Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Smacked my derailleur cage on some rocks during my last ride and seem to have bent it slightly. Shifting into the two biggest rings produces a bunch of skipping and some obvious unhappiness. Any harm in trying to bend it back a little? It's a Shimano M8000 11spd if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

Blackhawk posted:

Any thoughts on 29er's for a 5'7"/170cm short guy on a bike mostly for bikeparks/downhill riding? I currently have 27.5" wheel trail bike but seems like everything has gone 29er now-days. Bit concerned that 29" wheels would be pretty big compared to my size, especially for tight bermed corners, smaller jumps and drops etc. Maybe mullet would be a compromise?

There's no harm in trying them out, you might just like them a lot. I ride with some folks similar in height to you and some of them rip it up on 29" and some on 27.5". I've had both through time and each has it's merits. It doesn't have every imaginable bike, but https://bikeinsights.com can be a good thing to get some perspective on what the actual difference in size may be.

In other bike news I just keep hitting F5 waiting on my shipping notice from Industry Nine, patience is hard when I want my new shiny bits.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

ought ten posted:

Speaking of tubeless, I’m on my first set. I was out a couple days ago and needed to add a few pounds to my rear. When I started pumping a small amount of sealant started bubbling out where the stem meets the rim. It stopped eventually and the tire seems to hold air fine. Is that anything i need to worry about?

You can just try tightening up the nut holding the stem a bit, otherwise if it stopped it sounds like the sealant is doing it's job alright. Keep an eye on it, but I'm sure you're fine.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey yall, I have a bike with tubeless, but I bought it used and don't really know poo poo about tubeless. The bike sat over winter, a week or so ago I topped up the air in the tires and took it for a 5 mile jaunt around our neighborhood. No issues.

I just saw it in the garage, front tire is entirely flat. I am assuming correctly that I need to add more sealant goop, then air it up and see if it holds air again?

Yeah that’s a great place to start, pretty likely that’s all that’s going on. Spin the wheels around some after adding sealant and you should be golden.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

prom candy posted:

How hard is swapping pedals? Can I, a guy who's done zero bike maintenance, handle it without loving anything up?

It’s pretty easy, we believe in you. The trick is that the thread direction is different for each side. But if you just remember that turning towards the front of the bike will tighten them, and the reverse is true.

Use the cranks for leverage and just be careful about bashing your knuckles into the chanting. You can wear leather/work gloves for some protection.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

Quizzlefish posted:

Maybe a dumb question but do you all drive to the place you are riding every time or do you ride on the roads to get there? I'm in suburban London and have good places nearish but not really enjoying the riding on the roads with cars

I’m about three miles from a trailhead, so most of the time I just bike in/out. Last time I drove there was the first time I took my fatbike out in the winter.

That said it’s super common to drive in/out, so you do whatever is more comfortable.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Any recommendations for some lightish "trail" knee pads?

Considering something like the Leatt Airflex or POC VPD

I really like my Fox Launch pads, pretty comfortable and have definitely saved my knees from some poo poo. Previously I rode with some Dakine pads, but the redesign made the fit be terrible.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
You should try it, or any other bike, out if possible. I love my 27.5”, and came from riding a 29”. I’m solidly in the medium size. The Salsa is a nice bike overall too, bikes are just hard to blindly recommend as ‘the choice’.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
I really liked Rock N Roll Extreme when I was commuting in everyday through the MN winter. Good ratio of effort to apply and protection.

The conditions were less muddy, but there is a feel of a lot of sand, salt, and grit around here.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
That is the real way, since I’ve lived just a couple of miles from the trailhead I just bike in 9/10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
I’ve run a couple e*thirteen TSR+ cassettes so I can keep running HG, and they’ve been pretty trouble free. They definitely fill a bit of a niche, which I appreciate.

You do get some bigger gearing jumps, but nothing is too clunky really and shifting remains smooth across the range.