Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I just started riding again. My current bike is a 20 year old 60 dollar NEXT from Walmart that was sitting in my buddies parents garage for 17 years before he gave it to me and I made it function. I ride around a hilly neighborhood, some easy dirt trails in the forest, and a gravel flat canal path. Would some 100 dollar bike from amazon be a decent replacement for my needs or should I avoid it at all costs?

Comedy option: I keep shot gunning parts at my current bike until its been completely replaced.

I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ktaxon-Mount...4721&th=1&psc=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Just curious, what makes the cheap bikes so dangerous? Certainly can't be worse than what I have I would hope.. unless quality has really really took a nose dive.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Where are you located and what’s the budget? A $100 new bike is not going to bring you enjoyment because it’ll barely function and you’ll be frustrated at the amount of time you spend getting it to work somewhat decently.

South Eastern PA. Im really not going to be taking it on any rough terrain, at most some dirt trails in the woods where the most abuse it might see is hopping a downed log. Mostly using it for some exercise on paved neighborhood roads a couple times a week. My requirements really are two wheels and some gear shifting, and some shocks would be preferred. I didn't really want to go above 200 in case I get lazy or bored and this hobby doesn't stick.. but if everything down in that range is complete garbage or worse, unsafe, then I'll start looking at more spendy options.

What I have now functions okay enough for me.. the deraileur could use replacement and get me by, but the whole thing should just be trashed. It was 60 bucks new...20 years ago so it has well paid for itself. I could scour FB marketplace for something a bit better used, but I'm not all that knowledgeable in the bike realm, so I have no idea what's decent or not.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

spwrozek posted:

Bikes are overproduced right now. I bet your local shops have some entry level hard trails for under $500. With modern geo, disk brakes, gears that shift, etc.

I just checked a few local shops websites around here, and most of their inventory is way way over what I wanted to spend at the moment.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thanks for everyone's help. I realize now that I don't know poo poo about bikes haha.. I was sticker shocked looking at bikes which led me to the amazon ones considering I have the equivalent of that now. Gonna try to visit the local shop this weekend and see what they have.

If you guys want a laugh heres what I have:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Shifting is very rough, sometimes not shifting at all until I cycle through the gears a few times. Front rubber on the shocks is torn. The whole thing squeaks and clicks like hell. The frame is not straight. Lots of rust. It does what I need it to do, and I could fix some of the issues, but its that classic dump money/time in to it or just get a new one kinda deal. Like I said I just started riding again for some exercise and the goal is to use it 2-3 times a week 30-60 minutes a day.. more if possible but trying to be realistic.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So after talking with some co-workers I decided I was just going to keep what I have for now and ride it until it breaks... not gonna put a dime in to it, but try to tighten things up and ride it till the wheels fall off. Planned to start saving some money and looking for a more quality bike while I see if I continue to ride this one. So I get home and my tires were a little low so I filled them up to 50 PSI. Two minutes down the road and the front tire pops. Luckily its supposed to downpour the next few days as I decide what Im going to do.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
5'9" 34 inseam. Budget 100-300 (can go more but don't really want to)

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/

I have two actual bike shops, Dicks, and probably some other sporting places around me. And of course Walmart. Im in the suburbs so.. pretty much anything.

Polish fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 21, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah I felt that too but the tire claimed 45-60..so I went on the lower end. Should of factored in the 20 year old rubber.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Would something like this:

https://www.guysbicycles.com/product/gt-aggressor-sport-385459-1.htm

Or this:

https://www.mthollybicycles.com/product/gt-palomar-385458-1.htm

Be pretty decent? Just trying to gauge what to look for. Yesterday I was gonna pick up a 100 dollar bike on amazon now you guys got me looking at 500 dollar bikes. In reality a department store bike will probably fit my needs completely, but I 100% agree with what everyone has said in here. If anything.. I'll drop 500 bucks on a bike it will definitely motivate me to use it. I do have lots of bike trails in various parks near me, nothing like the videos posted in here, but I could go on them.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I have 26" now and that is fine for me so 27.5 would probably be ideal. Whats the deal with the lack of kickstands? I get at a higher level shaving weight and everything, but down at the lower level, don't most people need to eventually rest their bike somewhere?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Went out today to go look around. Went to Dicks to look at that GT Aggressor which is completely out of stock everywhere. Moved on to a local bike shop that was very helpful and had a Diamondback that was nice but it was a 20" frame with 27.5" tires, which is a tad too large for me. So since its Sunday and every other local bike shop is closed I went to Walmart just for shits and giggles, mainly to sit on a few different size bikes. I ended up getting a new tire tube just to make my current bike useable and I'll go out and Friday and continue the search.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Well in a turn of events, I just took my bike out with the new tire tube, this time filled to 40 PSI.. and it pops after ten minutes. Turns out the outer tire is ripped right at the bead, exposing a metal bead ring which was slicing the tube open. My brother in law just gave me his Schwinn mountain bike that he has used all of two times, its about ten years old and in great condition. I rode it around for an hour and it was way way better than what I had. So back to my plan to ride this thing around save up some cash and then find something a bit better.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

VelociBacon posted:

For what it's worth (this wasn't the problem this time) you generally want 22-28 or so PSI in a bike tire.

Is this for more off-road, on road, or both? I have more of a thinner tire with somewhat aggressive tread, its certainly not any of the fatter tires I saw on the nicer bikes.

I've been riding for about an hour each day trying to get my leg strength and endurance up cause I'm an out of shape piece of poo poo, but I took to the local woods today. Everyone around my neighborhood seems to be maintaining the trails and everything isn't over-grown yet. I really need to work on my front tire hop, which I can only get about 3-4 inches off the ground. Also need to get a better gauge on what gears I should be in when doing things. I typicaly stay on the middle gear for just about everything and stick to the higher smaller gears when riding around on pavement. I kick it to lower gears while going uphill, but even that didn't help in the woods with roots and bumps everywhere. I'm sure my current physical level isn't quite there yet. I'm having fun and even though this isn't the best bike, it'll do what I need it to for now.

I had mountain biking in high school, and generally just rode a bike when I was young so I have some idea of what I'm doing. But fast forward twenty years of bodily abuse and cheeseburgers, and I kinda just suck at stuff now.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay good to know. I am mostly doing asphalt right now and kinda dipping my toes in to some simple trails. I might lower it down to 30 and see how that goes.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I'm 5'9" 180ish pounds trying to get to 165-170. The only reason I went up to 50 was because the tire claimed 45-60 PSI so I figured 50 was on the safer side. I am not too familiar with tube tires though so any information is helpful.

e: Wait, they have tubeless bike tires? :aaaaa:

Polish fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 27, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Alright, I'm quickly starting to "get it" with the whole mountain bike thing. Just this conversation about tire pressure has me all excited, I need to go back and read this thread. I was just doing this to get in to some sort of shape, but now I am thinking this could be a new stupid expensive hobby. What have you done.

Are there some kind of beadlocks for running crazy low 5-8 PSI for like sand? How do you deal with a tubeless tires coming off the rim?

Polish fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I'm a mechanical engineer and a Jeep owner so this is all scratching all sorts of itches right now.. Theres an offroad youtube guy that just had some big event where Berm Peak drove up a trail in Utah and then rode his bike down it if you wanna check it out (hopefully timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn4U26UGvPc&t=1261s

I dunno if this Berm Peak guy is good to watch to learn stuff, he seems pretty competent, but I don't know.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Totally agree with the voice, but he seems to know what he's doing so I can tolerate it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

taqueso posted:

Post the schwinn!

It had some handlebars that pointed forward which I just removed, so the grips are now too short. But its got a sick kickstand.

I still need to get a new seat, this gel seat cover thing makes me sound like I'm farting the entire time, which would be impressive.

Polish fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 27, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So I've been riding every day that I can, and exploring the woods trails by me. So earlier I was asking if a 100 dollar bike would actually kill me or if it would be okay. After finding some more downhilly type trails... a 100 dollar bike would absolutely kill me. I've been going up and down these things very slowly, trying to practice and really focus on what I'm doing and how I'm riding, etc. I am a ways off from doing these things at speed, but even slow I am like... yeah this is fun as hell, but do I trust this Schwinn?

Still trying to get the bunny hop down, I am still doing the "just pull up" on the handle bars method, which I know is wrong. I am not comfortable enough on the bike yet to do a proper bunny hop. I've been watching a bunch of videos though and I am practicing. And it seems literally overnight, the viney rose bushes are invading the trail area so that is a ton of fun riding through at a few MPH. I am currently not wearing a helmet because I am at a fairly low risk of crashing, but that is also limiting me from trying to push my boundaries. What kind of PPE should I get first? Helmet for obvious reasons, but like.. elbow pads? Gloves? Seems like a fall on a downhill forest path could gently caress you up big time.

I've been bringing my nephews along with me too and they are loving it.. its nice motivation to have them improve and helps me to keep going.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah I got a rose thorn right in the tip of my index finger today and that still feels lovely.

Also, any tips for riding through mud areas? I try to stick to the higher ground but my back tire always kicks out and slides around. Had a bunch of rain lately and there's two mud spots right at the beginning of the trail.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yeah I wear thin knee pads 99% of the time when I ride and they save a ton of small bruises and scrapes. Personally I don't find elbow pads that useful, I end up with more hits to my hips and thighs than I do arms and elbows.

The one that often gets missed in 'protective gear' imo is eye pro, whether that's a cheap pair of safety glasses or some fancy MTB shades or goggles, keeping wind, bugs, and dirt out of my eyes has probably prevented a half dozen bad crashes I can think of off hand.

Yeah I'm wearing a baseball cap and lower my head when going through reaching rose vines.. terrified of getting my eye taken out by one of those. Maybe I'll just bring some clippers and keep the roses at bay as I ride.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I'm sure there's some specialized mountain bike specific knee-pads, but volleyball knee pads got me through a lot of paintball and ice hockey goalie in the past. Very non-intrusive, and protective enough.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
So it's been pouring rain here for the last few days and tomorrow so all I can do is sit here research poo poo. I might actually go with the walmart 29" Ozark Trail Ridge for my first actual mountain bike. For the cost, it seems like the components and construction are well beyond my current needs. Upgrading is also a thing, which is the route I want to go since I do also want to tinker. I think that was the first bike someone recommended in here too. I was comparing it to a Trek entry level and it seems about on par or slightly below, but I still don't know quite what I am looking at. Taking Youtube reviews of it with a grain of salt, but it does seem like a pretty solid entry level bike, which is exactly where I am at. Anyone have any suggestions or anything?

My backyard a few hours ago so you can enjoy the rain with me:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I mean I get it, I am not a fan of walmart.. but can anyone tell me why lets say a company like Trek is better? Seems all or most bikes, even the most expensive, all have bolt on components from various manufactures, and most bike companies just produce frames and assemble the bikes.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Are there service manuals from bike manufactures and such with proper torque values?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

afflictionwisp posted:

We wake up, get to the office, and start thinking about biking instead of working.

I actually changed my office hours to come in an hour early specifically to start riding my bike when I get home.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah I watched him and a couple other people talk about it. Like I said, grain of salt, but it doesn't seem bad. The fork is the same fork on a Trek Marlin 6. Most components seem to be industry standard fits, and half decent quality. For that price point really the only argument against is "buying from Walmart" and "qualifications of who put it together". I am probably going to pick one up and I'll document how it goes here and the ups and downs from a new rider. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the rear end, but we will see.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Thank you kimbo that was very informative and the kind of information that I'm looking for.

How do I start bunny hopping? I've watched a bunch of videos explaining it and I understand the positioning and movements needed. I just have two issues, first being a mental block and building up confidence in my abilities. I'm still building confidence in maintaining balance and handling the bike, which with time I will solve all of that. The second is my seat is too high. I raised my seat based off of your guys suggestion and its in a really nice position when riding. I'm getting better power out of my pedaling and its much more comfortable. However, it seems that its too high to get into the first position to do a jump. I stand up, and then try to crouch down to get my thighs at a 90* angle and by that point I'm basically on the seat and that doesn't quite work for the rest of the jump.

I am mostly following these guys procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEWDBU-FSY&t=190s

Obviously my first issue isn't making any of this easier, but I also feel I can't physically get in to the proper position. Is it as simple as, when I am going to be in a jumping type environment, lower my seat? Is constantly adjusting your seat height a thing? I am still doing the incorrect method of just pulling up on my handlebars which I know is wrong, but I can't jump over logs any other way yet.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Today was a beautiful day out, and I didn't ride, and I feel bad. However, I did ride on Saturday for 3 hours so I figured I'd give my sore legs a rest today. Put my one nephew on his first bike with gears vs his little bmx style bike and while he found it harder to ride at first, he quickly found out why gears are good on hills. Also found a great little loop in the trail behind my house that has some potential jumps, hills, and climbs that seems really good for building skills. So I took my two nephews through that like 20 times or so.

So this brings me to needing a helmet. I know I should be wearing a helmet at all times, and doubly so to show my nephews that wearing a helmet is the thing you do. So any suggestions? Also, gonna pick up gloves because gently caress these rose bush vines.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I always over-inflate a tire and then use a nice gauge to air down to my desired pressure, this is coming from automotive tires but I do it on my bike tires too. I almost never trust the pump gauge.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I'm looking for a bike rack for my Jeep and this is terrifying. There is a few 100-150 dollar options that might work okay.. but I know I should be looking at the 400ish bigger name brand options. Anything with fabric straps I just imagine will fall off in the middle of the road, can't have my free Schwinn or potential walmart bike taking that kind of damage. Also, a proper carrier will be more expensive than my bike which seems insane, but I also don't want anything to fall off into the road which could be a disaster on many levels. There are a lot of spare tire mounted options, but I think I want to go with a hitch mounted since I can at least use that on a future vehicle when my Jeep dies. I can always just throw it in the back for now so I have time to weigh my options here.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

prom candy posted:

I found some dry single track today while just riding the main trail! I haven't ridden anything like that since maybe October. now i'm hooked all over again.

bad news is like 9 of the next 14 days are calling for rain but still, i got on some single track earlier than i expected and that's pretty nice!

Yeah I had to rest my legs today because yesterday felt like I was biking through mud yesterday. My leg muscles have been sore since I started this new hobby and I just went for a walk today to rest. But it's supposed to be torrential downpours...again... for the next couple days and it feels bad.

Thank you guys so much for all the help you've been with all this and helping me out with all my newbie questions. I am amazed at how quickly this has hooked me and I am glad for it, and I really hope that I stick with this for a long time. Everyone in here has been extremely helpful in the short amount of time since I started and its been great. I am getting my young nephews, my co-workers, and my friends all in to this all thanks to you guys, so once again, thank you!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I simply ride my bike

Yeah that would be a death sentence where I live. Suburban hell where all the green spaces are quickly becoming 55+ communities or 600k+ townhomes. The small woods trails by my house are connected to a farm from the 1700s which has an awesome dirt trail going all around it. They are trying to build 100+ houses on it which is going to suck when it eventually happens. Luckily I have a few nice parks and a few good county run trails, but I have to drive to them since all the old roads with too much traffic would certainly kill me.

If I go 30 min or more in any direction except West, I can def find some good rides once I get better, and a bike rack.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I finally figured out how to get my front tire off the ground without pulling up on the handlebars. Watched some random youtube last night about basic skills and the guy said to push down on the pedals like you would be jumping on a trampoline, and for some reason that clicked in my head and worked. I could reliably do it on a driveway and my backyard grass, but on the trail was a bit trickier since I was tired and also don't have the timing down yet. Luckily I was trying it on little roots that I could ride over. I also went down one dirt hill at some speed* and used the banked corners which put a huge smile on my face. I still don't have a helmet yet so I am still not risking anything too much (birthday is next week and people needed gift ideas).

I have drastically changed my eating habits and been active every day. I am def loosing fat, but gaining weight due to muscle growth. Going up the two steep hills in my neighborhood is getting easier every time, and I am not getting winded as much from doing it. Legs still burn like hell on the ascent, but it takes time.

Roots and rocks were knocking me around sideways a bit today. I am guessing bigger tires, better line choices, and learning to control the bike better will mitigate that though. I still think I am going to go for that Ozark Trail walmart bike, just to see how good or bad it actually is. However, I have been eyeing up some Marlins and Marins in the 600-700ish range. Until I pull the trigger I am going to ride the piss out of this Schwinn.

*speed being slightly faster than riding my brakes the entire time

Polish fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 16, 2024

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I agree. I know 100% I should be wearing a helmet and I am going to remedy that. I also have weighed in what I am doing and feel I am comfortable to do what I am trying to do without serious injury. I know I can't control every aspect of what I would encounter for a ride, but I feel what I am doing currently I am at low risk for injury to my head. That being said, I am getting a helmet soon and will be wearing it.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yeah I never suggested nor said I am not going to wear a helmet. In fact I said multiple times that I am going to wear my helmet all the time when I get it. I agree with everyone that it is dumb as poo poo not to, and yes it is a very stupid thing I am doing. If I had a helmet and said I am not wearing it because helmets are dumb, then by all means call me a loving moron. But the helmet actually arrived today, so that is solved! Thank you for your concerns and kind words.

To be progressive maybe if a new person comes in asking questions, perhaps suggest some good helmets before even thinking about getting a bike? I've been riding for a few weeks without one on the misconception of trusting myself and what I am doing as low risk, and I am sure I am not the only stubborn dumbass to think that way.

I even found this very helpful guide for helmets of various prices:
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Someone posted a link to that site and helmet reviews when you asked about what helmet to get. Riding without a helmet is dumb regardless of whether or not you have a helmet. You know what I did last time I broke a helmet? Didn't ride until I got a new one!

Yup, they did. I guess I missed it or forgot it was posted. Thanks for the reminder. Glad you are staying safe, thank you for your input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
I had a really good ride today, can really feel muscle improvement since I started. Now that I'm wearing a helmet my confidence has gone way up and I am quickly outgrowing my Schwinn. Still only hitting up the small trail in my neighborhood, but it is still offering plenty of challenge and learning for me. I need to take a day and do some maintenance to my bike like tightening up some cables that have some slack. I have a water bottle and a little storage bag now which have both been great additions. I got the Trailforks app which shows me the bigger trails in my area which I am going to check out.

This is a pretty good example of the terrain I will be riding around here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGV__ok85o

I am still practicing getting my front wheel off the ground which is going well. I have successfully gotten over some small branches that I could ride over, but I am just practicing form and timing. Still can't get my back wheel up, but I need to build up more confidence in my balance. I am realizing I am quickly outgrowing the bike that I have and I want to get a better bike. I've expanded my cost options up a bit and have found some bikes that I think would work great for me, however it's like nothing is available in stock anywhere. I keep going back to that Ozark Trail, which might not be the best, but its available today if I want it and I can upgrade it which I would love to tinker on. Browsing used markets daily have produced nothing yet, but I am better informed than I was a month ago or whenever I started this.