Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This weekend is a whole lot of rain. What a bummer. We are supposed to just be dry with forest fires. Got new pedals on the bike though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

But but but

Looking goooooood.

Nohearum posted:

I'm welcoming this rain. My last ride was surprisingly dusty. Should be some hero-dirt to be had tomorrow morning.

I will gladly take the rain, I just didn't look at the forecast so I drove out here with bikes for no reason. Got a great 7 mile hike in pouring rain in though. My GF (newer to riding) used the hike to talk about downhill line selection and if she thought she could get the section clean. I think she has caught the bug.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

This and the knock block make me slightly regret my ex 8. I have 50mm riser bars now because of that and I'm still not super thrilled with the fit. And a threaded BB would be nice. And and

I am curious what about knock block you don't like. I honestly haven't even noticed it but I feel like the trails in michigan are a lot tighter and twistier than out here.

I am considering a different bike next year...I am kind of hoping that next spring will have a bike excess with everyone buying pretty much anything they can this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Makes sense. I guess I feel like my bike fits well do maybe less of a deal.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is strange cable routing on the Roscoe.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

marshalljim posted:

Here's a good YouTube playlist for beginner mtb skills stuff. They're still adding new videos to it, too.

Agreed Kyle is good. I have learned a lot. Now only if I could put it into practice!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What is an off-piste trail in relation to mountain biking? It is an unmarked trail but it exists (may or may not be considered illegal)?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Aphex- posted:

Yep pretty much. Around here they're not considered illegal, more like unsanctioned and as long as there aren't any ridiculous features then the landowner (forestry commission here) usually just lets them be. If you want to ride them then it's a matter of either going with a local or using Strava's segment explore and heatmap since people don't usually put them on Trailforks.

Makes sense. Around here if you put those trails on Strava people will be pissed. Especially if it results in the trails being closed by the land manager. You usually have to know someone.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jamal posted:

Trailforks has a nice feature where if someone adds an illegal or closed to the public trail, a moderator can mark it that way and it won't show up and won't let someone else add it. Well, and a moderator has to approve any new trails anyway so like if I saw someone add one I'd just make it hidden and maybe send the creator a message saying something like "hey don't add that to trailforks dumbass."

MTB Project is the same. you have to reference official documentation showing it is a legal trail or they will not add it to the system.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Arishtat posted:

I'm going to WV in a few weeks and planning to hit Snowshoe's bike park. This will be my first time on a true downhill course as I ride XC in and around Patapsco State Park and Bacon Ridge in MD. What am I getting myself into here?

Oh I guess I should state that my ride is a Scott Spark 720+ which is 130mm up front and 120mm in the rear with a 67 degree headtube angle. I'd prefer to use it but renting is also acceptable.

Start on some green/blues and work your way up. Knee pads and elbow pads are a good idea. A full face helmet just depends on how rowdy you are going to get. I find that most blue and even black trails at bike parks are not really any harder than other trails not at the bike park (at least I feel this is true in CO) where I just wear a regular helmet.

I think your bike will be fine for your first time. I ride my Trek Fuel at the parks here which is 130/130. Renting a bike might be fun but I would probably just ride what you got, figure out the bike park, and rent next time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think I put in my most vert in one ride this morning (4,170'). It was real hard not to take the bail out option before the grueling 1300' of climbing towards the end. It was fun overall with one hike a bike section that was not as fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3889160198

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

That CT descent off the back of Georgia is so good.

It was the first time I have gone down it. I would say it was good but not the best part of that ride for me. I think the descent from the top of CO 176 down to the dredge lot is better if you can catch it with limited people.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

Never done the 176 descent, I’ll have to check it out.

I meant from where 176 meets the CT and going down the CT to the dredge lot (the last big downhill on the ride I did today). I wouldn't ride down 176, It is a nice climb though from Keystone.

This loop is pretty fun adding in Captain V. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5691391/keystone-gulch-to-soda-creek-loop

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sadi posted:

Started cleaning my bike last week. Found one of the pivot bearings on its way to being a bushing. Week and a half later, we have new bearings and new vinyl.

What is up with you front brake cable? Or is that an allusion in the picture?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bamhand posted:

Meanwhile my co worker says bikes are very cheap these days and she is looking to pay up to $150 for one. I want to live in that world.

It is FS and has a kickstand, all for $100. Obviously we are all suckers paying so much more.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

It finally rained on my favorite local trail yesterday, so I had to go out and get it this morning.

Unfortunately, my bike is at the shop right now getting brakes fixed, so I had to ride my wife's 2005 heckler

Amusingly, I was not any slower than my PRs on any of the downhill sections. I'm sure the better conditions and better than ever trail familiarity helped. It was extremely noisy with the chain bouncing all over the place.

This is great. way to just go for it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

jamal posted:

Going uphill, I was worried about that extra length and slacker headtube but it works just fine and stays straight and goes around all the tightest switchbacks no problem. Pedaling out of the saddle even in trail mode is ok although I generally have been fully locking it out. Then it feels a lot like my old bike.

It does weigh a little more, but I could fix that by spending more money and changing a few parts, which I'm already thinking of doing anyway. I was actually considering the fancy xx1 version of this bike but this was the only one they had, and I got a fairly good deal so buying, say, some xtr brakes, shifter, RD, cassette, and a new freehub body is a current thought. The guide Rs definitely seem lacking but maybe after shortening the hoses and bleeding the brakes that will improve. GX eagle is also not that impressive to me and seems worse than the 11 speed GX I have on the hardtail.

Cool cool new bike!

When I first got a FS I would lock out the rear but I realized that it was pointless. I just ride it open all the time now.

I agree that the Guide R's are not that great. I probably will not change mine because they work but maybe I should, we will see. I do think GX Eagle is pretty solid but I haven't tried Shimano's equivalent.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should be rinsing/cleaning it regularly in the future if you haven't been. If you haven't washed it you could at least try. Probably not good though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bud Manstrong posted:

I rode flats in the spring and was really happy with the OneUp composites. Same price as the Chesters.

I am on the One Ups. so far so good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nohearum posted:

How was the smoke up there?

It is all hit or miss right now. Check the AQI to see if you should go out. Riding 3 sisters on Friday was not bad on the lungs but hard to see. We just hiked 3 sisters and I don't think I would want to be out in it on a bike.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anyone have a good way to lock a thru axle mountain bike to a QR bike rack? I have older Thule Circuit roof racks then the adapter for thru axle bikes to work with it. you can just pull the axle and take the bike though. The vast majority of the time I am never away from the car in this situation. I have some kryptonite cables that I can use to "Lock" the rear wheel and frame to the rack. It works and is better than nothing (easily can be cut though) but is there something else I should look at when I need to leave the bikes for a bit? I know rocky mounts has a locking adapter from thru axle to QR rack but it doesn't seem like it actually works from reviews.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

I have a similar setup except Rockymounts roof racks. If I think I'm going to have to lock my thru-axle MTB on my rack I bring a u-lock and a cable, put the u-lock around the roof rail, and the cable through the frame and rear wheel. I don't have any illusion that this would stop a serious person but it lets me eat lunch or something nearby.

I also own the Rockymounts adapter and it's not great. My biggest issue is that it slips in the rack's QR clamp - the surfaces on the adapter are slick and no matter how much I lean on the clamp closing the rack it still slips back. The "locking" part of it just clamps down on the axle itself to hold the bike, but I don't really see why you couldn't just unscrew the thru-axle with enough force. I haven't tested this theory but I'm not extremely confident in its security. If I'm actually worried about it the bike goes in the car.

tl,dr: no :smith:

You at least confirmed what I was thinking. I agree with all your thoughts.

Suburban Dad posted:

Couple tire questions I wouldn't mind getting thoughts on. I'm seeing some odd wear on the right knobs (left side in picture) on the inside edge on both front and rear. Any idea what causes this? Same tire, Bontrager XR4 2.4. Running 21/23 psi tubeless and around 195 lbs so I don't think I'm going crazy low. No rim strikes or anything like that or wheel issues due to it so far. It's like this the whole way around with wear and chunks worn away.

Next, how long do tires last generally? Probably depends on a million things but I've never had to replace any due to wear thus far so even a range would be helpful. I'm a little over 800 miles on these and I seem to be having more sketchy moments on trail (front and rear both losing grip at times) but not sure if that's a result of the dry summer and dusty blown out trails, tire wear, or dicking with cockpit and making stem shorter and riser bars (less weighting on the front so more washouts, etc.). Seems like plenty of rubber still there so I'm inclined to keep using them or swap the front to the rear and get a new front possibly.

Rear:

Front:

They seem fine to me. My rear looked just like that (only a bit worse) on the side knobs and more wear in general at about 1000 miles (same tires as you). I just put an aggressor on the rear and kept my XR4 on the front. So maybe change them or maybe ride out the year with them.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Curious about your thoughts on the aggressor.. It sounds like it would work pretty well here but wondering how grip is going uphill with it and whether you climb seated or standing?

I am only one ride in on it. I really liked it. I put cush core in the rear as well. Seems like it is real grippy. I usually climb seated (those long long climbs in Colorado).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Colorado....smoke....bad....

Not riding also bad though... Not sure it was worth it tonight though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Soft excuses from softer legs.

Very soft indeed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Whahappen posted:

It's only been a week, but I wanna go back to the UP damnit!

This is the last (easiest) rock roll before Manpants on overflow:

The little drop option at the end of it:

Manpants:

And Ladypants:

You can tell which one I sent.

An overlook of sorts on the trail Pine Knob in Marquette:

We didn't get a chance to do Overflow again, or send Manpants on Sunday, as my friend messed up his ankle badly. He made it home via the buddy he drove up with, then that buddy drove back up to meet me back in Marquette to finish out the week. The trails there are freaking amazing! Marquette has ruined me, I wish we could build trails with cool features sprinkled in everywhere, in southern MI. DTE today was fun, but not... that kinda fun. I'll be back up to Copper Harbor for the big boy clinic which is fast approaching, and so looking forward to it.

Definitely miss living in up Houghton sometimes...although Colorado isn't bad.

I will be in SE Michigan the 1st-6th riding if you feel like meeting up.

Bud Manstrong posted:

Those trails look great. Nice work. Would love to get up there some day.

Yeah man we should do it one of these summers. I also want to do Arkansas.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Get at me about this.

You know I will.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

Didn't know this existed, that looks awesome. We're over in that part of the state somewhat often during summer but I didn't know there was anything other than Owasippe in the area.

If you haven't been up to the Big M that is a good ride. About an hour and a half north of Owasippe.

Car Hater posted:

Copper Harbor is the best, maybe someday I'll send Manpants...

Meantime I'm funemployed and riding more, looking forward to this monstrosity:
https://www.thedragon.us/the-dragon-trail/
Should be a great weekend ride mixed in with camping at Newaygo when it's done

E; gah I miss that little coffeeshop on the lakeshore with the scones

That ride looks like it will be really cool when done.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kimbo305 posted:

I'm genuinely curious if covid transmission can happen in these conditions.

Outside and the case count in that area I personally would not be concerned.

The trail days here people have buffs or masks on.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 24, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baronash posted:

Had a real surprise this morning. Saw a trail listed on my county's website that wasn't on MTB Project or Singletracks. Since it was right behind a senior center and listed as a walking/biking trail, I figured it would be a casual, wide path that would keep me out of the sun. Instead, it looks like the county put a decent amount of effort into a mountain bike trail last year and then promptly forgot about it. I feel bad that it's not seeing more use. What's the best way to let other people know it exists?

I would submit it to those two sites. Especially as it is on the county's website. You could do a group ride there but Covid.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 24, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat dude. Nice job.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Northwest Ohio where you can ride 13 miles and get.....167' of elevation gain! A fun little trail system though right by my mom's house.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OhsH posted:

there are trails in northwest ohio?

I know!

There is one kind of in Toledo (I have never been on it though) and this one out by Oak Openings. It was pretty fun. Some cool wood features but generally it is flat and windy. The FS bikes were super needed (ha).

https://www.strava.com/activities/3992291838

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7028873/beach-ridge-bike-trail

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

h3r0n posted:

That's 167' of heart pounding elevation gain!

They did have some cool wood features. (one of them was probably 10' of the elevation!)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

So I'm looking at a job in DFW area, 4 miles or so for North Richland Hills and one of the line items is hobo control. Dystopia merica-style

You don't want to go to DFW.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Riding in Michigan is still fun. Definitely much different than Colorado.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Suburban Dad posted:

^ Very bummed I couldn't meet up and be a nerd and say things like "nice bike" :smuggo:

Yeah man. Next time for sure.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

In this case Trailforks - none of the Frederick Watershed trails are on MTBProject.

I really prefer MTB Project and their app. So add more trails to it!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VacaGrande posted:

Agree that it’s a way better app. I think they verify everything posted there to make sure it’s sanctioned with the land management. The trails up there aren’t illegal (mostly 😬) but they’re also not 100% official. I’ve always assumed that’s why otherwise-popular trails aren’t on MTBProject.

Ah yeah. I get that they don't want to run up against the law or anything. They do review it all by hand though which takes time for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

vikingstrike posted:

Really? They have stuff on the site in the Jamestown area that suggests otherwise

Not saying stuff doesn't slide through or that they did the same thing in the past. When you submit trails now though there is a disclaimer about legal trails only. You have to submit maps or links to show it is a legit trail.