Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I'm looking for a bike rack for my Jeep and this is terrifying. There is a few 100-150 dollar options that might work okay.. but I know I should be looking at the 400ish bigger name brand options. Anything with fabric straps I just imagine will fall off in the middle of the road, can't have my free Schwinn or potential walmart bike taking that kind of damage. Also, a proper carrier will be more expensive than my bike which seems insane, but I also don't want anything to fall off into the road which could be a disaster on many levels. There are a lot of spare tire mounted options, but I think I want to go with a hitch mounted since I can at least use that on a future vehicle when my Jeep dies. I can always just throw it in the back for now so I have time to weigh my options here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Polish posted:

I'm looking for a bike rack for my Jeep and this is terrifying. There is a few 100-150 dollar options that might work okay.. but I know I should be looking at the 400ish bigger name brand options. Anything with fabric straps I just imagine will fall off in the middle of the road, can't have my free Schwinn or potential walmart bike taking that kind of damage. Also, a proper carrier will be more expensive than my bike which seems insane, but I also don't want anything to fall off into the road which could be a disaster on many levels. There are a lot of spare tire mounted options, but I think I want to go with a hitch mounted since I can at least use that on a future vehicle when my Jeep dies. I can always just throw it in the back for now so I have time to weigh my options here.

Yeah you're not going to like this but: https://yakima.com/products/spareride

This may also work with an extender to clear the spare tire: https://www.swagman.net/collections/hitch-mount-racks/products/xc2-hitch-mount

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have an Allen rack attached to the back of Patriot and it's worked well for about 5 years.

We also have a 1Up hitch mounted on my partner's car and it's a lot nicer.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Polish posted:

I have a North Shore Rack 4 on my Jeep and it works really well. I like how the NSR folds up when not in use I don’t like how I can’t open the tailgate with it on without a drop hitch. But that is because of my big spare tire and probably wouldn’t happen with a stock one.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
it's worth spending money on stuff that you're going to attach to your car and drive near other cars. cheaping out could be VERY costly.

I'm so ready for the season to start here but I think we're a ways out from getting any kind of stretch or dry weather. tempted to get a bmx so I don't have to wait for trails to dry

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
When I had a sedan we had a saris bones and it was okay but not great, annoying to try and put a modern mountain bike on. When we got a crossover type vehicle we got a 1up and it's been worth every penny, it's really nice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My Kuat rack has been great. Takes about 10 seconds to load or unload, rock solid ride.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Polish posted:

etrailer is a good resource to see what's available, reviews, and install info - https://www.etrailer.com/Bike-Rack

Spindatt has one of those cheap racks and modified it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CvuG3l4br0

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

prom candy posted:

I'm so ready for the season to start here but I think we're a ways out from getting any kind of stretch or dry weather. tempted to get a bmx so I don't have to wait for trails to dry

I found some dry single track today while just riding the main trail! I haven't ridden anything like that since maybe October. now i'm hooked all over again.

bad news is like 9 of the next 14 days are calling for rain but still, i got on some single track earlier than i expected and that's pretty nice!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

prom candy posted:

I found some dry single track today while just riding the main trail! I haven't ridden anything like that since maybe October. now i'm hooked all over again.

bad news is like 9 of the next 14 days are calling for rain but still, i got on some single track earlier than i expected and that's pretty nice!

Yeah I had to rest my legs today because yesterday felt like I was biking through mud yesterday. My leg muscles have been sore since I started this new hobby and I just went for a walk today to rest. But it's supposed to be torrential downpours...again... for the next couple days and it feels bad.

Thank you guys so much for all the help you've been with all this and helping me out with all my newbie questions. I am amazed at how quickly this has hooked me and I am glad for it, and I really hope that I stick with this for a long time. Everyone in here has been extremely helpful in the short amount of time since I started and its been great. I am getting my young nephews, my co-workers, and my friends all in to this all thanks to you guys, so once again, thank you!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Polish posted:

Yeah I had to rest my legs today because yesterday felt like I was biking through mud yesterday. My leg muscles have been sore since I started this new hobby and I just went for a walk today to rest. But it's supposed to be torrential downpours...again... for the next couple days and it feels bad.

Thank you guys so much for all the help you've been with all this and helping me out with all my newbie questions. I am amazed at how quickly this has hooked me and I am glad for it, and I really hope that I stick with this for a long time. Everyone in here has been extremely helpful in the short amount of time since I started and its been great. I am getting my young nephews, my co-workers, and my friends all in to this all thanks to you guys, so once again, thank you!

I just started last summer and got hooked pretty fast as well. but yeah a lot of it is just waiting for a few dry days in a row. it sucks riding in the mud and it's also really not good for the trails.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My opinion on racks is to overspend once, or hate the worse option and you end up buying the best one afterwards.

My recommendation will always be a hitch-mounted 1-up rack.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been happy with putting 6k of bikes on a $150 rack honestly. I got the cheapest platform style rack on Amazon and when it bent from someone backing into it, I took pinarello's old one and it's still going strong. Spending a thousand dollars (CAD) on a rack seems crazy to me.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I simply ride my bike

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
That is the real way, since I’ve lived just a couple of miles from the trailhead I just bike in 9/10 times.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of riding in the mud/wet, if you can and your trail system allows it I would definitely recommend doing it as much as you can. After a colossally wet winter here in the UK it's finally drying up slightly and even though you don't notice it at the time, wet weather riding improves your skills on the bike so much. I remember last year coming out of winter with the first day of real hero dirt and I felt like I was glued to the trail, there was SO much grip that I didn't think about before. Cornering and body positioning and staying loose on the bike matters so much more when it's slick, but that translates to dry trails immensely.

It definitely gets old having to do a complete wash down of your bike after every ride though to get all the mud off, but that's just part of winter riding I guess.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I simply ride my bike

Back seats down, take the front wheel off and put the bike in the car. Perhaps put a tarp down too. Carry two bikes on top of each other. Two bikes and two riders, no problem.

Aphex- posted:

Speaking of riding in the mud/wet, if you can and your trail system allows it I would definitely recommend doing it as much as you can. After a colossally wet winter here in the UK it's finally drying up slightly and even though you don't notice it at the time, wet weather riding improves your skills on the bike so much. I remember last year coming out of winter with the first day of real hero dirt and I felt like I was glued to the trail, there was SO much grip that I didn't think about before. Cornering and body positioning and staying loose on the bike matters so much more when it's slick, but that translates to dry trails immensely.

It definitely gets old having to do a complete wash down of your bike after every ride though to get all the mud off, but that's just part of winter riding I guess.

The UK view of "yeah our trails are mainly just old footpaths through the hills between towns, no-one needs to actively look after them much, they've been used for hundreds of years all year round" vs the US experience of "this is a curated trail system that people have to take effort to manage, please don't ride (or run) on it when its wet aargh" is a big cultural difference.

meltie fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

meltie posted:

Back seats down, take the front wheel off and put the bike in the car. Perhaps put a tarp down too. Carry two bikes on top of each other. Two bikes and two riders, no problem.

The UK view of "yeah our trails are mainly just old footpaths through the hills between towns, no-one needs to actively look after them much, they've been used for hundreds of years all year round" vs the US experience of "this is a curated trail system that people have to take effort to manage, please don't ride (or run) on it when its wet aargh" is a big cultural difference.

I barely ride the old footpaths, I'm talking about community built trails in my local woods and all over the country. We also dig and manage our local trails but we just have to accept that they get hosed over winter, and keep on top of the maintenance.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I did an MTB duathlon at an old open cast mine the other weekend. Some of the puddles were over my hubs and there was a long section of riding on wet moss deeper than my tyres. It was great, filthy fun but I really need to get a front mudguard because above a certain speed all the muck from the trail gets thrown up in front of the bike and straight into my eyes. Are the neoprene guards that sit between the fork arch and crown any good or should I be looking for something more substantial?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I like the ground keeper styles ones for that, they just catch the mud that would be thrown forward into your face. Idk if the neoprene ones would have the coverage.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I like the ground keeper styles ones for that, they just catch the mud that would be thrown forward into your face. Idk if the neoprene ones would have the coverage.

2nded for this style front mud guard, plus you can get them in all kinds of funky liveries to complement or clash with your bike's colors, and/or represent your favorite whatever

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Yeep posted:

I did an MTB duathlon at an old open cast mine the other weekend. Some of the puddles were over my hubs and there was a long section of riding on wet moss deeper than my tyres. It was great, filthy fun but I really need to get a front mudguard because above a certain speed all the muck from the trail gets thrown up in front of the bike and straight into my eyes. Are the neoprene guards that sit between the fork arch and crown any good or should I be looking for something more substantial?

A mtb duathlon sounds fun as well. I need to find one near me in the USA.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Arishtat posted:

2nded for this style front mud guard, plus you can get them in all kinds of funky liveries to complement or clash with your bike's colors, and/or represent your favorite whatever

I have a giant hideous zebra print fender on my black/green MTB - it's the best

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Looking for some goon wisdom on a suspension question - someone in my bike group offered me a used but recently serviced 2019 Rockshox Yari RC fork in exchange for my new 2023 35 Gold RL with maybe 100 miles on it. Search engine enshittification makes it hard to find anything but some tech specs and I don't know enough to make a proper assessment off that.

The Yari has 160mm travel with 44mm offset compared to the 150/42 on the 35 Gold. Both have DebonAir springs and motion control damping in 35mm stanchions, but only the Yari can be upgraded. I mostly do techy blues/blacks in the southwest desert and there are local doubleblacks to grow into, so I'm not worried about having "too much" travel. My frame has flip chips so the geometry change should be negligible, plus I also have a 100 hardtrail for XC for lower end trails.

Any thoughts on things to consider, experience with either, or recommendations on which might better meet my uses? Thanks!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I simply ride my bike

Yeah that would be a death sentence where I live. Suburban hell where all the green spaces are quickly becoming 55+ communities or 600k+ townhomes. The small woods trails by my house are connected to a farm from the 1700s which has an awesome dirt trail going all around it. They are trying to build 100+ houses on it which is going to suck when it eventually happens. Luckily I have a few nice parks and a few good county run trails, but I have to drive to them since all the old roads with too much traffic would certainly kill me.

If I go 30 min or more in any direction except West, I can def find some good rides once I get better, and a bike rack.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Guest2553 posted:

Looking for some goon wisdom on a suspension question - someone in my bike group offered me a used but recently serviced 2019 Rockshox Yari RC fork in exchange for my new 2023 35 Gold RL with maybe 100 miles on it. Search engine enshittification makes it hard to find anything but some tech specs and I don't know enough to make a proper assessment off that.

The Yari has 160mm travel with 44mm offset compared to the 150/42 on the 35 Gold. Both have DebonAir springs and motion control damping in 35mm stanchions, but only the Yari can be upgraded. I mostly do techy blues/blacks in the southwest desert and there are local doubleblacks to grow into, so I'm not worried about having "too much" travel. My frame has flip chips so the geometry change should be negligible, plus I also have a 100 hardtrail for XC for lower end trails.

Any thoughts on things to consider, experience with either, or recommendations on which might better meet my uses? Thanks!

Why would you want to trade your new fork for something that isn't better but is 5 years old?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Homers BBBq posted:

A mtb duathlon sounds fun as well. I need to find one near me in the USA.

Yeah, I'm mostly a roadie triathlete with very mediocre MTB skills but I'm really enjoying the local series. The fact it's a race forces me to push a bit harder on the bike which is doing wonders for my confidence, and it's nice to go into the second run with legs that aren't completely shot because they haven't just done a hard road bike.

I was actually really close to the podium last race but the ground was so wet the sole of my shoe came away half way through the first run so I lost at least 2 minutes in transition wrapping it in tape I borrowed from the race organiser.

Did I mention it was wet?

Yeep fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 13, 2024

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
drat I was thinking biathlon not duathlon where you'd ride your bike and then shoot a gun. For a MTB duathlon, is it a trail run?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

jamal posted:

Why would you want to trade your new fork for something that isn't better but is 5 years old?

The yari is a higher tier offering, but I don't know how the comparison changes when it's older higher tier offering vs newer lower tier one.

E. Context is they upgraded their fork and think the yari would be an upgrade for me so they offered to swap before putting whatever's left over on a buy and sell.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 13, 2024

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd be concerned about the yari desperately needing a rebuild and making this swap not "free". It's maybe a slightly better fork than the gold but is it enough better to make it worth the hassle?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It was actually a professional full service and rebuild earlier this year, not like a lower drop and drain. He's pretty loaded so I didn't get the impression he was trying to screw me over.

Anyways, guy was willing to let me try it out so he walked me through the install this morning it and we hit a decent blue with both tech and flow. Once dialed in both high and low speed compression felt noticeably smoother, and I prefer the difference in handling it has with the slightly different offset and reach. I ended up buying it for $100, so now I have a spare fork for less than the cost of a rebuild and learned how to some bike tinkering. Hope that wasn't too anti-climactic for y'all.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 15, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I finally figured out how to get my front tire off the ground without pulling up on the handlebars. Watched some random youtube last night about basic skills and the guy said to push down on the pedals like you would be jumping on a trampoline, and for some reason that clicked in my head and worked. I could reliably do it on a driveway and my backyard grass, but on the trail was a bit trickier since I was tired and also don't have the timing down yet. Luckily I was trying it on little roots that I could ride over. I also went down one dirt hill at some speed* and used the banked corners which put a huge smile on my face. I still don't have a helmet yet so I am still not risking anything too much (birthday is next week and people needed gift ideas).

I have drastically changed my eating habits and been active every day. I am def loosing fat, but gaining weight due to muscle growth. Going up the two steep hills in my neighborhood is getting easier every time, and I am not getting winded as much from doing it. Legs still burn like hell on the ascent, but it takes time.

Roots and rocks were knocking me around sideways a bit today. I am guessing bigger tires, better line choices, and learning to control the bike better will mitigate that though. I still think I am going to go for that Ozark Trail walmart bike, just to see how good or bad it actually is. However, I have been eyeing up some Marlins and Marins in the 600-700ish range. Until I pull the trigger I am going to ride the piss out of this Schwinn.

*speed being slightly faster than riding my brakes the entire time

Polish fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 16, 2024

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Mountain biking without a helmet is pretty insane dude

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I agree. I know 100% I should be wearing a helmet and I am going to remedy that. I also have weighed in what I am doing and feel I am comfortable to do what I am trying to do without serious injury. I know I can't control every aspect of what I would encounter for a ride, but I feel what I am doing currently I am at low risk for injury to my head. That being said, I am getting a helmet soon and will be wearing it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Polish posted:

I agree. I know 100% I should be wearing a helmet and I am going to remedy that. I also have weighed in what I am doing and feel I am comfortable to do what I am trying to do without serious injury. I know I can't control every aspect of what I would encounter for a ride, but I feel what I am doing currently I am at low risk for injury to my head. That being said, I am getting a helmet soon and will be wearing it.

Having come up on a guy awhile back that was completely unconscious on the trail after crashing, I'd encourage you to not set foot on the bike until you have a helmet. It was scary as hell and this guy was wearing a helmet. Had he not been, he might not be here.

It's oftentimes the tame, run of the mill stuff that catches you out, too. My neighbor who has been mountain biking for 25 years and does double black diamond trails broke his arm falling on a run of the mill berm on a green trail.

I know that sounds preachy but for real man. It happens in an instant.

In other news, I signed up for two races having never raced a mountain bike in my life. I'm excited and nervous. They are very laid back deals so they're perfect for a beginner.

One is a 6.5 mile hot lap consisting of about 50% cross country, 25% downhill flow jump lines, and 25% flat pavement. It's a single lap of the Noon2moon race course. In the real Noon2moon race they try to complete as many laps as possible in 6 hours! I'm definitely not ready for that.

The other race is in the fall and is a 20k of mainly xc with a couple jump lines thrown in and is a little more serious.

I plan to ride my Nukeproof Scout hardtail that I've put XC tires on. It's a bit heavy for XC riding but that's not what will be holding me back anyway. I do need to get out on it and practice some downhill runs. It feels so different jumping the hardtail compared to my full sus.

I've been getting quite a bit better at jumps this spring. It's finally starting to click. They have a pretty neat thing here called Hightag. You get a device that you attach to your bike and there are cameras on the trails with sensors that take your picture when you come by. This is on a jumpline called Medieval at The Castle in Bentonville.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I simply ride my bike
I hitch my MTB to my e-cargo and ride to the trail. Then I ride the trail. Then I ride home. Feels good.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Polish posted:

You're a loving idiot

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Polish posted:

but I feel what I am doing currently I am at low risk for injury to my head

Polish posted:

on the trail was a bit trickier since I was tired and also don't have the timing down yet.

Luckily I was trying it on little roots that I could ride over.

I also went down one dirt hill at some speed

used the banked corners

Roots and rocks were knocking me around sideways a bit today

All this is not "low risk for injury to my head". Especially since you're very new to the sport. Get a goddam helmet.

This is awesome! Jumps are clicking more with me as well, it's so incredibly satisfying to hit a few jumps in succession and hit the down slopes of all of them. The feeling of being in the air and in control is amazing.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Polish posted:

Roots and rocks were knocking me around sideways a bit today. I am guessing bigger tires, better line choices, and learning to control the bike better will mitigate that though. I still think I am going to go for that Ozark Trail walmart bike, just to see how good or bad it actually is. However, I have been eyeing up some Marlins and Marins in the 600-700ish range. Until I pull the trigger I am going to ride the piss out of this Schwinn.

I stopped in Walmart over the weekend that surprisingly had both Ozark Trail 29'r and their new $250 gravel bike. The 29's looks nice, but was heavy, as was the gravel bike. Gravel bike has a freewheel, so no to that. Some guy was looking at the gravel bike and asked my why it weighed so much, he also was complaining that the fork on the mountain bike was heavy, and couldn't understand why they didn't use something lighter. I noped out of that convo fast.

If you're upping your price range, maybe look at the Poseidon Norton https://www.poseidonbike.com/products/the-norton?variant=43854478639332 currently at $699, it seems to be really good value. I can't find anything with front and rear thru axles in this price range.

Few of videos on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a_Pc2Sm7_g

This one is talking with the designer about design, and compromises pretty interesting. Think it goes into fork offset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJf_2Ub97I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KihlF7vlA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Polish posted:

I've been riding on and off road regularly for 30 years and I'm currently rehabbing my shoulder after breaking my collarbone from a 5mph crash trying to get up a small curb.

Don't get on your bike again without a helmet, there's no such thing as low risk.