Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
CX bike is so gravel right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

First ride

i like it a lot

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Despite having a brand new mtb I decided to go for a road ride yesterday

Finally have this thing about the way I want it. new drivetrain parts and bb and pedals, wooshy wheels, a new saddle that seems pretty good (pro stealth), and no loving clicks when I pedal it. Just needs a -17 degree stem. Did screw up blindly ordering that arundel cage because it's 3k weave glossy and I should have gotten UD matte. The downtube cage is the lezyne one that holds a road drive.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 8, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

mexecan posted:

Outstanding. What BB did you pair the crank with? I’m making a similar switch for my CAAD10.

It's a wheels mfg thread together deal. My main clicking was actually the old chainrings on the crankarm. There's a shitload of loctite retaining compound on the new ones. I put in that bb at the same time and still had some clicking afterward and re-tigthened it a little better and replaced the spindle and then also changed pedals and took the pedals off and re-greased and re-tightened them and cleaned out my headset so the more recent noise could have been one of those other things.

I guess the bar end a-junction to clean up the wires a bit would be nice but that means new bars, the jct, a d-fly deal probably, some new wires etc so probably not going to bother.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

These are the 6, and I definitely get pushed around a bit in the wind, especially when I'm going faster. Descents on a breezy day get a little exciting. I put little squares of tape over all the holes in the fairing on the front wheel and it actually made a big improvement

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

To crosswind effects? And also how it sounded?

Yeah in crosswinds. One of my first rides on them I got pushed most of the way across a dirt road by a big gust as I passed a gully. And going downhills on a breezy day got pretty scary. Like, 20ish it's fine in pretty steady winds but going faster, like 35-40 down a hill or and it wasn't pleasant. Could be I've just gotten used to it but I think covering all the holes really made a difference. Much more manageable now. Like the other day I was going 40-45 down some passes and there was a bit of wind blowing and you could feel it but I'm getting moved like a few inches to one side or the other. Haven't done the rear yet. Didn't notice much difference in sound, maybe quieter now?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Got a new stem

Sorry for not taking all that extra poo poo off but I was trying to get in the most possible elevation before dark and probably shouldn't have even stopped to take pictures. Wound up with 5289.

Fun fact, that zipp -17 stem was hitting my dustcap before fully seating, so I put a thin spacer under there, and it was still hitting the edge of the spacer so I had to grind it down to clear.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah pretty ridiculous. At first I assumed it was because the dust cover on my headset has a little ridge around it. Put it on with no spacer, noticed a rubbing (because it was bending the cover) and then looked closer and saw it wasn't fully seated down.

I could track down a thinner one (this is 2.5mm) but with it on there the stem is just enough above the steerer for the top cap to tighten down so I guess it's fine not having it completely slammed.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 27, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A few months ago the LBS owner sent out an email to the team asking if anyone wanted to try to get a new cyclocross bike for this fall. Mostly he's forming a small team for his son and some other younger riders and they are trying to get some frames from kona and parts from shimano. Anyway, given the choice of trying to get a frame to build or a complete bike I went with the complete bike being the way things are. I didn't know when it was going to show up or what model year it'd be, but was expecting sometime later this summer. The other day I was up building this new section of trail for the XC race course at the last minute and fairly annoyed about it when the owner sent me a picture of a box that improved my mood

Surprise new bike day!

2021 Kona Major Jake, coming from my 2012 Orbea Terra. The orbea is short, and tall, and has a 74.2 degree head tube angle and rim brakes and only carries one water bottle, but it was a pretty sweet race bike for awhile, and with better brakes and tubeless 38mm tires it's been pretty good all around and on gravel as well. But having discs and a slacker head tube (71 on this, same as my old hardtail mtb) is going to be really nice.

I would have considered holding out for a 2022 which might have had better paint, but also might have had a worse build for more money, or cannondale's upcoming new cx bike, but I figured take what I can get.

The old bike. not sure what I'm going to do with it, maybe let one of the juniors use it or keep it as a pit and bad weather bike.

Cool thing is they weigh the same, I figured with the hydro discs and not great wheels the kona would be heavier. But the orbea does have lovely fsa cranks on it right now. I really like that it gets the force carbon cranks on a rival build, and I suppose I'll get it some carbon tubulars this fall.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 11, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I got my fancy wheels all built and tires glued up but I haven't put them on yet because the next two races are at a golf course and I think the current tubeless file treads are the best choice there

Also new major jake is out. frame only, all black

Ivan's going to have one black and one green, i wonder if he wants to trade frames

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 6, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

And they only did it on this bike, no other konas.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKCGFiwFJip/

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I like the pro stealth, have 2. Also the fabric scoop.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Those dirt roads are starting to clear up

New wheels on this- Nox skyline to dt240 hubs with 38 terreno zeros.. Came out to 1430g whcih is most of a pound lighter than the stock wheels which kind of sucked. Maybe I should have gone with a different rim as this is the lightest xc one and hookless with a 45psi max printed on it but I don't use more than that and they were lighter so...

Think I'll switch back to the G-ones and throw in some inserts a little later this spring. Not really needed with the lower elevation dirt roads but in the summer when we're doing dumb stuff in the mountains I think I'll want them.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 11, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Still riding this old rim brake cannondale. State champs road race tomorrow so i cleaned it a bit and put on some new tires.

15lbs, 15oz as pictured.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

XC season is getting started around here. First race last friday, tonight we got rained/snowed out. It was nice-ish during the day when i was setting up the course though

Have one in Helena sunday, weather is supposed to be nicer.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 21, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Uh here are the last bike pictures I took

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've done plenty of tubeless setups on wtb rims since like every kona comes with them and haven't really had any issues. My experience is more that panaracers suck to set up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah I'm not really a huge fan, both my stock sets are dented all to poo poo and needed to be trued all the time and are heavy and are just hanging up unused, but tubeless setup was never an issue with the tires I've used on them.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I think the best version of this bike so far

Not the lightest it's been, not the grippiest tires I've had. But still pretty light and fast uphill, and a little more capable overall. Like the tires, the new seatpost, really like the new digressive valving in the shock. Maybe all it needs now is axs.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 17, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cyclocross season

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm not sure the new ski lift is going to be done for this winter

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 31, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Bike I got at the beginning of september is finally mostly together. Fork and cassette showed up last week and I think were worth the wait

Too bad it's winter.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 1, 2022

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I still haven't ridden my new bike.

Have some before and after photos though

out of the box

now

still needs bars/stem. and a different saddle.

If this warm weather keeps up there might be some dryish trails in town in another week or so. Been out road riding a few times lately.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 15, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh lol I didn't know they reused their normal names for assisted bikes. And lmao at that price.

Yeah if it has a "+" in the name it's electric. Or an "e" like the fuel EX-e, or E-caliber. Or uhhh, if it's called the powerfly or rail. hmmm. trek's e-bike naming isn't consistent at all now that I think about it.

cannondale just adds "neo" to everything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I bought wheels for "cross bike as a winter road bike" for some reason

seems like pretty nice wheels, not sure about the tubeless rim strip thing, it was kind of annoying to get on and then made the tires pretty tight too. valve nuts are also kind of not ideal and could have a wider flat section or at least a little curved washer to sit on the rim because it's pretty narrow there. DT 350 hubs but only 18t ratchet. The fenders I assume are more than cancelling out any aerodynamic gains. They sound neat though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 23, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Would be cool to ride this some time. Couple low elevation trails are dry so I'll probably try it out soon. Swapped tires and put on a nicer bar and stem today

Guess it could use some bottle cages.

Also took fenders off the major jake

"we have a domane rsl at home"

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 13, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

We had a hill climb last week so I took off the dropper and swapped on some real flimsy tires.

trip report: need to put everything back. But it is about 20.5lbs as shown.

Also got valves to match the cassette

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 6, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Get a bit of a break from doing event stuff after last week's missoula pro xc and the end of our wed night series. Was nice to just go ride my bike tonight.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Took all the bags and gravel riding poo poo off the major jake

washed bike, serviced freehub, swapped on tubular wheels, rolled hoods back a touch, went to one bottle cage, put new cleats and spikes on the shoes. coaching a cross clinic tomorrow afternoon then we're doing a practice race. Wed series starts next week and then we're hosting pan ams in november.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 12, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

here's a bike on the ground I guess. Just hit 1000mi on it

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Road bike still rides pretty good although it's getting a little old and I want the new supersix. Just annoying how much it'll cost to get the bike I want. Also turns out dumb annoying click on road bike was my other wheel. maybe cracked rim (they're those heds with fairings so can't really look) but I suppose I'll take the freehub/hub apart and see if there's anything obvious there. These wheels are marginally lighter and have tubeless gp5ks at least. They just don't look as cool.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 22, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Sometimes I feel like there's too much poo poo on this bike

but the fenders are really nice in the winter/spring when the roads are wet and grimey. And I need lights because it gets dark. And the frame bag keeps snacks and gloves and tools and stuff.

That was yesterday, now it's 7f and snowing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have some 34 n.exts that I didn't get around to putting back on. Liked them pretty well. Still riding around on the 36 gravel grinders i got for cx. Also vittoria has a new road tire coming out that will come in sizes up to 38 that is supposed to be on the more durable side for commuting/light gravel/etc. the n.exts have been good as an all around bigger slick for my cx bike though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've still got one of them rim brake bikes too. Been meaning to replace it with a new supersix but keep buying other things instead. like last season it was a hardtail xc bike and right now i'm working on a replacement for the major jake. But maybe once the new bike is finished, I sell the jake, and sell my old car, a new road bike will be on the table for this year. Guess I'll keep riding this in the meantime

New bike gonna be cool. Just don't have an eta for the frame better than "probably before the end of april" yet.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

New frame got here the other day and i finished putting it together

Kind of escalated quickly from "it'd be cool to put a 12 speed axs group on my jake" to finding a super discounted oem overstock group and deciding that I should just get a new frame too and then sell my complete bike and i'd practically make money on the deal.

It's an orbea terra, with myO custom paint, sram red, power meter, nox rims to 240 hubs, easton ec90ax bars, zipp carbon post, xt pedals, pro stealth saddle. I already had the wheels, bars, seat, pedals, etc, but then needed to buy freehubs and the right stem and a bigger chainring and bar tape and new tires and all that stuff.

has a snack box in the frame plus big tire clearance. the 40 pirellis measure more like 43-44 on these wheels and there is a ton of room. Orbea says 48 as max measured tire size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ordering a half frame bag because i'm tired of trying to find one that fits as close as possible by looking at a bunch of measurements and charts and stuff. went with rogue panda for not particular reason other than it was easy and they do custom bags. anyhow, got out the good camera to send them a picture and took some other ones out in the sun to show the paint.