Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Don't knock my hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sadi posted:

I used duplicolor metalcast purple with their metalcast base layer.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint/

How many cans did you end up needing? Looks great.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tacier posted:

Trek makes a good bike but I’ll never understand why their stack heights are the same (low) all the way from S to M/L. It defies logic and anatomy.

This and the knock block make me slightly regret my ex 8. I have 50mm riser bars now because of that and I'm still not super thrilled with the fit. And a threaded BB would be nice. And and

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Notice the 50mm riser bars? Nobody makes those in 35mm diameter. Had to get the adapter to run a normal stem and 31.8 bars. Even then, you can only get bontrager stems with the knock block and there are only 3 sizes. It's not consumer friendly as they only did it to make their frames cheaper (one less bend) and results in less angle for the bars to rotate and proprietary parts. For many it's probably not a big deal and wasn't a deal breaker for me either. I just probably wouldn't buy into it again given the choice.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I already cleaned all the mud and gunk off the bike, and I'm ready to crash again

I know we just changed the thread title but

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Just go ride. Anything that looks sketchy, just walk it if you're not ready for it. Watch YouTube videos and read the book Mastering Mountain Bike Skills or come back and ask the thread about specifics. Nothing wrong with going slow as long as you let people pass.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

"Next mountain bike provides you with a top performance"

As in "the next one you buy after this". But it has more gears than my bike so some dads somewhere will think it's better. Probably.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

also if you're not using it for a long time, just throw it in the freezer.

cool bike jamal! It is, however, dying for wacky colors.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Trash pandas

I've never not worn baggies but these are hilarious so I'm interested. Any idea what size shorts you'd go with? Sounds like we're similar in size.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've serviced my 34 Rhythm (only swapped out the wiper seals, foam rings and the lower oil but never touched the damper, etc.) a few times and don't recall having that issue or hearing weird noises. When I'm airing it back up I stop to compress it a few times to equalize the air chambers and then pump it up to where it was previously and check the sag. I'd try releasing pressure and and then doing that and see if anything changes.

E: since my bike was 20 feet away I just checked it for noise. It's totally silent when I'm putting weight on the bars and compressing the fork. Try airing it up again and equalizing the chambers via compressing it a few times as you're doing it. If that doesn't work, apologies for being full of poo poo. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 19, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Sadi posted:

It was 100% not locked out. I think maybe it was trying to hop gears when I back pedaled it. It’s been find on the stand in the garage. The chain slap has been happening for a few rides. Wrapping the chain stay in an old tube made it so I don’t care that it slaps. If it drops a chain I’ll be more concerned.

If the chain still looks like it did in that pic above, something is wrong with the derailleur or clutch. Lots of 12 speeds pop the chain off if you backpedal unless your chain line is just right. I'd be less concerned about that.

E: reading comprehension v:v:v. Guess you're saying it just did that when you set the bike up for the pic and not how it normally looks. Possible that the chain is too long? I think on hardtails it's 2-4 links extra (can't remember which is which between that and FS) when wrapped around the big ring and front chainring.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 20, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Couple tire questions I wouldn't mind getting thoughts on. I'm seeing some odd wear on the right knobs (left side in picture) on the inside edge on both front and rear. Any idea what causes this? Same tire, Bontrager XR4 2.4. Running 21/23 psi tubeless and around 195 lbs so I don't think I'm going crazy low. No rim strikes or anything like that or wheel issues due to it so far. It's like this the whole way around with wear and chunks worn away.

Next, how long do tires last generally? Probably depends on a million things but I've never had to replace any due to wear thus far so even a range would be helpful. I'm a little over 800 miles on these and I seem to be having more sketchy moments on trail (front and rear both losing grip at times) but not sure if that's a result of the dry summer and dusty blown out trails, tire wear, or dicking with cockpit and making stem shorter and riser bars (less weighting on the front so more washouts, etc.). Seems like plenty of rubber still there so I'm inclined to keep using them or swap the front to the rear and get a new front possibly.

Rear:

Front:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I think you just get the bike leaned over more when you turn right, more comfortable going that way maybe. Are you a left foot forward person?

I suck at left turns for whatever reason so that seems reasonable. I ride right foot forward though and am right handed. Are people typically better turning in one direction that's opposite of their forward foot or something?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll roll with them for a little longer I guess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

spwrozek posted:

They seem fine to me. My rear looked just like that (only a bit worse) on the side knobs and more wear in general at about 1000 miles (same tires as you). I just put an aggressor on the rear and kept my XR4 on the front. So maybe change them or maybe ride out the year with them.

Curious about your thoughts on the aggressor.. It sounds like it would work pretty well here but wondering how grip is going uphill with it and whether you climb seated or standing?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Geometry is pretty dated and reach is super short and has a steepish head angle at 69 dungarees. Super narrow handlebars too. It's definitely an xc bike but that sounds like what you want honestly. Some of the component choices and specs are vague so it's hard to tell much. I have no idea why there's an XT derailleur on that bike, it seems very out of place.

I personally wouldn't go with that one and find something more modern frame wise since it's about the only thing you can't upgrade easy and cheaply (fork also generally).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 23, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Meantime I'm funemployed and riding more, looking forward to this monstrosity:
https://www.thedragon.us/the-dragon-trail/
Should be a great weekend ride mixed in with camping at Newaygo when it's done

Didn't know this existed, that looks awesome. We're over in that part of the state somewhat often during summer but I didn't know there was anything other than Owasippe in the area. Also hit me up for rides during the weekdays (11-5ish) if you want. This week excluded but after I should be good.

Last 2 of 3 rides haven't been great with a couple dumb crashes. :smith: Finally buying a hanger alignment tool which I should have done a long time ago but, eh. Still trying to get some neck/shoulder pains worked out too. Going to PT this week to see if it helps.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Northwest Ohio where you can ride 13 miles and get.....167' of elevation gain! A fun little trail system though right by my mom's house.

Welcome to the flatlands. We still call it mountain biking but it feels like a joke saying it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Had a little bit of a crash at whistler, thankfully not really injured, bike is fine, and it was on my last day of the trip.

There's audio in this and I'm in pain and I left that in so if you're going to be uncomfortable with it be warned!

https://imgur.com/a/FfZ75cr

Ouch. That rock does not look comforting.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^ Very bummed I couldn't meet up and be a nerd and say things like "nice bike" :smuggo:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

n8r posted:

Machine built sucks. Flow sucks.

Continuing your tradition of bad opinions I see

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

thatguy posted:

I built this just 4 u levitate

This one picture shows more elevation than in the entire state of Michigan so plz b careful

Fightin' words.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

yoohoo posted:

I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs area for the next ~3 weeks and am looking for some fun rides. Does anybody have any recommendations? Anywhere within ~45 minutes. I'm coming from NE chunk so long and flowy would be ideal.

Also would take recommendations for some good trails I can take my gravel bike on.

I'm not from that area but was there last spring and hit up Ute Valley and Red rocks. Red rocks was death on the first climb (for a flatlander like me... that's also used to sea level air) but was alright. Nothing crazy. Ute I remember being really fun and there were a ton of different routes you can take around there.

Bud Manstrong posted:

I got a new bike

It’s good.

:swoon:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ouch. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

But I'm too cowardly to even attempt unmounting the unwobbly rear :negative:
The other option I looked at was a slightly wider and hopefully looser 2.5 DHF. But could also do 2.6 DHF.

Bike shops are dirt cheap for labor. As big of a pain as cushcore sounds, it's probably worth the 20-30 bucks they'd charge to put it on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

feelix posted:

can I avoid having to learn how to shift correctly by going to box 1x9? My NX cassette is bent, I assume just from shifting under load

I hope this is sarcasm. Going with a drivetrain manufacturer that's probably 2nd tier compared to the big ones isn't going to fix the problem. Have some mechanical empathy bro.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

feelix posted:

A decently heavy (210lbs) and decently strong (350+ squat) guy just mashing up a short climb as hard as I can, shifting in the middle of it, not giving a gently caress at all

It's hard to get a good pic but it's a small section (like 5 or so teeth) of one of the big cogs bent out away from the wheel.

I don't see what Shimano and SRAM's marketing corporate bullying technical mastery could do to change the strength of steel. I highly doubt that they have some metallurgical expertise that Box lacks when sourcing their components. This is purely an issue of how strong the cogs are, and the thicker cogs of a 1x9 would be stronger.

Sounds like your technique could use some work, but by all means waste money on something that isn't the part's fault. If I find out I'm in the wrong gear up a climb I'll slow my pedaling down until the chain has fully switched over then continue hammering, or just hike a bike. You probably hammered on it when it was only partially meshed (since it's like 5 teeth) so load will increase significantly as there's less surface area of contact. Even on flat roads you should pause hard pedaling while shifting.

Also the new shimano 12 speeds supposedly shifts pretty great under load without grinding, so they have something figured out that the others don't. Probably patents that the others don't have access to.

VelociBacon posted:

You need to try OURY grips, they're perfect. I've been using them for a couple seasons, switched from rogues, they're the perfect grip. The non-lock-on ones are the best.
Still liking the V2 lock on ones I bought for both my bikes this year. The rogues rotated a bit when locked down which drove me crazy. Only problemy I have with the ourys is that you have to hold the silicone out of the way while tightening them down or the screws will catch on the edge and rip a bit off. Didn't notice it when I put the first one on. Now I've crashed enough that they're rashed up enough anyway to not matter. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 7, 2020

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ouch, that looks rough. :( They have to plate that, right? Can't see how else they'd deal with "bone floating in space" otherwise. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

"one behind" because I'm so lonely, then "have a good ride"

Usually people apologize and get flustered but I'm never that worried about 5 seconds extra on my strava and tell them no worries. Tons of new folks on the trails so be nice to them and keep it chill.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks like a pretty good place access wise if nothing else. Will probably need to clean it up with a dremel on the inside afterwards I'd guess.

I wouldn't ride it any more than you have to if you're seated a lot. Sucks. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

yoohoo posted:

It’s supposed to hit single digit lows over the next three nights... I don’t need to be concerned about leaving my bike in the garage, do I? It’s insulated but still gets pretty cold out there

Nope.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

yoohoo posted:

That's what I was thinking but I haven't been in a place where my bike isn't in my living room for 6 years.

Some of us ride in snow. Remember that fat bikes exist. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What pressure were you running and what width?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Lower. Like less than 5 and give it another shot.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

For a hard tail I'll say try a 27.5 plus bike. Little more squish in the back and more grip. Similar rollover to a 29 and more sidewall but also more weight. Seems like the ideal bike where it's flat, IMO. I'd buy one if I were looking for a hard tail and I'm in the Midwest where it's also pretty flat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

My worst crashes are on dumb poo poo. Clipped a tree with the bars last week and got pretty rashed up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd just drill it. All you have to do is drill the head of the bolt off and they'll come off the bars at least. Assuming you're replacing them anyway that is.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Probably just something "new" for the industry to sell you. I think wider is generally better and everybody recommended me 4.5" or more when I was buying last year. Everybody meaning my midwestern locals who ride fatties. They all suggested rigid suspension too since you're going much slower and didn't think a real fork was worth the trade off in weight. Definitely go tubeless since you need to be very low on pressures also.

I listened to all of that advice except the fork and dear god is it heavy. Probably like an extra 5 lbs more in the front end. I thought I'd ride it more in the summer on trails for shits but that didn't seem to be the case this year at least. It was way slower to get rolling and the gearing isn't great (28t front and wide chainstays for big tires don't really allow bigger rings, generally) so top speed was limited on my flat trails.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, I looked into another wheelset and couldn't justify the cost. Probably 60% of what I paid for the bike to get an ok hub (dt350 I think) and some stans rims. Better off buying a timberjack or whatever at that point IMO.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've had two of them now without issues. It could use a nicer lever but no real complaints otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Anybody have any impressions on high (12-16 degree) backsweep bars?

I'm having an issue in my shoulders/upper back with pain between my shoulder blades that I've tried rest, stretching, strengthening, and PT on without much help so far. I tried checking my bike fit vs me with help from Lee McCormack and sounds like my fit was already really close to ideal. Still, I made the changes he suggested and it didn't help the pain. Seems every ride about 6-7 miles in it starts to hurt and makes doing normal rides more of a chore. I rode a lot more this year than normal, but still only ~700 miles on trails. It started mid summer at the height of my riding, so may have been due to overuse. I haven't really ridden much since August but the few rides since then it's happened still. I've tried paying good attention to my posture while seated as well but again nothing seems to help.

I'm thinking I'll give SQ labs bars a shot and see if it helps because I don't really know what else to do at this point.