Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah man even a $20 helmet from TJ Max has more protective power than thoughts and prayers. I wear one tooling around on my driveway because it's still possible to gently caress up at low speeds. Ask me how I know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was wondering why helmet recommendation didn’t get any pushback. Then I realized that the mountain biking thread is a sanctuary from the Dutch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Most of the times I have crashed/fallen on a bike have been at very low speeds or even stopped, but my head still could have impacted asphalt or a tree or rock with enough force to cause me some major problems. Once it did, but I was wearing a helmet. Wear a helmet, you only get one brain.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

charliebravo77 posted:

Most of the times I have crashed/fallen on a bike have been at very low speeds or even stopped, but my head still could have impacted asphalt or a tree or rock with enough force to cause me some major problems. Once it did, but I was wearing a helmet. Wear a helmet, you only get one brain.

Same. My last two crashes were my fatbike tire falling thru crust that had melted underneath barely moving at all and flipping through my garmin while on a fire road. Both times resulted in needing a new helmet.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My friend broke his neck on a cross country trail while wearing a full-face, has titanium rods in his neck now. His doctor said without the helmet he'd have been dead or paralyzed, more likely dead.

Wear

Your

loving

Helmet!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think OP can do whatever he wants tbh, it's not our neck or face etc. 10 posts making GBS threads on someone for not wearing a helmet is probably just going to drive someone out of the thread.

If you break your spine on a bike it's because you didn't spend enough on it - go to your local Intense dealer today!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

VelociBacon posted:

I think OP can do whatever he wants tbh, it's not our neck or face etc. 10 posts making GBS threads on someone for not wearing a helmet is probably just going to drive someone out of the thread.

If you break your spine on a bike it's because you didn't spend enough on it - go to your local Intense dealer today!

I went to my local Intense shop Costco and they hooked me up but I am pretty sure I did not pay enough for spine protection.

Anyway; unrelated question: 27.5/2.6 wheels/tires should fit on a bike that came with 29/2.4 assuming boost etc., right?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

in a well actually posted:

I went to my local Intense shop Costco and they hooked me up but I am pretty sure I did not pay enough for spine protection.

Anyway; unrelated question: 27.5/2.6 wheels/tires should fit on a bike that came with 29/2.4 assuming boost etc., right?

Yeah but the geo is going to be a bit messed up.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

not wearing a helmet is a bad idea, for any ride, at any skill level. please keep posting itt op, but also please take up trail running til you get a helmet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Gross, don't suggest self harm itt

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah I never suggested nor said I am not going to wear a helmet. In fact I said multiple times that I am going to wear my helmet all the time when I get it. I agree with everyone that it is dumb as poo poo not to, and yes it is a very stupid thing I am doing. If I had a helmet and said I am not wearing it because helmets are dumb, then by all means call me a loving moron. But the helmet actually arrived today, so that is solved! Thank you for your concerns and kind words.

To be progressive maybe if a new person comes in asking questions, perhaps suggest some good helmets before even thinking about getting a bike? I've been riding for a few weeks without one on the misconception of trusting myself and what I am doing as low risk, and I am sure I am not the only stubborn dumbass to think that way.

I even found this very helpful guide for helmets of various prices:
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Polish posted:

Yeah I never suggested nor said I am not going to wear a helmet. In fact I said multiple times that I am going to wear my helmet all the time when I get it. I agree with everyone that it is dumb as poo poo not to, and yes it is a very stupid thing I am doing. If I had a helmet and said I am not wearing it because helmets are dumb, then by all means call me a loving moron. But the helmet actually arrived today, so that is solved! Thank you for your concerns and kind words.

To be progressive maybe if a new person comes in asking questions, perhaps suggest some good helmets before even thinking about getting a bike? I've been riding for a few weeks without one on the misconception of trusting myself and what I am doing as low risk, and I am sure I am not the only stubborn dumbass to think that way.

That was the ranking/resource recommended to me when I was purchasing helmets. It doesn't track sales though, so it might be worth checking a few which would be out of your price range just in case. For example, Troy Lee Designs is usually like 70% off for some reason, which is not reflected in the list.

Actually related to helmets -- do people have recommendations for full face helmets? I was looking at going to a downhill park and figured I should probably get one before that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I use a fox proframe because its the only one that came in a size large enough to fit my head. I'm on my 2nd one. The first one worked great too. Nice and light and not hot.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Boogalo posted:

I use a fox proframe because its the only one that came in a size large enough to fit my head. I'm on my 2nd one. The first one worked great too. Nice and light and not hot.

I also like the new proframe for my big weird head. That being said, although it's rated for downhill it's a lot more open and ventilated (which is why I like it for trail riding) so it's not quite as protective as a "real" downhill helmet.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Polish posted:

Someone posted a link to that site and helmet reviews when you asked about what helmet to get. Riding without a helmet is dumb regardless of whether or not you have a helmet. You know what I did last time I broke a helmet? Didn't ride until I got a new one!

tildes posted:

Actually related to helmets -- do people have recommendations for full face helmets? I was looking at going to a downhill park and figured I should probably get one before that.

I have a smith mainframe I like, it's vented well enough to climb in if I have to and has more.coverage than a lot of the Enduro type full faces.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Someone posted a link to that site and helmet reviews when you asked about what helmet to get. Riding without a helmet is dumb regardless of whether or not you have a helmet. You know what I did last time I broke a helmet? Didn't ride until I got a new one!

Yup, they did. I guess I missed it or forgot it was posted. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you are staying safe, thank you for your input.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Anyone do trail maintenance?

How do you carry tools? Backpack? Put a rack on a mountain bike? Bring your rack‐equipped city/commuter bike on the trail? Just lash stuff wherever on the frame?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I was wondering why helmet recommendation didn’t get any pushback. Then I realized that the mountain biking thread is a sanctuary from the Dutch.
I mountain-biked in the netherlands for years and essentially everyone wears a helmet. Same for road riding (wielrennen).

gently caress a helmet for commuting when you have netherlands level infra.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Accidents happen, and I don't have enough hair to worry about it so I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time I'm riding a bike.

I've gotten a lot more firm on this since I had children. I both want to stay around for them and model behavior so they don't end up with a TBI.

And you just reminded me that I went OTB a couple weeks ago and put a small dent in my helmet and I should replace it.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

drat I was thinking biathlon not duathlon where you'd ride your bike and then shoot a gun. For a MTB duathlon, is it a trail run?

Usually. In this case it was lots of running up and down the slag heaps in the background of that photo.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Accidents happen, and I don't have enough hair to worry about it so I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time I'm riding a bike.
That’s totally fair. I ride with a lid on now that I don’t live there anymore.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Screw full suspension. Screw 2 wheels. This is where the real action is.

https://krisholm.com/en/

They got a 36" wheel version!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

MarxCarl posted:

One of the days at Bryce last year there were folks on e-unis taking jumps.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MarxCarl posted:

They should call this Papa Wheelie.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MarxCarl posted:

This guy has been doing this since I was a kid watching VHS bike movies, I think he's been in NWD at least.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

Specialized Gambit will be your friend next time. - A member of the gigantic melon club (proframe, POC, troy lee, none of the largest sizes fit me)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MarxCarl posted:

I stopped in Walmart over the weekend that surprisingly had both Ozark Trail 29'r and their new $250 gravel bike. The 29's looks nice, but was heavy, as was the gravel bike. Gravel bike has a freewheel, so no to that.

The freewheel and weight kill it. Might as well turn their mountain bike into a gravel bike at that rate.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol I bet that kickstand is like two pounds by itself

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You have to appreciate the bosses on the underside of the downtube and the triples on the fork, but none on the seattube.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Platystemon posted:

You have to appreciate the bosses on the underside of the downtube and the triples on the fork, but none on the seattube.

Wouldn't want to block the possibility of installing a dropper in there, obviously.

bakaraven
Oct 21, 2011
Hey, Long time lurker!
I’ve been riding a Scott aspect hardtails for years now and now I’m looking to upgrade.

I’ve been looking at a Specialized stumpjumper evo comp, but of course they are out of stock in Denmark :/

My question is, should I wait for it to come back in stock or go for another. Denmark is kinda flat so I’m not completely sure if a full suspension bike is even needed on the trails we have.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bakaraven posted:

Hey, Long time lurker!
I’ve been riding a Scott aspect hardtails for years now and now I’m looking to upgrade.

I’ve been looking at a Specialized stumpjumper evo comp, but of course they are out of stock in Denmark :/

My question is, should I wait for it to come back in stock or go for another. Denmark is kinda flat so I’m not completely sure if a full suspension bike is even needed on the trails we have.

What do other people ride on the trails in which you're interested?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trailforks does have a few black diamond trails listed in Denmark. They’re all on Jutland.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

bakaraven posted:

Hey, Long time lurker!

The character of the trails is more important for hardtail vs. full suspension than the elevation difference - I mean things like rocks and roots versus more groomed or smooth trail surfaces. That said, if it's that flat, you might consider something in a little lower travel bracket for more efficient pedaling. The "regular" Stumpy versus the Evo.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

bakaraven posted:

Hey, Long time lurker!

A "downcountry" bike might be the sweet spot you're looking for. Full suspension but shorter travel than a trail bike and longer travel than an XC bike.

Since you already have a Scott, this would be solid:
https://www.incycle.com/products/sc...NQaAjWmEALw_wcB

If you wanted to go with Specialized, you might look at the Epic Evo. It's their Downcountry bike.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
It was the last race of my local MTB duathlon series this weekend. I went into the race with a nasty chesty cough and really felt it on the initial 2km/160m gravel ascent. Had to get off and walk a couple of the trickier bits of descent, there was no run first this time so there were a lot more riders around me which didn't help my confidence. I was consistently making up the places on the climbs though. I had fun but like every time I try something that pushes me technically I came away feeling like I just need more practice.

Frustratingly there was one long, fast descent down a forest access track where I ran out of gears at 32kph and got passed by at least 3 people who hadn't. I'm not sure I can do much about that without spending a lot of money though. I'm 11-46t at the back and 32t in front on 26" wheels that I don't think I can convert to micro spline or XD and my rear derailleur won't go any wider.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Do you ride in running shoes? Do you run in padded bike shorts? I’m intrigued, never heard of this combo before.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

ought ten posted:

Do you ride in running shoes? Do you run in padded bike shorts? I’m intrigued, never heard of this combo before.

They're triathlon shorts, so bike shorts with lightweight padding that doesn't interfere with running. I usually ride in running shoes anyway because I prefer flat pedals and don't do enough MTB to justify yet another pair of shoes, plus I've got a good selection of grippy fell and hill shoes for running. The race was probably 50/50 people doing that vs people changing out of SPD shoes in transition. There were plenty of people in full on one-piece triathlon suits as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yeep posted:

Frustratingly there was one long, fast descent down a forest access track where I ran out of gears at 32kph and got passed by at least 3 people who hadn't. I'm not sure I can do much about that without spending a lot of money though. I'm 11-46t at the back and 32t in front on 26" wheels that I don't think I can convert to micro spline or XD and my rear derailleur won't go any wider.

It's not cheap, but you could get a 12spd RD (which uses the same cable pull as 11spd) and run a Sunrace 11-51 cassette. $100 for the cassette, $70 for the RD?
Might be really pushing it with clearance under the pulley cage, though.

Some people say they've gotten 11spd RDs to work with 50t cassettes just fine. Probably down to dropout placement on their frame.
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/50-tooth-11-speed-shimano.1120849/

Oh also, I'm guessing you have Shimano based on what I think is SLX on the RD in your pic.