Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I rode the gently caress out of my bike last week, even though it was hot as hell out. It was my work-from-home week and I took full advantage, logging ~60 miles at the Whitewater Center. I did two shorter rides Monday and Wednesday, then pushed out 28.1 to beat my casual roadie brother in Florida who did 28.0 a day earlier.

However, I did have my worst crash in a while by going OTB on the easiest loving trail, the Lake Loop :doh: I was 2 miles in to the start of my ride and carving a little s-curve when I caught my front on a root while accidentally holding the front brake lever. I managed to unclip my shoes and do a dive-roll, the bike hitting only both tires as it went over me. I stood up, knew I'd hurt my shoulder but decided I was good enough to keep going. I did 26 more miles and didn't even notice the nasty bruise on my thigh until I bumped the steering wheel getting into the car.

The next day the weather is clear I'm getting back out. I already cleaned all the mud and gunk off the bike, and I'm ready to crash again :hurr:

Have another pic of it because it was loving BRIGHT out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

bamhand posted:

My family is looking to do some hiking around the Pisgah region around Labor Day. Any recommendations for vacation home rentals and trails to do? Looking for places that will house about 6 people. I'm the only one that bikes out of everyone but I'm REALLY bad. What are some beginner friendly trails?

Dupont is pretty newbie friendly, there's nothing too extreme if you follow the main trails. I stayed in Brevard over Christmas this past year and it was wonderful. Even though I was just a few miles from the trailhead, it still took a good 25-30 minutes to drive there because of how remote some places can be.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
26 Scenic Site Dr, Pisgah Forest, NC 28768 is the address of the place I stayed. It was very remote, took 20 minutes to get to town but the views were gorgeous!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Ride my bike this morning before it got too hot out. Lots of smiles per hour!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I figured out my chain slapping issue was that the clutch switch had come loose and just needed pushed back into place. IDK if that's something normal but it was new to me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Did you soak the rings? If not, I'm pretty sure that's an important part of doing a fork service properly but I only took a class and did it myself once - not an expert.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I'm originally from Ohio but I've only done Vultures Knob near Wooster. I'll be visiting my family near Akron and I'm thinking of bringing my mountain bike. Any recommendations for what I should try to hit?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hypnolobster posted:

Why are there so many Ohio mtb goons??

But really, East Rim (Cuyahoga Valley National Park) is the obvious answer. It's probably the best trail in northeast Ohio.
I say that having built all of the Cleveland Metroparks mtb trails.
If you're going to do one, it's East Rim.

Hampton Hills (Summit County Metroparks) is also fun and nearby.

I moved to North Carolina 15 years ago like any sane Ohioan does, but all my family is in the same little town outside of Akron. If you need some suggestions in the Charlotte and Asheville areas, lemme know :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the suggestions. NEO peeps tend to have a rep for being assholes, but we'll do anything for a complete stranger won't we?

I'm bringing my road bike to ride around with my brother, but I have space on the rack so why not?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Welcome to the flatlands. We still call it mountain biking but it feels like a joke saying it.

I really enjoyed pumping out 20+ miles in like an hour and a half near Charleston, SC. I just wish I hadn't been bandit riding on a naval base by accident :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

You’re making me feel like a doughy piece of poo poo because I almost died (not really) of heatstroke on this very trail in my admitted cycling infancy.

In my defense my truck thermo read 99 in the shade of the parking lot.

The weather was warm but not stifling. I ride much more elevation around Charlotte so this felt like riding at full throttle almost the entire time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It looks like it's just cleanup, is it possible they have already moved on?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

me your dad posted:

Does anyone know where to find a replacement cap for a Camelbak reservoir (Crux 3L)? Camelbak sells replacement caps, but it seems only for bottles. I don't want to spend money on a whole new reservoir unless needed.

https://www.camelbak.com/en/accessories/caps

Have you tried contacting them directly? With my Osprey packs have needed new fiddly bits they've usually sent one right over.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I like variety, myself. Some punchy, technical climbs with chunky descents? Sure! A quick downhill with a long run up the next hill where I can corner and keep pace? Alright! Some easy sections with cheap thrills and a few features? Awesome! A nice family ride on the towpath with a conversational pace and stops when needed? Let's go!

Just ride for miles and smiles and don't worry about what everyone else likes. There's no such thing as guilty pleasures, only pleasures.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My brother and I were comparing Strava stats for the year (he does mainly road riding with a $300 bike in Florida) and laughed so hard to discover that I had only 1 more mile than him.

Then we checked elevation and I was at 34.2k feet to his 3.7k. It's fun to show up your older, more athletic brothers :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It sucks, but it's still cool to see bikes ridden hard.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The best trails are ones with good views along the way. My favorite thing is to see a spot on the top of a farawayhill on the horizon and say, "I'm going to be standing there in 2 hours" and then doing it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That looks epic! I live for days like that, wow!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have an osprey pack that is nearly a decade old and has seen thousands of miles on the trails and been all over the country. It still works great and I only recently replaced it with another one that is less beat up and has more space for longer rides.

I highly recommend them, especially with the Airspeed trampoline-like mesh that lets air flow through and keep you cool.

I should take a picture of all my Osprey gear. They are pretty much all I buy when it comes to bags, even luggage.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think it definitely depends a lot on personal preference. I'm 37, pretty much the right intersection of ability and experience before the inevitable (and hopefully slow) decline. I'm shredding my 27.5 way harder than I ever rode my 29. I even rented the 29 version of my bike when I was in Washington and just did not enjoy it nearly as much, and even had some numbness in my fingers for a couple weeks afterward.

I just hope they keep making awesome bikes no matter the wheel size, because if I didn't have mountain biking I'd have probably gone crazy sitting at home the last 7 months.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

vikingstrike posted:

Hand numbness sounds like bad setup. Not sure why that would be related to wheel size.

Not sure, but I locked out my fork and shock for a paved 50-mile ride and it destroyed me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Decided I would sign up for a 45-50 mile race in a couple weekends, so yesterday I went out to get some miles in. It was slick and I crashed twice, the last being a fairly major one. I'm bruised and sore, but I already ordered a replacement rotor for my bent one.

I'm still going to try to finish that damned race.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Kilazar posted:

I'm looking into getting more seriously into MTB than my KHS Alite 300 (2007) will allow.

Holy awesome! My first mountain bike was a used Alite 500 (2002) and it still works, my buddy has been losing tons of weight using it in conjunction with his diet.

I can only recommend what I've been riding the past 18 months, a 27.5" Giant Trance 3 (2019). It's been a great bike in all respects, and just looking at it makes me want to ride.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I signed up for my first race in like 3 years. It's the Whole Enchilada at the Whitewater Center. 45-50 miles, enough climbing up make it hurt. I will be doing it this Saturday, 13 days after a crash at the same place.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Ropes4u posted:

sounds like you need to move to Bend Oregon..

Don't I wish...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

me your dad posted:

I need new grips and I'm trying to decide between ODI Rogue lock-on, which is the only grip I have used in the last 15 years, and the ESI Extra Chunky grips, which I have never used. To those who use ESI grips, while they look smooth, I imagine they are very grippy - can you confirm? One thing I like about the Rogues, besides how meaty they are, is that they feel almost tacky to the touch.

I love ESI extra chunky grips personally.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I was considering riding tomorrow in a race that I signed up for 1 loving day before my wife tested positive for the 'rona on Tuesday. I know it's not smart but the start is displaced and you can go on the course whenever you want within the window. Thankfully the rains from the latest tropical storm are drenching the course and I'd rather donate $50 to my favorite trails than spend hundreds more for repairs - or worse, injuries. I'm still not 100% after my fall 2 weeks ago, but I think I could have finished the 46.5ish miles.

Stay safe out there, live to ride another day!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Nah, it rained all night and I'm not getting hurt again 2 weeks after falling and bending a rotor. I'm currently watching megamind with my toddler and playing with little plastic hockey players.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
JFC I said I'm not leaving, chill. The event is over in a couple of hours.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I would buy that bike and I know nothing about it. If it's too much, sell it for a profit and buy something else.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
drat, that sucks! Get better soon.

I definitely made the right choice not to ride, and not just the public health reasons. Lots of crashes occurred on the wooden bridges, they were very slick and there's no chicken wire or anything on them for traction. A few people broke bikes and others broke bones. I'm glad I wasn't able to ride, I'm pretty sure I'd be one of the casualties right now.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
It took almost 2 weeks but I realize that I broke at least one rib in my last crash. Isn't it weird how the ugliest bruises don't hurt that much but stuff you can't see is agonizing?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

Nocheez did they not do a normal chest x-ray when you got the imaging done? Or am I thinking of another goon...

Not me. I took a fall but didn't get any medical treatment. I even rode the same route a week later just to say I did it, plus another 4 or 5 miles afterward for good measure.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I call out because people's ears point forward and it's hard to hear people coming up behind you. I usually give them a heads up about what I'm going to do and when if it's narrow or I need to wait.

It sucks that many times I'll say something like "I'm behind you but keep going until the trail widens and I'll pass you in a good spot" just to have someone stop at a terrible spot and kill momentum for both of us.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

ought ten posted:

Hey, I'm trying to get my first mountain bike since I was a teenager. Hoping I might get a decent end of season deal on a used bike. I'm pretty set on a hardtail, mostly for affordability. My usage is going to be northeastern single track without much elevation. Different mountain biking friends are giving me different advice on looking for a 29 or a 27.5. So seems like the best course of action is to get more opinions from more people. Is there a consensus, or an easy rubric?

Ride both, if possible. When I started riding, I had a lovely 26 and when I got a 29er I felt like I could just easily roll over everything. I tried a 27.5 a couple years later and everything just clicked for me. I'm really happy with my 27.5 for the riding I do, but I can see getting a 29 in the future if I lived somewhere else.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
That may be important, too. I'm 4'20" (or 5'8" in lame units) and the 29ers feel like I'm sitting much higher overall, with a higher center of gravity. The 27.5 feels more natural and easier to throw around and correct mistakes on.

But ride as many bikes as you can. Buy the one you like the most.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I bought some cheap-rear end headlamps on Amazon/eBay like 4 years ago and they just work well. I'm sure one day they'll catch fire and send me down a ravine, but I'd like to hear what the best dollar/performance options are out there.

I have two of these on my handlebars for flood lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HNL4DTS

And I ended up buying 3 total of these because I liked the light but the battery life is only about 70-90 minutes, so I needed extra batteries.
https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemid=152165053391&transid=1791002527005&ul_noapp=true

I bought some extra 18650 batteries for the floods, but to be honest I've never needed a fresh set while on the trail. I have less than $110 invested in everything but I know I'll need to replace something eventually.

What are y'all using?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have to bring up the Airspeed-equipped backpacks for Osprey. They have a trampoline that lets air flow through and straps with gaps. The added padding is nice when you go OTB.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My cracked ribs are pretty much healed, thank you very much. I'm glad the weather has been lovely, gives me less opportunity to go injure myself again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I said I cracked ribs, not that I sought any professional medical help. What do I look like, an e-biker?

this sport will probably kill me but it'll be with a smile on my face until nearly the end