Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Did some of Leif Erikson yesterday. Definitely think my tire pressure was still too high, guess i'll have to go back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

e.pilot posted:

more smol dick energy coming at you from Portland

Rocky Butte? Didn’t realize the Bike Friday was in Portland! Do Council Crest next...

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kimbo305 posted:

Depending on the 700C fender width, you might get enough coverage and strut clearance to go over 650x48. The radial size will be about right. I did this for a while on my Macho Man with Mud Butler 45s.

You can also re-radius fenders pretty easily if they’re metal: https://velo-orange.com/pages/re-radiusing-fenders

I successfully re-did some 700c mud butlers to 26” recently using a tennis ball and a fair bit of patience!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Problem? What problem? That's not "too many bars", that I "definitely don't need".

Put the Ahearne/MAP bars on my Disc Trucker EUROSPORT.

Pretty comfy so far!

Please excuse the hideous bar angle, I adjusted them down after this photo.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

I had to make like 50 of those decals to meet the minimum order, so if anyone wants one the euro-ify their bike let me know! The Chevy Celebrity Eurosport will never be forgotten.

kimbo305 posted:

How did you like the bullmoose? I feel like the one-bolt stem clamp was a little too loose, and the non-adjustmable reach was a little short for my application, even with extenders going to 75cm.

They were just a little too wide for me, and I actually wish they had a little bit of rise, and a little bit more backsweep. That's what made me try the Ahearne bars, and the silver Wald mystery bars with the black grips, both of which I found more comfortable on my Trucker. I never had a problem with the bolt though!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Thank you! The hand sanitizer in the stem bag is very important.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Safety Dance posted:

Gotta bonk the pedals into position whenever I stop at a light. I might do that a hundred times on a 15 mile ride around Manhattan.

Are you wearing sandals?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

EvilJoven posted:

Ran into someone riding a hand built titanium MTB with a one of a kind suspension fork based off of something he saw on a motorcycle or something. It was wild.

gently caress, this rules. And square tubing too?! Awesome. Did he build it himself or say who did it for him?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Biggus Duckus posted:

Obligatory Cathedral Park shot

Beautiful bike, and one of my favorite places in Portland!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FredLordofCheese posted:

Doppo gently caress yeah

Oh man, i've been eyeing these frames for a while. That build turned out great. Good job and happy riding!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

sweat poteto posted:

Very fun for tooling around local paths and nice to just carry a proper chain lock in the basket without any hassle.

This rules and the wiring is fine! Ride the heck out that thing!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

evil_bunnY posted:

How the gently caress do you have a used bike shop with 2 decent looking tandems for sale? I would have snapped one up so fast.

If my local craigslist is anything to go by, I think tandems can be kind of hard to sell, especially if they're priced high. It's also pretty niche, there's not that many people looking to ruin their relationship or get divorced because of a bike.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Pulled the trigger on a significantly discounted Brompton C-Line Explore. Having a ton of fun so far. It's a blast to zip around town, and easy to get in and out of the house. Glad I went with this over something cheapear, everything feels way more robust than I'd expected. Gonna throw a dynamo on it soon, and maybe reduce the gearing about with a 44t or 40t chainring in the front. Otherwise am gonna try to do every ride this winter on it, we'll see how that goes!

tarlibone posted:

New bike day!

Congrats! Always love the colorways State chooses, this one in particular!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kimbo305 posted:

Is the Brompton fork normal 100mm spacing? I suppose if any non-100mm width is out there, dynamo products would support whatever Brompton is using.

I think front hub spacing is 74mm on Bromptons.

abraham linksys posted:

i think brompton used to offer bikes with the dynamo preinstalled but they stopped doing that, at least for online and distribution stuff (maybe the UK dealerships still offer them). same thing with the smaller chain rings

curious to hear how your upgrades go on both parts. I've considered reducing my gearing since the top 3+ gear is currently completely useless (and I use 3- maybe 1% of my riding time). dynamos I"m less sold on since they're heavy and expensive; I don't mind keeping batteries around. though I do need to get a new rear light since the seatpost one I had fell off because the mount was broken and stopped properly clamping the light. somewhere in a gutter lies a $50 USB-C light I otherwise liked :negative:

(if anyone has recommendations for seatpost lights that aren't the NiteRider Vmax - which I actually got have another of and the mount on that one works fine, so I wonder if I just got a defective one for the Brompton, or maybe I broke the mount while dropping the seatpost to fold? - I'd love to hear em)

I'll let you know how the upgrades go!

I know my local Brompton dealer has a few dynamo models in stock, but maybe it's something they are only gonna do upon request now? Brompton at least seems to sell wheels with Shutter Precision hubs directly: https://us.brompton.com/p/656/front-wheel-with-hub-dynamo---black. From what I can tell this is what other dealers use in most of their builds: https://www.perennialcycle.com/shutter-precision-upgrade-dynamo-package-for-brompton.html

Personally i'm a huge dynamo advocate. Yeah it's expensive upfront, but never having to worry about charging anything is such a relief. Imagine if you had to charge the lights in your car? Having lights that work every time turns your bike into a vehicle you can truly rely on. Brompton sells a kit with admitedly crappy lights for only a bit more than the actual wheel: https://us.brompton.com/p/669/front-wheel-hub-dynamo-incl-fittings---sv8-silver

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The Brompton has been WAY more fun than I thought it would be. I know i've now entered the old man, pony-tail, Birkenstock's with sandals era of my life by owning one, but it's been a lot of fun. I threw a dynamo and some lights on it and have been doing all my riding on it the last few months. I've toyed with putting a rear rack on it, but from what i've read from other folks its actually kind of hard to carry stuff on it without your feet hitting things. I think i'm gonna leave it like this for a while. Next step is flying with it. Trying to decide to just try and gate check it, get a hard suitcase for it, or just use an Ikea Dimpa bag with some padding and hope for the best.

Awesome bike and a great photo. Single speed, drop bars, and is that a dynamo hub up front?

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 9, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a real dream. Almost 5 years in with it and love it more than ever.

Another beautiful photo! What body/lens are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Dog Case posted:

Looks like the circus must be in town for the weekend

Hell yeah brother