Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still have reflectors on my bike :colbert:

I also ride at night, and gently caress you if you think I'm not leaving them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kill me now posted:

Fun colors are better, but matte black can be good

Wrong, 2400 miles on mine and it looks exactly like it did when I got it

and I'm not doing anything fancy, just some sprayway glass cleaner and a microfiber towel once in a while.

Ok, I think gold chains are overrated, but come the gently caress on and slap one on that bike.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When I'm not using it for commuting:

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 26, 2020

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Found a good wall

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gonna be sad when the trail is snowed over.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finally got my SKs back on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bicievino posted:

New Bike Weekend

Need to decide what front wheel to get for it, but man, it feels good.

Do your bars say moist?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup, it's green

Soon to have better* tires on it.

*Brown sidewalls are coming back, bitches! (Also my rear has two plugs in it already, so I'm calling it a life for that one).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good news: new tires installed. Bad news: needed tubes, which are still in there.

Apparently WTB road rims suck so hard that the local shop won't set them up tubeless anymore.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

jamal posted:

I've done plenty of tubeless setups on wtb rims since like every kona comes with them and haven't really had any issues. My experience is more that panaracers suck to set up.

I'll see how my studs go in the fall, but I'm probably gonna need a new wheel set after this winter anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The lake was really pretty today

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evil_bunnY posted:

How the gently caress do you have a used bike shop with 2 decent looking tandems for sale? I would have snapped one up so fast.

No clue! Milwaukee, I guess? :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The cooler was already in my possession. The straps and the bin? 25 bucks all told (there's a second set of straps I got as well).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bit of a bittersweet post here.

First off, bike pic.

Ok fine, bikes.

The gray bike was the bike I was riding when I went from person who "mostly drives everywhere" to "person who bikes everywhere." It's a Gary Fisher Marlin Disc. I got it back in 2006, and I couldn't believe that they made bikes with disc brakes. Naturally, I had to have it.

I didn't ride it as much back then, as locking my bike up and unlocking it all the time was a pain in the butt at school, so I switched over to walking for most of my getting around.

I forget when it was, but I once hauled it out to ride Glacial Drumlin Trail. Somehow, I spent the entire time talking to a retiree about bikes, life, everything. He was an old postal worker who never owned a car and tried to bike every day he can.

That was sort of the change for me, because if he could do that, why couldn't me?

After that point, I started riding my bike to work, instead of driving a half a mile (yeah I know). I kept on going further on it every day, even in the winter. Eventually, I got my Journeyman and the rest is history. What was once my daily was relegated to "if the Journeyman is in the shop" duty.

Yesterday I strapped it to my Kombi and hauled it downtown, its final trip. I took what parts I wanted off of it (really the bottle cages and the grips). I would have had three bikes, and well, sadly, it was time to let that one go. I donated it to one of the co-ops around here, a 10.25 mile trip. It was sad to see it go, but at the same time, hopefully someone else can make as much use of it as I did.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Steve French posted:

New bichael day

Still needs some tweaks:

brake cables are too long; they looked close enough as they came without cutting them and I wanted to build the bike fast last night so I could ride it this morning. When I'm less lazy I'll cut them down a bit, and maybe replace the cheapo bartape at the same time.

I started with using all the spacers on the steerer, wanting to err on the side of cutting it too little rather than too much. After a ride on it, I think most of them are gonna go and I'll cut the steerer again. I erred on the larger side when choosing the frame size so slammed stem is probably in order.

I'm generally not picky about saddles, and the wtb silverado that came with this is also what I've had on a number of mountain bikes, and I don't mind it, but aesthetically it feels a bit too chonk for this bike, so I might replace it at some point.

Jury is out on the maxxis ramblers that came with the bike; I'm a big fan of wtb nanos but will probably wear these out before replacing them. Might try something a touch larger; Ibis says officially it has clearance for 40, but the gap it has now is pretty generous and we don't often get sticky mud that would cause the biggest problems with tight clearance.

Whatever you get next needs brown/tan sidewalls.

Awesome bike otherwise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Big Blue got some new parts! But the real fun is en route, and it's gonna be stupid.

In the good way! But here we go:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jestery posted:

Goddamn this is like my grail bike

I forgot to post the final version here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sim posted:

Moved to a new town with a ton of multi-use paths and two fairly decent grocery options by bike, so I splurged on my dream car-replacement bicycle:

Hell yeah, cargo bike crew.

Was much more stable than you would think it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Slavvy posted:

I'm going to choose to imagine the stuff on the back is an enormous haggis

If only. Three bags of mulch.