Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

yes

bicievino posted:

I dislike all matte paint jobs. They only look good when they're brand new - so hard to clean.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Swapped the wheels, brought it to it's more natural habitat

Sorry not sorry this sign is as close as it gets to a wall around here; wall photo policy is discriminatory towards those with miles of empty forest roads instead of buildings to slap walls on

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I have some bicycles.

My wife's new mountain bike that I'm very envious of:

My mountain bike, which I'll be getting rid of soon. If anyone is itching for a 2015 5010 CC X01 in XL, let me know.

My gravel bike, which I sometimes use as a road bike with a spare set of 700c wheels and 30mm tires, but mostly lives its life like this. Just finally put the third bottle cage on today because most of my rides have no water stops and it's hot and dry here.

My wife's old mountain bike, which should make clear why she has the newer fancier mountain bike now. She's emotionally attached to it so the frame will probably end up on a wall somewhere.

My wife's road/gravel bike. Same deal as mine, usually in gravel mode.

My cyclocross bike which is basically a dick-around-town bike now. I'm emotionally attached to this one and will probably never get ride of it.

My kid hauler:

And finally my wife's bike from college that she's similarly attached to and hasn't ridden in probably 4 or 5 years. I just put air in the tires and realized the freewheel is now freewheeling in both directions which is not what you want in a bicycle

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

How'd you like this? My LBS has been thinking about carrying them.

Great so far. It's definitely on the pricey end of the spectrum but the majority of my current and former co-workers with ecargo bikes have the same one or an earlier model. Like 4 or 5 people, so that was a good enough endorsement for me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh I thought that yuba was a bunch cheaper :/ We have a Tern GSD that basically does the same thing with 20" wheels for the same money.

I looked at Tern but opted for the spicy curry because I don't really have any need for the compact aspect of the GSD, living in pretty wide open space with an enormous garage. So more cargo area it is

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

How do they design a stem that doesn't clear a spacer under it???

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Mauser posted:

the text on that bike makes it look like somebody grabbed the side of this image to resize instead of the corner. Edit: also the rest of the bike, same comment

"What's a uihmunudhla, never heard of them"

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I've acquired another mountain bichael. Technically got it last week but didn't finish assembling until this morning, so today is official NBD

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Report on new bike: totally living up to hopes and expectations. I ordered this as part of an N+2-1 operation, wherein I sell my 2015 SC 5010 and replace it with a bigger bike for getting rowdy and a hardtail for longer rides (...and also getting rowdy). The bigger bike I ordered (Ripmo) is way backordered, so I ordered this so that I'd still have a bike to ride while waiting for the Ripmo after the 5010 sells.

Because it'll be my only bike for the rest of fall, I went towards the trail end of the spectrum on the build rather than going for XC (so, 120mm fork instead of 100mm, 35mm ID rims, big chonking tires). Still feels great and quick enough for pedaling bits, but once I spent about 10 minutes getting used to it (have never actually had a hard tail MTB!), I was super comfortable hitting most of the same terrain I frequent around here at speed. More tiring than the 5010, but the steeper head tube angle felt like it helped keep the bike feeling stable at speed over rough terrain and around dusty berms. PRd a local 6 minute fast descent I've done like 20 times this summer by 10 seconds; most of that came from a flatter and partially uphill section, but I was still keeping pretty good pace with my best efforts on the full suspension bikes in the downhill parts.

And jumps are still awesome. Revive dropper is magic. I'm in love with multi-release on the XT shifters.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

n8r posted:

What size tires are those? Looks like you don't have much room to spare. I had two MTBs for a while but couldn't stand the different feeling between the two. Brakes and cockpit not feeling the same bugged me. My current bike is 27.5 140f/120r, next bike I'll probably step up to the 140r range for a bit more descending capability.

2.6" on the front, 2.5" in the rear. Not much room to go bigger (and 2.6" is what Ibis says it'll fit), and I don't really have any interest in going any bigger than that anyway.

I have been jumping around between bikes a fair amount lately, between my 5010, my friend's Ripmo that I borrowed for a while, this DV9, and my wife's old rear end 2005 Heckler that I rode while my 5010s brakes were being replaced under warranty. The different feeling didn't bother me much, I'd get used to whatever I was riding within a mile or so typically.

Plus the Ripmo I have on order will be pretty much all the same components as this one aside from the frame. Ibis carbon bars, full XT groupset. Wheels will have the carbon version of the same rims, and i9 hubs instead of Ibis.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

edit; sorry, here is some bicycle poo poo:

This must be from that huge climb you did

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Rode up a 10k ft peak today, got my photo taken by some security cameras, then jumped my way back down 4000 feet

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Went for a ride, stopped to get tomorrow's dinner.

Tonight's dinner is duck. We got that on Sunday but I didn't use a bike.

I don't know how much I'm allowed to say but I've got some inside information that ammo is gonna be in short supply soon so

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

Just doin morning things

ok so not quite the same spot as I thought when I first saw your picture, but pretty close. and far worse and older photos.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

After 7 months waiting for it to be delivered, a week or two of procrastinating ridewrap installation, and then a prolonged week long build process because my two 3 year olds insisted on helping me build it (hilarious and adorable, but not terribly productive), I now have another fully operational mountain bicycle. Now I just need to go somewhere not covered in snow to ride it.

The frame bag is more or less just a thing that wedges in there and can be removed or installed in like 5 seconds. I probably won’t always use it but it should come in handy. https://store.ibiscycles.com/mobile/pork-chop-bone-in-bag-p492.aspx

Glorious hub noise:
https://i.imgur.com/QHzep4E.mp4

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bicievino posted:

Found the best bike rack.
Prove me wrong.

Ok: the trivially better bike rack is that one with a fish bike attached to it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

My tan wall senderos were getting pretty worn, and now that I have a hardtail I probably won’t ride my gravel bike on quite as much rowdy terrain. So I’ve swapped to something better for the pavement and hard pack I ride most of the time (and I basically never ride in the wet).

Went with the Venture, same size. Tan wall was not in stock, so it’s back in black:

And aforementioned hardtail which I’ve just refreshed to loan for a ride to mr dick wood himself

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Rescued from trainer duty, now set up for tooling around town duty and the occasional fast paved-ish climb. Stripped everything off and put everything back together after ultrasonic cleaning and such:

_and_ now with much better looking brakes, thanks to one Mr Manstrong of like 5+ years ago, I finally put these on:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

Nice. Chainstay looks a little beat up though. Mastic tape works well.

That ship has sailed. I’d consider putting something on to stop the bleeding, but for now this is gonna be mostly for smooth riding (and most of that damage is almost certainly from before I changed to a CX1 derailer that keeps much higher tension than the force one before it)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Today was a new bike day. I’m going to hurt myself.

Have to share another image, post-christening in the tahoe moondust

It rides like a goddamned couch; a really fast one. It wants to go very fast, and in a way it was much scarier for me to ride because I felt like it was easy to get going faster than I was comfortable with over the bigger jumps, but holy poo poo it is fun.

After some easier warmup laps, took it on the trail that my first DH race is on this Sunday, with a very steep and loose section; it was a bit more challenging there, I was losing front traction more often than when I'd ridden the trail in the past, though maybe I just need to get used to the different modulation of the TRP brakes vs the XT on my Ripmo.

Steve French fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 16, 2022

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

That's a cool bike and I am also jealous of that white car you have, but sorry is that bike tiny or is the truck there as big as a bus? It's not a trick of perspective right?

Maybe a little of two out of three? It's for sure not a small bike, it's actually enormous. The truck is an F150, not lifted but on somewhat oversize tires. I agree it makes it look like either the truck is huge or the bike is tiny. Here's a different perspective

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

Nice. 280/500 for me, after 3 days. Got some snow coming in a few days though. Going to need to get serious.

You’re wearing all that shiny white poo poo in the winter and you’re not even being serious yet??? Smdh

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

I thought this bar tape might look good but, with the black saddle, it doesn't:

I'm going to switch it to https://www.lizardskins.com/product-details?h=dsp-bar-tape-v2-carbon-camo&c=bar_tape&t=dsp_camo&v=0

and this is why we have rules

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

First bike ride of the year for me today

Bike parking in town isn’t quite ready for prime time yet though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

New bichael day

Still needs some tweaks:

brake cables are too long; they looked close enough as they came without cutting them and I wanted to build the bike fast last night so I could ride it this morning. When I'm less lazy I'll cut them down a bit, and maybe replace the cheapo bartape at the same time.

I started with using all the spacers on the steerer, wanting to err on the side of cutting it too little rather than too much. After a ride on it, I think most of them are gonna go and I'll cut the steerer again. I erred on the larger side when choosing the frame size so slammed stem is probably in order.

I'm generally not picky about saddles, and the wtb silverado that came with this is also what I've had on a number of mountain bikes, and I don't mind it, but aesthetically it feels a bit too chonk for this bike, so I might replace it at some point.

Jury is out on the maxxis ramblers that came with the bike; I'm a big fan of wtb nanos but will probably wear these out before replacing them. Might try something a touch larger; Ibis says officially it has clearance for 40, but the gap it has now is pretty generous and we don't often get sticky mud that would cause the biggest problems with tight clearance.