Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

I got to the end of the trail and right before the park I came across this. Luckily, someone had already did the work of ripping up the fence on this side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Just drill some holes in your soles so you don't split them when you're pedaling.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I don't know what the equivalent of a lifted pickup would be for bikes

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I keep going out and getting my gravel bike nice and dirty on some trails and forgetting my phone at home for taking pictures. It's a dark green toughroad, so not the prettiest of bikes, but still fun as hell.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Still a little dirt from the weekend. Need to hose it off today and grease it up. This is the biggest sunflower I've ever seen, with the stem being about 2" thick and just growing out of the sidewalk for the last month or so.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

"slightly"

just gonna throw this up here too, since this is the thread:

One of my tomatoes is getting ripe finally!

Mauser fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 22, 2020

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Is there some sort of clean way to remove them? I've always just spent 10 minutes hacking away at them with industrial strength scissors or garden shears

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

amenenema posted:

Old faithful: 2005 CAAD8, new to me since 2010.

Now that the Rockhopper conversion is 95% done, I think it's time to strip this down and give it a full once-over. New cables at the very least. Maybe new groupset now that I've fallen in love with DoubleTap.

Can I ask what you're doing with the rockhopper? I got a '98 that's a little small for me that I was using as a commuter for a couple years with slick tires, but now I'm not sure what to do with it. Sorry if you posted upthread about it already

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

BeastPussy posted:

Quick answer: he converted it to a fat tire drop bar bike and it rules.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933902&userid=33555

Thanks. I remember seeing that, but I forgot it was a rockhopper because it looks a bit later than mine with the more modern frame. I think I would have the same issue with the sizing and have to raise the seat up quite a bit

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

amenenema posted:

Rockhopper conversion

I am now convinced that my Rockhopper is a ~'93 after some googling.

I recently put back the stubby tires and I think I have no need for a third gravel bike, so it will stay this way or I'll get the road tires back on and use it for groceries. Not sure what I want to do with it, but I am never getting rid of it because it's too purple

Otherwise, I've just been using it to practice hopping and wheelies in the park

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

This is way more involved than I am able to get at this point, but maybe one day~

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

the text on that bike makes it look like somebody grabbed the side of this image to resize instead of the corner. Edit: also the rest of the bike, same comment

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

bicievino posted:

Nice!

Speaking from personal experience - a boring frame color is just a free license to go bonkers with bar tape and other accessory colors.

Yeah, my giant boring color now has pale blue pedals and bottle cages and will eventually have pale blue bar tape when the current red stuff wears out. Mine is like army dark green though, so that guy has nothing to complain about with their pretty bike

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

speaking of orange:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

new seat for my purple bike

This side is less purple, so I'll see if I can get a better shot later:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

clouds are supposed to be up :colbert:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Basement bikes! I got a new storage rack for my bikes, but the ceiling is kinda low. I think I need to dig out the basement or get a new house. Wife's bike and my three bikes are visible. Not visible is my other bike.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 9, 2020

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's the new one and it's Kogu Masamune Stand IBUKI 1, which is on sale at the soma website

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Sucks that the sun goes down at 5pm now, but luckily I have this lake near my place that I can do laps around

Also, went to for a ride around town and stopped by Ft. McHenry today:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Hey a Baltimore goon, I overnight there a lot with Dickwood. Have a couple of KOMs in Patterson park and the B&A trail.

e:

Yeah! I haven't tried the B&A yet, but it's on the to do list probably around Thanksgiving. My wife used to work in that building in the background of your pic and I work across the street.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Everything's plowed, salted or melted aside from the bike path bridges, which I had to walk across because they were still ice.

And then towards the middle of the trail, coming around a turn on a downhill there's this in front of me, which is all solid ice.

Wear a helmet because mine got a nice smack on the ice yesterday.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Spotted in the wild in front of the local brewery in my neighborhood

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, I went to outdoor Easter dinner with the family and now I got a new bike

My brother bought it just to fix it up for fun/practice and replaced the cables and brake pads, but it was too small for him. I still need to adjust the limit screws and get a saddle for it (original saddle was ruined and I got it sans saddle and original pedals not pictured). I'd been looking for an ancient French road bike for a while just for fun and now I got one, but holy poo poo this thing is heavy as hell

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's really good condition! and yeah the Nomade would have been their entry level ten-speed, so weight was not a concern with those

someone here was selling a still-in-box top-of-the-line Le Champ and I was almost tempted to put down the $1200 they were asking

and including the old-school gear ratios :allears:

(and the coolest dork disc i've ever seen)

So, I weighed it and it's actually only 30lbs with the new(!) saddle. I put it up on the stand and figured out that it wasn't consistently shifting into the lowest gear so the ride with my wife directing us on, seemingly uphill the entire time, just made it feel extra heavy.

Finally got a brooks leather saddle though and I'm pumped to try that out once I get the shifters and brakes sorted out. This silly thing requires at least three different sizes of wrenches to do the most basic of tasks by the way.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Got the matching bar tape on there now, not perfect but it's tight. Shortly before this photo was taken, I managed to snap the rear shifter lever off of the bracket. At least it won't bother me anymore :(

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I did come across those while looking for replacements, but they actually cost more than the bike did. My brother has a box of spare parts and found some spare levers, so that's the route I'm going for now

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

so here's the bike I built

I'm still dialing in saddle placement and waiting for my natural color leather saddle that I ordered from selles ideale in france to get here and one day I might polish the non-silver bits to match the rest of it, but otherwise I love this thing so much and climbing hills single speed is kicking my legs' asses. I chose marathon+ tires because I hope to never have to replace a tube outdoors with a rear wheel that needs some tension to ride properly. I had a flat on brand new tires on my other bike directly outside my back gate from broken glass. It's everywhere in Baltimore.

If you guys can spot anything that needs fixing let me know because this is my first bike I've put together. Bike shop did the prep on the frame, headset install and the chain fitting because the tools required for that are things I will likely not buy.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

bicievino posted:

Congrats on the new bike!

The only obviously wrong thing I can see is that you need a purple water bottle cap instead of an orange one.

Regarding dialing in the saddle fit: many folks find that tilting a leather Brooks slightly backward from level makes it fit better. Not much, just a degree or two, but it's different than most non-leather saddles where you want them level or a degree or two forward.

the water bottle was actually quite frozen after a couple hours riding, so I dunno what to do about that, but not the main concern. The brooks saddle is gonna go back on my '70s Motobecane nomade when I get the new saddle in

BlancoNino posted:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/tuggnut

I have one of these on my fixie and it makes rear tire maintenance way less of a pain.

How does it work, because it looks like you could ratchet the wheel into place by hand

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Ok, what saddles are you guys riding for 100km+ days because on my first experience bikepacking last summer after ~50 miles my butt was aching on a rather firm specialized saddle. soft squishy stuff doesn't work for me because I go numb immediately.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

El Laucha posted:

Do you care about weight? If you don't, Brooks Cambium. I can go for 10-11 hours on the C17 before I start getting uncomfortable. Just bought a C15 but haven't switched it yet. The c17 weights like 500gr, I use it on my gravel bike so its not really a problem.

Got money to spend? S-Works Power mirror. Got one for my road bike a few months ago and its incredible, easy 6-8 hours without thinking about the saddle.

Bottom Liner posted:

If your saddle fits then it's just about time on it. Doing 50 miles out of nowhere is going to hurt, but if you ride multiple times a week for a few hours, 100m feels like nothing. I'm on a Brooks Cambrium and like it, but I might try the one with the cutout next.

I ride about an hour or two per day, definitely less the last few weeks now that it's been really frigid temps on the east coast. The bikepacking trip was better the second day, but man finishing 50 miles the first day was hard. I actually have one of the cambium saddles, I just haven't ridden it more than a couple dozen miles total because the bike I put it on I kinda replaced. I like it though and I'm going to make my wife try it since she's been complaining about her saddle given her numbness.

CaptainTofu posted:

Brooks leather saddles are some of the single most uncomfortable things I've ever sat on, bike seat or otherwise. Maybe they're good with bolt upright seating positions or something?

I have a brooks swift saddle that took a bit to break in, but is pretty great for my road bike riding in a more forward position and pretty comfy for under four hour rides around town. Haven't tried longer than that though. I mentioned upthread that I ordered a handmade leather saddle that I'm really looking forward to, so I'll report back on that in a few months once I get it and break it in.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

that's very pretty, but my one minor complaint would be that the blue pedals aren't my thing. Having never ridden anything with a belt, what's the benefit over a chain?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Update from above, my saddle finally arrived.

I ordered a handmade saddle from this workshop in France back before Christmas and it finally got here. It's very pretty :toot:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

lol, now you just need to go out and ride other cyclists' asses to give them the full BMW-behind-me experience

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I think that bike is too big for you!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I love the stick holding it up :3:

beautiful bike!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

green kingfisher posted:

I miss having a bike so bad.

I get overwhelmed when trying to decide on what I want now and living in Los Angeles makes me feel like such a scared rabbit about the prospect of riding in the city proper.

If I just wanted to do some trails(concrete and dirt) what would be my best option?

Explain it to me like I'm as stupid as I sound please :/

Check out the bicycle megathread op, that answers a lot of questions about bikes: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899

I'm not a professional or anything, but my advice would be to find a coop that sells used bikes and see what they recommend or got on hand if you want cheap, but probably good shape. Craigslist has a lot of options and you can post listings that you're considering in one of the various threads. If you're ok spending a bit of money, a bike shop will help you out.

For city riding and locking up, you can check out the commuter thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

For city riding/commuting an old beat up bike is great because it's easy to replace and you're not going to cry about it if it gets ruined or stolen. My city is filled with drivers that are not good at driving and have very poor attitudes, so starting out it was a bit of a contact sport for me and my friend. Starting out for you, it's a good idea to be very careful about routes, use bike lanes, be careful in intersections to not be going through them next to cars, and if you feel the need to ride on a sidewalk: understand that you need to slow down to pedestrian speeds while crossing alleys or streets.

Edit: Oh yeah, and final thought about city riding is treat pedestrians like they're children and treat children like they're going to dive in front of you at every opportunity. Slow down and give them all a lot of room. Bikes are really fast and very silent, so you can surprise people.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 16, 2022

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Went biking around the Eastern Shore of MD. Hit up Chincoteague (didn't see any horses) and Assateague (saw some horses). The horses were in the bike lane :mad:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, I put this thing together and the rain finally cleared so I waited for some dryness to bed in the brakes thanks to this thread.

I gotta put on the racks for an upcoming camping trip and make some adjustments after the first ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

i don't love where the pump is but everything else is ace. what's the max width you could fit on the tires?

Me neither, actually. I wish they had put the pump bump on the inside. The recommended max is tire width is 48mm with fenders and 2.2" without and mine are 47mm

Slavvy posted:

This is a very pleasing bike, I particularly like the large jump between the chain rings. Does it mean you have several unviable combinations?

I was kinda worried about this, but surprisingly not an issue. The only combination that doesn't work is largest to largest because the chain isn't long enough, but that's not a combo I would ever use.