't pass it up. All I did was put new brakes and levers on, add the little inboard bar end nubs, and wrap the bars. I love this thing, it's really light and flexy compared to the SE. Very :italy:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah
Ridden bike best bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just use your kickstand, jeez

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Changed a bunch of stuff:

Still need to do a few things like grips, nicer stem and bar, adjust the seat

Bike absolutely rules though

That's a good bike.

What do you mean nicer stem? Newer shinier quill stem or quill stem adapter to play with threadless stems?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

There's a few Tektro levers like that, it depends on having good calipers and a true wheel to realize any benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Leroy Diplowski posted:

This year's project is dynamo hub and igh conversion for the grocery getter.

Hell yeah.
What's up with the brake lever angles?