Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was riding over a wet wooden bridge and my bike left this plane of existence and reappeared on top of me. 8/10 wood ride again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I went for my first post-vasectomy ride last night, 5 weeks later. It was rough, but immediately after healing from that I caught a nasty cold that took 2 weeks to recover from.

It was a night ride, and although I definitely need to figure out why it takes 3 pumps to get brake pressure for my rear brake, everything else was great.
Well they did snip your lines

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Drip wax (squirt, nix, etc) is also very good

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

race face chesters - cheap, good, fun colors

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Is there a real/noticeable difference between something like a Rockshox Recon solo air and a Rockshox SID/Fox Float/etc for typical XC/blue trail riding? Not shopping, just curious. I have a hardtail with a 120mm Recon Silver RL that feels rather boingy/stiff even after adjusting rebound and air pressure, but I've nothing to compare it to.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I am bad at/scared of ledges. I've decided to wrap my hands around fear's neck.

Made it with 3 12 foot boards I had laying around, 4 pallets, and a box of deck screws. It is a 32 inch drop. Much more than I can handle so I've been bailing off the edge for now.

I have an itch to build some balance stuff like a log or teeter. But part of me just wants to start building fun BMX elements.
awesome. drops scare me too and i have to walk them/hop off without the bike before i can convince my brain they're fine

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

after years of using it as a commuter and rain bike i repacked all the bearings on my Bridgestone branded 90s steel mountain bike, put some 26x2.0 knobbies on it and plan to yeet myself down some local trails with no guidance whatsoever. i have a little experience playing in the dirt from riding cyclocross. hopefully i survive

it's going to be great

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Don’t worry about strava, ride bikes have fun.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Good deal on Freerider Pros at Jenson USA right now ($88 w/ free shipping). Black/yellow and grey available in most sizes. https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-...RBoCEaMQAvD_BwE

:shepspends:

thanks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jamal posted:

After work ride the other day
:nice:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I'll try that next time, any brand you recommend?

lol don't do this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Wait so on mtb's it's normal to just drag the brake for ages and ages? Cause yeah I've spent years training myself to use the brakes relatively briefly but hard to avoid chronic overheating on motorbikes. If that's the case then it is definitely a different problem and I'm also even worse at mtb riding than I realized, if that's possible.
Dragging brakes is bad for multiple reasons, including not letting stuff cool down. Proper form is to brake in areas of high traction and release brakes going into areas of low traction or obstacles. Braking briefly and hard in areas of high traction, and feathering them if needed for control in areas of low traction, is the correct way

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

While this is true, there are many, many riders (myself included) that aren’t the best at doing this. Especially when things get technical and steep, I’ll keep the brakes on a good bit to not get more speed than I feel comfortable with. And, yes, I know this isn’t ideal. No, I don’t need a lecture, it’s something I work on.

And depending on where you live, downhills can be multiple miles long in the bigger mountains.

Oh I'm terrible and ride my brakes all the time :ssh:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of Magic Mary tires - anyone have recommendations for/against them for PNW winter XC/AM riding over wet roots? Looking for something a bit stickier than my old DHF

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

new fork day! :shepspends:

love this ugly mismatched thing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

marshalljim posted:

That's got to be a felony of some kind, right?

sure, just catch them on video/with witnesses and get someone to give a poo poo

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

raceface chesters :colbert:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

extremely good

Bottom Liner posted:

Come ride in Florida!
no

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sierra trading post has some fivetens on sale for like $60 right now

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is Trailforks useless without the pay version?

I've been using it intermittently and finally ran out of the free trial. It seems like even basic features are locked out now.

I use the "free area" for basic route finding/trail reports without any issues

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:mods:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stratdax posted:

Anybody else have an SDG Tellis dropper? The seat is coming up extremely slowly after sitting in storage all winter. I pulled it apart, cleaned and greased everything, put it all together, tensioned the cable, all to no change, so it's the cartridge itself. It's not serviceable, it has to be replaced. I only got this thing last summer, is that the expected lifespan of a dropper cartridge?? Seems extremely wasteful.

There's no valve to add air pressure? How dumb

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m looking into switching from my ‘18 Kona Honzo to a short travel trail bike like the Canyon Neuron. The Internet seems to like the updated design. I’m not set on it but it looks great for the price. I mostly want to change bikes for some rear suspension because I’m getting old and the hardtail is starting to punish my ankles and back. The 68 degree head tube angle on the Honzo isn’t confidence inspiring either (Neuron has a 66deg HTA).

Any other bikes I should check out? I ride sloppy blue tech/roots and attempt jumping in the PNW. I’d swap a nice 120-140mm DVO fork to whatever the new bike is, so builds with budget forks aren’t an issue. Aluminum is preferred over carbon, and climbing ability is just as important as descending to me.

I looked at the Commencal tempo and Transition Smuggler/Spur but those are $$$$

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bud Manstrong posted:

The Ibis Ripley AF seems like it would tick all the boxes for you.

Nohearum posted:

Hard to beat Canyon pricing but the Fezzari Delano Peak can be had with DVO front/rear suspension. SLX build is currently $2999.
:shittydog: Ordered the NGX ripley

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I would not ride the drillium crankset

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hardtail has been beating me up so I'm trying this full suspension thing.

it's roughly the same weight as my hardtail, surprisingly climbs better, and descends much better. not having to unweight the back for every little root on climbs saves so much energy. what a dream

wife just ordered one too :getin:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

COOKIE DELIGHT posted:

Sounds like you had a blast! Those days where you feel like you actively level up are so great, and I can absolutely relate to returning to the local XC spot and feeling underwhelmed.

I drove from Austin to Dallas yesterday to pick up this Banshee Paradox v3 build:

First pic is from the listing and the second is from this morning.

It's possibly a little overforked and I think I might prefer a Pike 130mm vs the current Fox 36 Rhythm. It's my first dropper post and also seems like it might take a few rides to get used to the modern geo.

The bars feel very close comparatively and it feels like it's harder to pull on the bars proper to sprint uphill, otherwise having an absolute blast and can't wait to hit up Spider Mountain.

I have a new/take off 130mm Fox 34 performance for sale if you're interested :wink:
Let me know if you want me to make a sa-mart thread

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

Any recommendations for tire pressure on my Roscoe 7? Beginner rider, 145lbs, also using it for some gravel/trail riding and even some short paved rides just because it's my new shiny toy and I can get rides like that in on my lunch break

I like these calculators --

https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

For reference, I weigh about the same and run 19 psi front and 22 psi rear for downhill/trail riding with 2.4" tires

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

should I just be dropping the seat for the descending bits and then rising it back up for climbs?
Yes, down for descents where you’re standing, and up for climbs/flat where you’re seated and pedaling

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Try Black Diamond, or if you're up for a drive there are a couple small parks in Tacoma and a huge one in Bellingham (Galbraith)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Duthie hill (and the XC trail across from it), Black diamond, Swan Creek. There are more but I've forgotten the names. Open Trailforks and zoom out to find local spots.

Did you make it up hollywood/heart attack hill without putting a foot down?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:nice: that's a fun challenge. There's an event every spring called Stinky Spoke that gives out medals and shots at the top

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I recently got a ripley so it's either the best or the worst choice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

AF or Carbon? did you happen to ride both?

af - I wouldn't ride a carbon mtb unless someone else was paying for it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah, i don't want something I'm definitely going to crash to be as fragile and expensive as cf

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have a muckynutz rear fender on my Ripley AF, though I still caught a rock in the upper linkage that was crushed and made some nice gouges. I added a bit of electrical tape across the upper linkage to fix this issue.

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 31, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I bought that grx ripley in may for 3500 :negative:

the dropper on the grx build is trash and had to be rma’d immediately

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I’m 5’11 and ride the L. it feels great except for pedaling feels like i’m slightly too far over the bottom bracket and can’t get the saddle back far enough. it’s more awkward than uncomfortable

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Can someone explain to me what a "nice dropper lever is"? I have only had the dropper lever from bontrager that came in my trek. I push and the seat goes up and down... What am I missing?

Sounds like a nice lever to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:stare: that thing is massive