Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The old thread was my best contribution to these forums. Farewell, old friend.

In other news I’m on a trip to the George Washington National Forest right now. Did Reddish Knob yesterday and have never gone so fast while still grabbing my brakes at the same time. Today was Lookout Mountain, which featured a crazy technical descent after miles of climbing on fire roads.

I’m loving this poo poo; it’s a nice diversion from the manicured singletrack I normally ride in the DC area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

If I was going to buy an aluminum bike I would go pick up a Ripmo AF

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripmo-af

A friend of mine has a Ripmo AF and absolutely loves it.

...how the hell is anyone getting a new bike these days, anyhow? Any time one of my favorite local shops gets any new inventory it’s gone in a day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

We got a little snow in DC today so I took the fat bike out and brought along a thermos with hot chocolate and bourbon in it. Did like 12 miles all told- a lot of the streets were just wet and slushy, but there were some lovely pockets of nice snow to ride in as well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

me your dad posted:

I rode right past this dangerous friend today:

A young copperhead right on the side of the trail. He spooked me pretty good as I rode past. I tried to nudge it off the trail but he wasn't budging. I hope nobody gets tagged by it.

Gonna guess Lake Fairfax?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

Rampage seems like an event where it's just a matter of time until someone dies. It's an amazing spectacle with amazingly skilled riders but the consequences are so high and the pressure to progress and push the envelope are so intense that skill only goes so far.

I hope TVS has the best possible recovery. His injuries make my broken humerus pale in comparison and the last 3 weeks have not been fun time at all. Can't imagine the pain he must be in.

Remember the huge canyon gap and the Oakley Sender features from years past?

I wonder if Rampage's evolution from being a "big mountain" event to being a "slopestyle but on holy loving poo poo scary terrain" may actually produce more injuries. TVS' injuries are more "dude got hit by a car" than they are "dude got in a bad bike wreck."

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I went on a super fun 16 mile ride with a good friend today and it was nothing but swooping descents, fun and playful climbs and being fast in the flats. We had rolled the dice on the trail in question being potentially unridable due to recent rains, and were instead rewarded with absolutely hero dirt.

Riding bikes in the woods is really good and we should all endeavor to do that as much as we can. Goddamn I love being a mountain biker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You can’t get a snakebite puncture on a tubeless setup

I got two of them last week during the same ride. I couldn’t plug the second one and it took me and two friends 45 minutes to get the tire off to put in a tube.