Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

e.pilot posted:

THE RULES:
Big ring
Small Cog
Valves at 12 or 6
Crank at 3
Centered Tire Logos
No Bottles
No Bags (unless there’s LOTS of bags)
No Lights

Bonus Points:
In front of a good wall
Gold chain
Pro Fit

Negative Points:
Reflectors

Do we get braggin rights for going into the negatives? I think one of my bikes still has the dork disc AND reflectors on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

redcheval posted:

I am a bike baby who has only been riding my townie cruiser that I dug out of storage around my neighborhood for the last couple months. I feel like I lucked out in a major way by finding this at the bike shop this morning, the sole hot mayo Midnight Special, and in my size no less. Hot dog. I absolutely love it. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to bikes but I'm pretty pumped about it, and already fantasizing about getting a brown leather saddle and brown grip tape to make it all coordinated.

Welcome to the club. Making your bike coordinated and to your style is part of the fun and is encouraged. Have fun out there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Prof. Crocodile posted:

hi tgo, i am visiting from byob and thought i would participate in your local customs by sharing a pic of my bike parked in front of a thing

i removed the handlebar streamers and safety flag to comply with your bike photo rules, but the dork disk stays put :colbert:

Dork Disc are ok™

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mauser posted:

Can I ask what you're doing with the rockhopper? I got a '98 that's a little small for me that I was using as a commuter for a couple years with slick tires, but now I'm not sure what to do with it. Sorry if you posted upthread about it already

I have a Giant Yukon that was also borderline too small for me and I have converted to rigid fork and slick tires. I even changed the wheels to 650b (27.5”). If you were considering doing a drop bar conversion (do it) I believe road bikes tend to have a longer stem then mountain bikes so that would help with reach. And it’s not uncommon to see cross country mountain bikes with their seat post raised like sky jackers. I think due to the sloping top tube. With bike prices the way they are right now if you got an old mountain bike around then you can easily change it to an all road / gravel bike and keep riding.

They even have dropbars as that accept mountain bike controls as I have them on my crazy front wheel drive bike and then they make drop bar shifters that will shift Shimano 2x10 mountain bike group sets.

edit: These bars and a longer stem might have you back on that bike.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 3, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Red bar tape forever club

Hey I'm in this club hooray.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Vagina Jones posted:

NBD - I know its a tri bike but I don't care!

This thing looks like the future. I wanna add EL wire to it to make it a tron bike.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

a foolish pianist posted:

Two Salsas after a gravel ride in east Georgia:

Where do you like to ride out in East Georgia? I'm willing to make the trip and I got a Stuntman that needs some gravel miles.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I finally did it. I can say I've done all of the Silver Comet Trail in Georgia. I've been riding chunks of it here and there starting sometime last year I believe. Maybe even further back then that. Did the last chunk finally. I started in Cedartown and I know that's not a long ride by any means but it was the last segment I hadn't done up to this point.

Pics in Cedartown:

Somewhere along the trail:

At the border:

Officially in Alabama:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Bud Manstrong posted:

Love it. Almost (almost) makes me miss riding in the South.

Yeah the riding is nice, but then you're in the South.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

I do miss riding north Georgia and the rolling hills in the eastern part of the state. Not worth moving back but I usually try to grab a bike when I go home to visit.

You got some favorites you wouldn't mind to share? I'm always looking for new places to ride around here.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

Sure. What part of the state are you in?

I'm in Gwinnett but I've traveled out to Rutledge for the BRAG spring tune-up, Carrollton for the greenway around that city, down to Atlanta, etc. I'm willing to go a fair distance to check a place out.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Put together a bike for a friend of mine so she can keep up with us on our goofy riding adventures. I'm pretty pleased with the pedal to handlebar transition.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

She called it a Lisa Frank bike and I think she nailed it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Those are RaceFace Chesters on there. I'll ask her if the spikes scratch her. But yeah any recommendations for other platform pedals I'm all ears. But I'm stuck with they gotta be purple now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

I'm using RaceFace Ride pedals now. I'm pretty sure they come in the same purple.

They do! Thanks for that and I'll pass that along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Apparently I cause derails wherever I goooo lol. Also friend reported back on her first ride on the bike. She's able to smoke her SO and feels much more confident on the street. The three of us are gonna go on even more silly riding adventures now.