Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Hoopy Frood posted:

I like Giants.
Apparently I like black Giants (and I posted this before I realised there's a movement against black bikes on this very page).

Black Bikes Matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Har har.

If stainless is uncommon and expensive then it's probably aluminium, and I guess the wire cup I used isn't very harsh. I was basing my assumption on all of about 10mins of googling things like "how to tell stainless vs aluminum."
Those welds are a dead give away, it's aluminium.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
First ride out on my new old wheels!

The most photographed petrol pumps in the county.
]

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I picked up my N+1, a Cannondale supersix Evo Hi Mod. The guy selling it got knocked off by a car breaking his collar bone, and this bike was the replacement, its got around 25miles on it, and the guy has lost his nerve and is going to stick to gravel.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

MacPac posted:

finished my aliexpress mix and match bike just in time for it to be stowed away for winter. Building a bike up from parts is fun, but getting the cables at the front looking neat is hard.

Its got shimano 105 brakes but other then that its all Chinese stuff weighing in at 7,2kg with bottle cages and pedals

I have the same bottle cages, they ejected a water bottle today and I turn around just to see a car run over it.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

TobinHatesYou posted:

What kind of bottles? Those Bontrager cages have never ejected Purists for me, and I race Copperopolis every year.

Elite fly, I had just removed the last of the logos from the bottle so I guess the bottle was extra slippery, but it wasn't the first time it had happened.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Jestery posted:

While are on topic of recumbents

I've seen some recumbents set up so that the drivetrain in part of the steering assembly

Is this really a thing?, It seems like it would unduly impact steering and cause other issues?
Yes it is a thing, but anything over walking speed you don't tend to move your handlebars more than a few degrees,

BlancoNino posted:

You won't be doing any hard cornering on a recumbent, and with the chains as long as they are you can get away with a lot of flex.
Recumbents can corner as hard as any other bike, the center of gravity is usually quite low, and you never risk grounding a pedal.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Not really mine, but I am storing and piloting this beast of a tandem. Thats Stuart owner and stoker.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

CH Science posted:

Have had a set on my mtb for about a year now that have done fine. Not sure what the other poster is talking about with the frozen bottle thing? Do you unscrew the top and chew on the ice? Or are you counting on it melting over the course of the ride? Might have to give that a try on my next century

The trick is to fill one bottle 3/4 full and put in the freezer overnight, then top up with cold water just before you ride so you have water to drink straight away. make sure to put it in the freezer standing upright or you will have to wait until it thaws to drink.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Slavvy posted:

F500 final day

I am very, very glad that's over.

I missed out this year, twisted my knee half way through. I did manage to pass 9000 miles for the year though. So that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Jestery posted:

This is correct, and I likely will later

Part of this build was to have it be easily swapped out between it's modes if I have need to carry a second person

When I used to ride my old tandem solo ( it had clips and straps on the back) to stop them from scraping on the floor I used a couple of bungee cords attached to the front pedals.

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 12, 2023