Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Thoughts on products like Ride Wrap? I am getting new bike and maybe that's a good buy? I fall enough that the sweet roarnge paint job is gonna see some hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

If you can get any bike this spring that fits your requirements go for it.

I did this, it was a big relief

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You don't need to spend 350 on a Transfer for a dropper. I got a $75 post on Amazon for my POS frankenbike that works fine

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

feelix posted:

Yeah I believe this, I took my dropper apart and it's an incredibly simple device that has no right costing as much as they do

If budget is a primary concern, a dropper is better than no dropper at all. I wouldn't buy a $75 Amazon dropper for my $4500 MTB, but it makes sense for the ~$1000 cobbled together pile of odds ends I'm planning on selling this summer

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

don’t crash.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I was hoping someone would appreciate the irony

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Partial Octopus posted:

Yeah I definitely need 165s. I got tiny legs. Still contemplating on the M vs L but I found a shop with a L Ripmo AF in stock so that should help. I like the idea of having a more comfortable climbing position but I'm worried I'll loose some of the playfulness by sizing up.

Try both, ask the shop workers for their thoughts. Ultimately I don't think it's going to be a huge deal. I would optimize for the uphill, ie make sure it's comfy to pedal for a while because there is lots and lots of climbing in CO

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got my build pretty dialed in at this point. 90% sure I'm going to go with a medium. SLX + XT shifter, ibis hub carbon rims. Leaning towards Fox suspension but has anyone ridden the DVO? I'm not sure if the Fox upgrade is worth it for me. I'm generally a set it and forget it kinda person when it comes to my suspension. Occasionally I'll change the rebound based on the trail but thats about it.

I went with the Fox upgrade because I like both their fork and shock, but Ibis is building the bikes assuming it ships with the DVO so I'm sure it'll be fine if you don't have a strong opinion either way.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ripmo af this year had a very roarnge frame color. I'm stoked to not be mismatched blue

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Homie I'm calling the shop tomorrow to ask if they can ride wrap it for me. I ain't got that kind of patience. Also your build looks sick

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Homers BBBq posted:

Some friends have been bugging me to get into this sport for a few years but I've resisted because I didn't have enough time to justify the steep entry price. My schedule is finally clearing up so I pulled the trigger on a specialized fuse when it came in stock near me randomly about a month ago. Been reading the thread so I have my bike, pedals, gloves, helmet, bike rack for the car... what do people wear for clothes?

I'm reading there are mountain bike specific shorts and jerseys. Jersey seems less important with tech shirts but what are thoughts on shorts? The length and stretchiness make it seem like a worthwhile accessory. Confused about if I need a liner or not though. I have cycling shorts from road biking. Do people go liner free shorts plus cycling shorts? Or just get shorts with a liner? Or do you not need a liner at all? If not, what do you wear underneath?

I live in the northeast and rides will probably be 2 hours +/- of some combination of XC and all mountain.

I really like a backpack for hydration and for storing my poo poo. I always have a small first aid kit, pump, multitool, bike tool, tire boot, and snacks with me this way and a convenient way to carry or store a layer. Also a convenient way to carry phonewalletkeys without them being weird in a pocket.

Wear your road shorts under MTB shorts. I just use my road bibs (and bibs are the best).

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Car Hater posted:

I am planning the biggest stupidest road trip for as soon as I have my vaccine...does anyone think 16 IMBA epics is too much for one summer?

Nah, go for it. Did a few bike trips last summer and camped and honestly it felt pretty safe

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I like trail clips. Once you get used to them, it's pretty easy

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone recommend a Moab campsite that’s close to average man riding?

We would also be open to an air-b-n-b if you know of one that costs less than $400 a night.

Trail recommendations are also welcome.

Not at liberty to disclose the exact camp, but BLM 137 past Lone Mesa Campground has a bunch of dirt tracks that head south and go into various rock formations that have great camping.

Last time I was out there we did Slick rock and Ahab and both were great. I'd say Ahab was like a top 3 trail for me. Interesting climbing, both technically and scenically. Descent had tons and tons of features, several of which were pretty wild.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

VacaGrande posted:

It really depends on where you are as to whether trailforks or MTBproject is better. I use both. The one thing MTBproject definitely has going for it is that they seem to actively prevent anyone from adding non-legal or poached trails. There are definitely trails on trailforks that are iffy from that perspective, at least around here.

They also have a few different features where I use both. Most of the time it's MTB project because I think the interface is better, but if I'm in a new area I tend to reference both.

Because the MTB Project descriptions can be hilariously deceiving. "Minor technical challenges" usually feels like a code for "mandatory six foot drop."

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

H13 posted:

So I started with 0 fitness, found out I enjoy mountainbike riding and have been building up my fitness to hit some trails and not die.

I've been making a lot of good progress in most areas except out-of-saddle riding. Both of my kneecaps track poorly (and I'm an old man), which means that there is a certain range in my knees where I have very little strength and it causes pain to "push" through that.

I can stand on my pedals and coast, but when I go to pedal, there's a bit of pain\weakness pushing down from the top of the pedal. I figure I just need to ride more to strengthen those knees before that becomes more comfortable\feasible, HOWEVER:

Anybody got any advice for out-of-saddle riding for unfit people with bad knees?

Go see an orthopedic PT. My partner is one and I've heard her describe plenty of cases similar to yours where she's had good outcomes.

There's no easy fix for something like what you've got. Go let a doctor help you, it'll be the single best investment towards improving your riding. No doubt there are a few adjustments you could make to the bike, but the #1 improvement will come from fixing your body.

In terms of what you can do to help yourself immediately, I would say the first is that you should be pedaling faster in lower gears. You generally want to spin quickly with less effort per pedal stroke. Generally, it's best to avoid having to really crush through a pedal stroke unless necessary. Second, visit a bike shop and ask them to evaluate your fit if you haven't done that already. You can generally get a quick fit from a shop for a minimal fee and it could really help reduce your knee pain.

Take care of yourself and keep riding!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I cant wait to take it to an actual trail (if I can make it uphill).

As someone who started as a road cyclist, the fact that uphill was not just a matter of turning pedals was a very unwelcome surprise.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

That looks pretty darn small. You sure it wasn’t there before? Awful nice of the shop to offer a replacement.

Anyone know anything about the RM Instinct 50? There are a couple on Jenson and that looks like one of the few bikes I could actually give. Reviews seem pretty tepid.

I don't remember which Instinct I demoed last November, but it was alright. Very smoothy turny, felt like it would be fantastic on flow trails. Too bad we were in the Lunch Loops.

Climbed more nimbly than average for its class, but I felt it wasn't as comfortable in the nasty techy descents that Grand Junction is known for. Didn't do too much more to help me than my cross country/short travel trail frankenbike if that makes sense.

Overall I felt like it was a reasonable bike. If you ride a reasonable amount of flow, you'll love it. If you only ride tech I think you'll be disappointed. Caveat is that the suspension wasn't fully tuned for me so I'm sure some of the bike's ability was left on the table.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sadi posted:

ONE OF US!
I bought mine used as a rigid black frame. Painted it, found a take off fox 34, xt 11 drive train, parts bin xt brakes, china carbon narrow rims for gravel days, and $75 WTB 27.5+ wheelset for chunkier days. You can still find tons of good deals on used stuff. You just have to be patient and fast. I picked up the XT 11 speed shifter, derailleur, chain, cable, cassette all for $200 shipped with zero miles.

Any one have shop recommendations for bike rentals around Moab? Going there for a week in late May.

I rented from Moab Cyclery and they were competent and kind with a decent lineup. Didn't blow my dick off, but they're a good shop

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sadi posted:

Those who've ridden Moab, I have a few questions.

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

It's unrelentingly chunky all the way down, so definitely get a big bike. Also it's so much downhill that you're not going to get punished on climbs.

Also it's June, it's gonna be fuckin hot.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

bicievino posted:

Cool, good to know. Hoping I can find one in stock.

Prolly won't mess with the plug kit - I really prefer dynaplugs to bacon strips. Figure I'll jam zipties or something in that space instead?

Used my zip ties twice on the White Rim two weeks ago, strongly recommend

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Levitate posted:

good luck finding one though, I've been looking for one for my wife

The Ripmo AF I was supposed to get mid May has been delayed to September. I am sad.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Long live the franken bike

At least now I have a solid reason to finally change out my nasty rear brake hose.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

yoohoo posted:

Earlier this week at a trailhead I had an older couple ask me about hiking, what trails I normally ride, and how to find them, at a place that is decidedly not meant for hiking. It's off the map and not somewhere you would just stumble upon - it’s on logging company property that a local trail alliance has an agreement with. I told them this and emphasized that the trails are steep and winding, with berms and jumps, and that they really shouldn't hike here. Their response was “well there’s only one car other than yours so we probably won't run into anybody.” I’m all for hiking and getting out on less popular trails… but they didn’t seem to care that these were not hiking trails. I told them that they could get seriously injured if someone comes flying down a dedicated bike trail and isn’t expecting to see hikers and they just brushed it off with a “thanks for the heads up, we’ll just go exploring” and that was that. Thankfully I didn’t see them once I got out but it made it a lot harder to let loose for fear that I’d run into them.

There was just a big ol Facebook post in our local trail group about hikers routinely getting on to B Line at Red Hill. It's a steep, techy, loose, and exposed one way descent that puckers my rear end in a top hat on my best days.

Literally every other trail allows hiking and in fact there's a hiking only trail that roughly parallels it, but for some reason people just gotta go walk up it. It's led to multiple MTB injuries, despite a poo poo ton of signage.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I run DHF and Ardent. I like that the bike goes where I point the front wheel, but the Ardent has a nice balance between low rolling resistance and reasonable braking control. It's pretty decent.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Your buddy seems Very Good

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suburban Dad posted:

Nice.

I want to build a bike but am too annoyed with supply chain to deal with sourcing stuff. Maybe next year. My dropper is slowly dying and even finding a replacement is going to be tough.

My crappy Taiwanese dropper exploded a week ago and usually I'd just replace, but considering the supply, I actually sat down and managed to get it working again. Kinda proud of myself, not gonna lie.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Suburban Dad posted:

I've taken it apart and greased it a few times but the air chamber is sealed (not really serviceable) on it and it's getting a bit slow to return. Not much I can do but replace that part or the whole thing. In a bontrager which has pretty 'meh' reviews so I'd rather just replace it with something better.

Oh yeah, I mean if the piston thingy is shot you're screwed. Didn't mean to say replacing wasn't a good idea in your case, just commiserating regarding the current parts shortage.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Today I rode in Crested Butte

It was good. We earned our turns for a park lap today and shuttled Doctor Park yesterday. Not too crazy in general, but really great riding both days.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Going to Park City in a few weeks, looking for a good route for a larger, pedal-powered day. Group is strong intermediate with one advanced rider (not me lol) comfortable with jump and tech features.

We've done the Epic before, no thank you on a repeat. We are definitely going to hit up South Maple Hollow in SLC on the day out because those are super fun. Also probably Deer Valley bike park one day because my partner really enjoyed our time there before. Also did Sardine Peak up by Ogden but we don't really want to drive that far. Did Round Hill and it was a great system but a little tame.

So looking hopefully for something on the Park City side of the Wasatch since we're staying at Wasatch Mtn State Park. Any thoughts on Flying Dog? Is the stuff near the Olympic Park good? It's really hard to tell from Trailforks/MTB Project because there are just so many goddamn trails.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah we had a lot of lightning last night and I think there were like 11 fires in the valley. Pretty crazy poo poo, it's so loving dry. Really hoping the MTB network out here doesn't sustain much fire damage this year

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

PolishPandaBear posted:

I was thinking about going to a bike park this weekend for my first time and renting a bike since all I have is a hard tail. They have bike insurance for $25. Is it a good idea to to pick it up?

I'm not going to be hucking it on A-Line style jumps or anything that might break the bike, but imagine I could fall and scratch something. Anyone have a recommendation here?

Don't bother, way too expensive

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Looks dope, you're doing good bike stuff

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Snowmass bike park is usually not too bad on weekends. If you're in the area say hi!

I love Welsh

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Although good luck ever buying any Santa Cruz model ever

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

You are on month 7 of waiting?

E: Rode at 5:30 am (Dakota/Mathew Winters), worked 7:30 - 4:30, Rode at 5:30 pm (Floyd). The riding was great, the work was not.

Yeh

But Moab/Fruita better watch out when I finally get my whip in September (2023)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I gotta check either of those out, they seem fun. Maybe on one of my trips to the Front Range this summer...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

rockcity posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a compact presta pump? I want to pick one up to keep in my hydration bag.

I like the Lezyne Tech, fits in my pack and works great.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Just buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Anyone ridden much near Telluride? Looking for one bigger day and one shorter day.