Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Mountain bikes are the best bikes. Mountain bike thread best bike thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Last gen Horsethief.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

yoohoo posted:

What's the deal with companies moving to carbon only frames? Is it that much more profitable? I'm in the market for a new bike sometime in the next few months and every single one I've narrowed it down to don't have an alloy option.

What bikes are you looking at? It tends to vary by company and model.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not sure I have any advice on those particular bikes, but the new Hightower has an alloy model if you’re looking at Santa Cruz bikes. Specialized also sells the new Stumpjumper as an alloy bike. I’d guess you might have better luck finding aluminum bikes from the larger companies: Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. You could look for an older Guerilla Gravity frame as another option. Maybe like a last generation Smash?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Has anyone posted recently how much fun mountain bikes are? If not, a friendly reminder.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Tenacious J posted:

Hey I'm new to MBs and have a few newbie questions. I picked up a bike this spring and have been getting addicted to it. I was kinda uneasy even taking sharp corners on flat pavement at first, but now I'm ripping around comfortably. I've been spending most of my time on gravel/dirt multi-use paths around my city and exploring some of the bigger hills and valleys. There are a lot of narrow and twisty bike paths off the sides of these trails but they look stupidly steep and full of roots to me. I see MBs on them sometimes though and they're clearly made for (or by) bikes. I live in a huge valley so pretty much all of these paths are heading up or down a massive hill full of trees and bushes. I want to start using this bike for more exciting things than exploring/peddling down a path and I guess that means learning how to ride those trails.

I know it's hard to answer but is there any advice on the 'progression' or something towards riding tracks like I described? I'll probably go try a few this week - which leads to the most embarrassing question but it's not a problem to just go really slow in a low gear right?

If you've been spending most of your time on gravel/dirt paths around town, I'd recommend using a website like TrailForks or MTB Project to research what other riders in your area have marked as trails. You may find that some of the trails you are currently riding are listed as "Green" (beginner) trails. Look to see if there are any nearby Blue/intermediate trails and see how it goes. It may even give you information on the paths you mention.

If you don't feel comfortable with a feature on the trail, just walk. There's no issue with going slow, or using an easier gear, but you will find that some things on MTB trails become easier with a little bit of speed because it gives your suspension less opportunity to get stuck. Similarly, you'll also find pushing a slightly harder gear than you think might be right can be helpful to get some torque through features on the trail.

It can be hard during covid, but following other people that are better than you can be extremely helpful too. They will be good at showing you lines through terrain you may not see when you're starting out.

Some general recommendations:
- Don't tense up, try to be loose and let the bike move around.
- Look down the trail, not at your front wheel. If you're nervous about something popping up on the trail, the best thing to do is to see it as early as possible and to start preparing for it. Target fixation on the MTB is a thing and if you stare at what you're trying to avoid, you'll head toward it. Look down and where you want to go.
- Keep your weight centered on the bike, not too forward or back. There are times when you'll need to shift your weight around (like descending over steeper terrain you want to shift your weight back) though.
- Watch a video on cornering and practice it. Everyone struggles at this and you can always get better.
- Wear gloves. You will go down at some point and it'll save your palms. If you think you'd feel more comfortable with knee pads, there are lightweight ones that might work for you.
- It's really easy to just walk things you can't do, but there can be real value in stopping, reading lines, and seeing if you can work on smaller pieces and build up. Sessioning stuff isn't the funnest thing, but it helps progression.

Ask the thread about things that come up. MTBing is lots of fun!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Also, agree. I think Kyle and April do a nice job with their tutorial videos.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bud Manstrong posted:

Maverick. Ethan does great work.

https://mavericksuspension.com/

If you want to ship it out or drive to Longmont, DirtLabs is good as well and has a relatively quick turnaround.

DirtLabs rebuilt my Ribbon and I was very happy with them. Had to order parts from Grand Junction and still had the fork back within the week, IIRC.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you ever need riders to burn in trail my services are available.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

thatguy posted:

Not sure if this is to me but you're welcome to come out anytime, send me a PM or email me at hccjosh@gmail.com and ill give you all the info about whats finished whats not etc. Its in black hawk, co

Will do!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

I think I put in my most vert in one ride this morning (4,170'). It was real hard not to take the bail out option before the grueling 1300' of climbing towards the end. It was fun overall with one hike a bike section that was not as fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3889160198

That CT descent off the back of Georgia is so good.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

It was the first time I have gone down it. I would say it was good but not the best part of that ride for me. I think the descent from the top of CO 176 down to the dredge lot is better if you can catch it with limited people.

Never done the 176 descent, I’ll have to check it out.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

I meant from where 176 meets the CT and going down the CT to the dredge lot (the last big downhill on the ride I did today). I wouldn't ride down 176, It is a nice climb though from Keystone.

This loop is pretty fun adding in Captain V. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5691391/keystone-gulch-to-soda-creek-loop

Ah, ok. Breck is actually on the short list for next weekend so I’ll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for sharing the link!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Also, similar area but if you have never done Lenawee from A Basin, I highly recommend. It’s a lot of fun.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I sold a bike yesterday very fast after posting. From time to post to taking it down after getting home from the sale, it was up for 6 hours? There just isn't much inventory on the used market right now and there's no stock in stores, so people are willing to pay.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you like cornering of an SS but want grip try a Dissector or a DHR.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
At 5'6" you'll probably be fine on a 29er. Some people that are shorter do feel more comfortable on 27.5 bikes and the frames look a little bit better IMO in those smaller sizes. Try before you buy if you can.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Suburban Dad posted:

Couple tire questions I wouldn't mind getting thoughts on. I'm seeing some odd wear on the right knobs (left side in picture) on the inside edge on both front and rear. Any idea what causes this? Same tire, Bontrager XR4 2.4. Running 21/23 psi tubeless and around 195 lbs so I don't think I'm going crazy low. No rim strikes or anything like that or wheel issues due to it so far. It's like this the whole way around with wear and chunks worn away.

Next, how long do tires last generally? Probably depends on a million things but I've never had to replace any due to wear thus far so even a range would be helpful. I'm a little over 800 miles on these and I seem to be having more sketchy moments on trail (front and rear both losing grip at times) but not sure if that's a result of the dry summer and dusty blown out trails, tire wear, or dicking with cockpit and making stem shorter and riser bars (less weighting on the front so more washouts, etc.). Seems like plenty of rubber still there so I'm inclined to keep using them or swap the front to the rear and get a new front possibly.

Rear:

Front:

There’s some wear on your center tread and the inside of your side knobs. Doesn’t look too bad though and not EOL yet. I’d keep riding for now but 800 miles is pretty good for a set and you could swap soon if you wanted. If you’re trying to save some cash, your front probably has more life than your rear and could be moved to the back while you buy a new front.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

thatguy posted:

for you boulder goons, is there an area I should focus on looking for cheaper housing? I'm gonna be there for approximately 6 months from April 2021 to Sept/October with a crew of 7-8 guys. I'm pricing in 8k a month in housing stipend but I don't know where I should be looking. I'm not too familiar with the area and I'd at least like to have the option of paying for their housing but I'm seeing like 1700-2k a month for for a 2br anything that isn't an absolute dumpster fire, and I'd much rather rent something big that can house everybody. Renting a ranch or acreage is an option, most of us are used to backpacking.

In the city proper will be hard. I would look at the surrounding towns of Longmont, Loveland, Louisville, Louisville, Superior and Broomfield.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

e.pilot posted:

If the answer isn't sweet skids I don't want to hear it.

Riding downhill fast?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

afflictionwisp posted:

I think I ended the ride going down Knucklebuster then up VW. I wish there were maps posted at the trail forks, it's hard to know.

If you have a phone with you, the MTBProject or Trailforks apps can help you out.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

Ah yeah. I get that they don't want to run up against the law or anything. They do review it all by hand though which takes time for sure.

Really? They have stuff on the site in the Jamestown area that suggests otherwise

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spwrozek posted:

Not saying stuff doesn't slide through or that they did the same thing in the past. When you submit trails now though there is a disclaimer about legal trails only. You have to submit maps or links to show it is a legit trail.

These trails are legal but recommending them to people is terrible advice and I don’t believe anybody who approved them has actually ridden it. But I guess a legal/illegal check wouldn’t flag this

It does make me happy they check and care enough to not piss people off

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Nice job! What shock is that?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Samopsa posted:

new bike day :getin:

Hell yeah.

Guess I should repost my new bike from the picture thread because why not

This thing has been lots of fun to ride. Mountain bikes are the best.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I would also add to keep secret secret and don’t blast them all over Strava and similar websites.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

And the older kid just picked out the MF'ing orangest lid to replace his old Giro. It's going to be fall colors for the next couple of years.

I've been looking into replacing my stolen spectral and now covet a 5010 very badly.

Do it

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

I think it definitely depends a lot on personal preference. I'm 37, pretty much the right intersection of ability and experience before the inevitable (and hopefully slow) decline. I'm shredding my 27.5 way harder than I ever rode my 29. I even rented the 29 version of my bike when I was in Washington and just did not enjoy it nearly as much, and even had some numbness in my fingers for a couple weeks afterward.

I just hope they keep making awesome bikes no matter the wheel size, because if I didn't have mountain biking I'd have probably gone crazy sitting at home the last 7 months.

Hand numbness sounds like bad setup. Not sure why that would be related to wheel size.

29ers are good. But if you prefer 27.5 that’s cool too. I personally have no desire to move away from 29 for the time being.

Fall is finally starting to show up here in CO.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

n8r posted:

I created a pair of trailforks routes that combined were 5 miles shorter and 1000' vert less than what my garmin measured. Anyone else have this issue?

The climbing could be GPS + altimeter differences but that mileage is a huge gap. Did TrailForks screw something up and drop a trail? Do you possibly have a second GPS track from another ride to verify your file?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

jamal posted:

Got a little bit out of town to do a ride I've been wanting to do for years. Trail 7 in the swan mountains, a little bit to the south of glacier national park

bring your bear spray

Generally this ride gets shuttled, and we sort of did that, by parking a car at the bottom of the road and then driving a little bit up toward the trailhead. Which meant we still had to ride 2k feet up to the start of the trails and then back to the first car on the highway.

You get up there a ways

These mountains are big and pretty remote. Don't gently caress up.

There was a pretty long section of hiking

The new bike worked really well except for when i sliced my rear tire like 10 min into the ride.

hi

we came from over there

This is extremely my jam. Looks like a great ride and would love to do something similar if I ever made it up to Montana to ride. How exposed did it get at the top?

Ropes4u posted:

How dumb of an idea is it to buy a Commencal 29/27.5 downhill bike?

If you'll go to the park to enjoy it, do it.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You can install them with enough rubbing alcohol. There’s a video on their site I believe.

Similar to VacaGrande, though, ESI grips didn’t work for me on longer stuff and the GA3 grips work much better.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

me your dad posted:

Thanks - that's good reasoning. I noticed only recently I'm getting hand fatigue on normal trail rides (about an hour duration) and I realized I haven't bought new grips in years.

Grips (possibly a more ergonomic grip to help with wrist angle), brakes (strength and positioning), bars (carbon or another compliant bar) are where I'd start if it's an issue after you try the new grips.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

n8r posted:

Looking at the new Ripmo Deore build. I know there are a few Ripmo riders here so I'm looking for some feedback.

Currently riding a 2017 Norco Optic 27.5 which is 140/120.

My local trails are around Wenatchee wa, mostly blue square, will I feel horribly overbiked?

Done any big 5+ hour rides with it? How is the efficiency over long distances.

How is the ground clearance? I'm constantly pedal striking with the Optic on technical climbs. Drives me nuts...

Should I upgrade to the carbon wheels? It's $800 to do so, and I could get some Chinese wheels for that price. I'd end up with two sets of wheels which might be nice.

Other brands my lbs carries are Orbea and Norco. Any thoughts on their bikes? Norco you get some pretty good value for money, and a new Optic has been on my mind. I'm not sure just going up to 125r travel is going to provide the ride I want.

I don’t have a ripmo so will not speak to that part of your post. But what do your buddies ride? I know in my riding circle here there are a range of bikes from people who ride similar stuff. Might not hurt to ask something with a bigger bike to see how they do. My gut would say that from where you live, you’d probably be ok. And if you ever drive to bigger stuff, I think you’ll be happy to have a more capable bike. My bike is a 140 and feels like too much for the stuff closest (that I ride a good bit) but on the trails I want to feel most comfortable on it’s great so I’m happy with the trade off.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

DeesGrandpa posted:

Had a deal to buy a sweet purple 2019 surly krampus that fell through and I'm bummed. I'm sure 29+ is as stupid as 27.5+ was but I have continually failed to learn that lesson and it looked rad.

You don’t have to run + tires. I have 2.5/2.4 on my krampus and will probably just move it to 2.6 front and rear next time for tires.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Gryi posted:

I think this is a common occurrence, could somebody please confirm?

Just looking to get into the sport, so I went to my local Trek shop. Test rode several and decided I absolutely love full suspension, but it was out of my budget. They said they were clearing out past model years and had a 2020 Slash 8 for 2000 bucks, about half price (3800 retail).

Looking online, even used, I can't seem to beat this deal, except for bikes direct... but it's still bothering me that I could spend 2K and end up not liking it.

I did however take a fully rigid with knobby tires verrrrry slowly through our local double blacks and had a blast.

Is a year old model half price how they typically clear them out? Thanks in advance.

Do you have previous experience riding bikes? New to the sport and riding double black trails fully rigid is loving impressive (assuming this means the same thing to both of us). If you stick with it you’ll probably want a FS bike to be able to carry more speed on those trails.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
$2k for GX eagle, a Yari fork and SD shock doesn’t seem terrible either. Certainly not in today’s market.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

I was considering riding tomorrow in a race that I signed up for 1 loving day before my wife tested positive for the 'rona on Tuesday. I know it's not smart but the start is displaced and you can go on the course whenever you want within the window. Thankfully the rains from the latest tropical storm are drenching the course and I'd rather donate $50 to my favorite trails than spend hundreds more for repairs - or worse, injuries. I'm still not 100% after my fall 2 weeks ago, but I think I could have finished the 46.5ish miles.

Stay safe out there, live to ride another day!

Sounds like you might still be considering racing but please don’t. Signed, everyone else. In fact, quarantine with your wife.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Nocheez posted:

Nah, it rained all night and I'm not getting hurt again 2 weeks after falling and bending a rotor. I'm currently watching megamind with my toddler and playing with little plastic hockey players.

Not sure getting why racing today was a bad idea. If you’re considering dinner at a restaurant tonight, maybe don’t do that too.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ropes4u posted:

What is the best option for frame protection? I have narrowed it down to using helicopter tape or one of the kits but thought I would ask ..

I’ve wrapped two bikes with RideWrap and been happy. Helped wrap another bike and I think that one turned out fine too. Just long and tedious to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Boogalo posted:

Id planned to take it easy and roll everything but that bottom launcher is deceptively aggressive so i was a bit too fast, caught air in bad position and got launched otb into my face and shoulder. At least no concussion and lower body and torso are fine. Medical was surprised i was so lucid after a slam that hard.

Jesus dude. Really happy you’re “ok” for the most part. Hope you have a smooth and quick recovery