Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve French posted:

My kid hauler:

How'd you like this? My LBS has been thinking about carrying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh I thought that yuba was a bunch cheaper :/ We have a Tern GSD that basically does the same thing with 20" wheels for the same money.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steve French posted:

I looked at Tern but opted for the spicy curry because I don't really have any need for the compact aspect of the GSD, living in pretty wide open space with an enormous garage. So more cargo area it is
Sounds good. I already had a bullitt so we didn't need another giganto machine. Glad you like yours, I've told my LBS the experience seems to be positive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i hate spec as a brand and still have their saddles on 2 of my bikes. they’re good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jet sanchEz posted:

Sold both of these recently. The De Rosa was a pretty good fit but I just wasn't riding it enough. The Land Shark was always a bit too small, I just bought it because it's a cool bike.

v cool whips

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh heck yeah

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

in preparation for tomorrow's forecasted 6" of snow:
After:

You're a braver man than I, swapping to drops for winter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

heck yeah

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Who did you let ride it?
call the coroner

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Get some studded tires and go have a great time on that
Only when going straight.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

This is why I wear a ski helmet without EPS foam when playing around on ice
yeah those soft-shell giros are the bomb.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

loaf posted:

I was afraid of making permanent changes since I have no idea what I'm doing, but it's way past time to chop the steerer. It was much easier than I expected! All I needed was a $20 tube cutter from the hardware store. I drove the star nut with a socket and a hammer.

With silver fenders and rack it'll be :perfect:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I don't think that's a coyote :ohdear:
You'll make a delicious meal, don't worry

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Cyberpunk 250W
I loving hate velomobiles but that coroplast contraption owns bones. Also the the NZ ebikes rules are insane!

did you document your LED setup?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I don't love dirt pedals with the little studs. The way ride around town, they wind up scratching the hell out of my shins. If she also has that problem, RaceFace (and I assume other manufacturers) make plastic platform pedals without the metal studs that work almost as well, and won't scratch her up.
I ride downhill pedals in my cargo bike and I've never, ever hurt myself on them.

Safety Dance posted:

Gotta bonk the pedals into position whenever I stop at a light. I might do that a hundred times on a 15 mile ride around Manhattan.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You're supposed to put your feet on them
Either lift with your toes or kick down and catch with your sole. Why are you purposefully catching your pedal with your goddamn shin what the gently caress

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I thought it was easier to spend 20 bucks on new pedals than retrain my muscle memory. It turns out there are a bunch of different ways to do the same thing
Now you'll be doing it wrong FOREVER

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No, but for flat-ish errands and commutes single speed owns.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krogort posted:

New bike day !
Looking fast but it’s not going to last as it will soon receive mudguards and a rack.
Those tires are terribly slow compared to my road bike , but they make bike itself is much more comfy despite it being full aluminium.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS. I rode something similar in the Netherlands (flat bar, short reach road bike with a belt and IGH) and it loving owns for cruising around.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What the gently caress

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Samopsa posted:

this was basically the last carbon road bike under 3000 euros for sale in my size in the Netherlands

(TCR Advanced Disk 1, 2021 model)
Takes a lot of bike to make that crank look good! Nice whip.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:discourse:

:sickos:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 24, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What's that stem dealie? And where is that steerer bottle cage in the folded position?
It's a (tool-free) fully adjustable dealie that doesn't suck.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Havana Affair posted:

It's a late-seventies Bridgestone Submariner, made in Japan with a stainless steel main triangle.
That's pretty AF but that shifter has Got to Go.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lodie posted:

new tape + tires

:sickos:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

My toddler got into the habit of grabbing onto my saddle as I put him into the bike seat and not letting go, forcing me to ride standing up.
On a lark I looked for cargo bikes on Craigslist and found something that fit the bill for my needs:
- can carry two seats
- compact enough to take in and out of the basement (and up the outside stairs if I'm parking temporarily)

The Tern Cargo Node is basically Tern's Node frame (running 24" wheels) with disc mounts and then a standard Xtracycle cargo retrofit kit.
It's so not-bespoke that there's still the hanger at the original axle:

Also note the plastic roller idler for suspending the untensioned bottom half of the chain.

Deployed vs folded:

So far, it's working out. It's shorter than a normal bike when folded, but wider, and has no easy way to grab around the deck with the bike seat installed.
Still, it's a bit more wieldy than a normal bike for the up/down stairs use case.

The Andros adjustable stem seemed gimmicky when I first heard about it, but in this application, it's nice -- I don't bother folding down the steerer and the bars and saddle are close enough in height where I need to swing the stem down to tuck the bars under the saddle. It's definitely more solid feeling than I expected.

Having a frame mounted front rack is the most trippy part. I apparently was verifying my steering angle subconciously by looking on my peripheral vision for my front basket to swing with the bars as I steered, and with this rack visually turning away from the bars, I kept overadjusting my steering every time I thought the basket (and therefore bars) weren't turning, exacerbated by the fact that I'm used to turning the weight of the load in the basket. But in the long run, it'll be nice -- no variation between morning and night when dropping the toddler and supplies off at daycare.

Turning circle is mostly ok, but again I'm not used to the front rack sticking out to the outside of the turn, required more clearance on tight turns.

Coming with dynamo and lights is a nice bonus.
Baller that you found something you like! Tern stuff is decent. The andros stem's really good as far as adjustable things go.
Frame mounted front racks are The Way, it's so loving annoying/dicey steering a bike with a loaded bar/fork rack.

AEMINAL posted:

Just upgraded my 3x7 to a 1x9!

Older rigids are the best commuters.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

AEMINAL posted:

I work at a bike shop now doing IT poo poo, and I get B2B prices for all my parts and expert mechanic help from my fellow coworkers :-)
the dream

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Very fun for tooling around local paths and nice to just carry a proper chain lock in the basket without any hassle.
That bag owns, and that wiring is loving disgusting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jestery posted:

I saw this yesterday

Hahahaha those exposed balance wires holy hell

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Hah. The twisty one up the fork? I couldn't find exactly the wire I wanted - some thin non-black coax. Still keeping an eye out for something better than this.
You can buy PVC or silicone cabling in so many casing colors! I recommend blue neg and pink positive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

Any particular vendor? I found some but they were min-qty 500ft.
\
This?
https://www.amazon.com/BNTECHGO-Silicone-Flexible-Stranded-Impedance/dp/B01M3O8VIM

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 9, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ah gently caress i didn’t check it was multi strand. amazon still has some but it’s more limited.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just so we’re clear i agree, that bike is v rad as-is.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mauser posted:

that's very pretty, but my one minor complaint would be that the blue pedals aren't my thing. Having never ridden anything with a belt, what's the benefit over a chain?
It's extremely quiet, it pretty much never wears, and doesn't need lubrication.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eeenmachine posted:

The smoothest drivetrain I’ve ever owned was an ebike with a belt drive and a Nuvinci Envoilo hub.
this is a neat combo and apparently the new hubs aren't as adverse to shifting under load (which wouldn't budge at all if you had foot/assist going).

YES

Slavvy posted:

The main concern off-road would be little stones getting trapped between the belt and pulley right? Seems like you'd have to get awfully lucky for it to happen right where the master link piece is
I've done literal hundreds of kilometers on gravel paths and this has never happened. A couple days ago I did manage to throw the belt half off by letting it ingest a dark rag I hadn't noticed. I popped it back on, good new.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 31, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I had the chance to ride a 5 speed internal hub bike and I thought that + belt drive would be the ideal drivetrain for almost everything.
That's what I have (inter5 di2) on the cargo bike and it's nice but not perfect. It doesn't shift under load, and snaps all the shift you requested once you reduce the load which can be jarring (and noisy).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Oh that sounds unpleasant, so it basically works the opposite of a derailleur? Like you have to back the torque off momentarily to let out change?
Ya. The motor does that for you (because di2 talks to both the assist and the hub) but you still have to let off. Every geared hub I've ridden is like that to some extent.

e.pilot posted:

the alfine 8 is pretty bulletproof, see them on rideshare bikes a lot and if they can handle that kind of neglect and abuse I’m sure I’ll never kill mine
If you don't put e-assist power through them they're really good IME (LBS agrees), the only issue is water pooling in the shifter housing and that's not specific to alfine.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 6, 2022

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ddiddles posted:

Just put together my new bike, been riding ebikes forever and I've forgotten you have to exert yourself to go anywhere on a normal bike. It's pretty awesome.

Every time I get on the road bike after commuting on a 35kg e-cargo bike the first thing in my mind is always "gently caress me the steering's twitchy!", always followed by weeeeeeeee

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

w4ddl3d33 posted:

introducing: the first bike i have ever owned, a barracuda carina

My daughter would shank you for it, great purchase

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I bought this Pelso Brevet carbon fiber frame and built it up as a 1x12.

Weird bikes are the best

Jestery posted:

It's such a different beast, way more communication than expected, but so much potential there
Once you start blowing past SERIOUS CYCLISTS with minimum effort it'll be hard to stop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's an e-bike size DT jesus. Nice whip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh lol I didn't know they reused their normal names for assisted bikes. And lmao at that price.