Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Turmoilx posted:

oh wow.. yeah id definitely NOT be able to do that at my probably 18 and 20 psi.. haha (paved paths was my plan and i didn't bother to lower for this place) until i get that gauge im worried about lowering it to much and having a weird leak again out of a spoke

i wouldn't even know where the path goes in that picture do you just follow the road of spikes?

A rock garden like that a a bit like one of those choose you own adventure type of books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Unless you select exactly the right path, you die horribly?

You had a pedal strike. Turn to page 69.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Are there any fatter grips available? I already have ODI Rogues on my bike, and it seems like those and Oury grips are what people recommended for people with larger hands. Not sure I'd like ESI Chunkies.

I've also read about people double or triple wrapping with road bar tape. Has anyone ever tried that?

Maybe I should also try to get padded gloves...

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I guess I'll need to try the silicone foam style grips then. Thanks everyone.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
My saddle just broke. On my road bike I love my Specialized Power in 155mm, but don't want to spend $130 bucks for it to get smashed up when I crash.

Is there something similar that would be more MTB worthy?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I feel like you can't go wrong with WTB: https://www.wtb.com/collections/saddles

Of course everything is basically sold out...

Of course. Should have known to look there.

I guess I was hesitant because I didn't like the OEM ones they provide for Salsa.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

n8r posted:

Did you like the one you just busted? Get that. I have a saddle I like that is out of production. I’ve started a hoard of them and am up to 4.

It was an old Spec Ronin from 2013 or so. Wasn't really my favorite.

Sounds like I should buy a few more Power saddles to keep on hand for road use.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Yeah, that color is real nice.

I'm wondering if it would potentially be better/safer to get a BMX style handlebar with a taller rise rather than an adjustable stem that could come loose over rough terrain?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

We are using the adjustable for now because it will most likely come down as we determine the best fit. I actually just dropped it a bit last week. It’s not intended to be a forever stem, and the LBS knows where I’m riding and don’t think I’m anywhere near able to hit a trial where it will give out before I do. Once we get a better understanding of how aggressive I can eventually go with it we will try and swap it for something more permanent.

They also check it for me every couple weeks (I check it every ride).

Ah, got. That makes sense. And it sounds like you're doing a good job looking after it.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I was thinking about going to a bike park this weekend for my first time and renting a bike since all I have is a hard tail. They have bike insurance for $25. Is it a good idea to to pick it up?

I'm not going to be hucking it on A-Line style jumps or anything that might break the bike, but imagine I could fall and scratch something. Anyone have a recommendation here?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Cool. Thanks.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Ok, bikes reserved with insurance. Thanks y'all.

I ended up getting a Spec Demo Expert 29 in S4. I'm a little worried about the 465mm of reach being short since I'm 6'-7" tall with a 40" inseam. Although with a downhill bike you'll be standing in attack position so maybe I shouldn't be concerned? I also got a Demo in S3 for my girlfriend's dad who's around 5'-7". You think that'll be ok? I'm not sure about his inseam.

The other bikes they had were a Scott Gambler 920, and in a premium category a SC V10-U and a Yeti SB165 which is an enduro bike.

This is Thunder Mountain in western Mass if anyone's familiar with it.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
@mashed_penguin, Good poo poo. Hope you can get back on the bike soon.

Aphex- posted:

drat that sounds pretty intense, glad to hear you're recovering well!

In other news, night rides rule.

What light is that on your handlebar? I'm in the market for one. I have a Cygolite Metro 1100 that I plan to mount to my helmet.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Well gently caress, my bike was stolen. It was only a base model Timberjack that I got for $700, which is still a lot of money, but better than losing a $6,000 carbon full suspension bike. I succumbed to my girlfriend's wishes to get it out of the apartment so I locked up in my building's car garage, and of course yesterday was the day that the doors malfunctioned and opened by themselves.

I've been having upgrade-itis for some time now anyway and have started saving up for a Hightower. Looking at Pinkbike buy and sell, being 6'-7" my choices of XXL bikes are limited.

I was looking at this, but the chips kind of concern me on a carbon frame. Is that something to worry about?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3131436/

There's also this, but a bent dropper and only a single stock photo?
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3188714/

Fork looks like a recipe for leaks and headaches.
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3113367/

Other bikes all seem to have lots of travel:
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3213966/
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3223414/

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Taima posted:

I do have to admit re: a dropper post, I bought my wife a dropper post for her bike a couple years back and somehow I ended up getting like... the wrong part? It didn't work based on her cable routing or something (interior vs exterior routing?). Then i got busy and lost the window to return it. I am still kinda salty about it.

I say follow this saga from the road thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933899&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=130#post513960871, and DRILL IT!

Yeah, new bike will definitely live in the apartment. Just looked at a shop near by and they claim to have XXL Trek Fuel EX 8's in stock on their website.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I think someone mentioned it upthread a bit, but I wanted to bring it up again, I really liked Ben Cartho's vids on the Pinkbike YouTube channel. He does a really good job walking you through a bunch of skills and how to do them correctly, but also what to not do with visual examples.

Something that hasn't been mentioned, once you get onto more technical downhill sections and drops, it might be a good idea to remove the rack and top case and use a frame bag or a backpack for your snacks. It'll give you a little more room to maneuver when you need to get your hips further back.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
This is something I need to work on. Last time (read first time) I tried a pump track it felt so alien. I couldn't make my body and the bike do what I wanted them to do.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
A shop not too far away had an XXL Fuel Ex 8 in stock. It's the slightly less expensive GX version, compared to the XT, but I'm coming from 11 speed NX so it feel familiar. Decided to bling it out with some red Chesters that the shop had aswell. NBD was technically yesterday, but I took it out for the first time today.

I definitely feel more confident on it than I ever did on my Timberjack. The brakes are much better. I love having a 200mm rotor up front.

Still need to work on the suspension since it's my first full squish, and first real fork. And I'm thinking about getting a taller riser bar and some fatter grips, probably ESI Extra Chunkies.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I wish I could go every weekend. It's not even that far, just about a 2hr drive from where I live, but with gas being $7 for premium almost everywhere in LA nowdays the trip alone costs about 55 bucks, not including the lift ticket. I'll probably get a season pass next year if gas calms down by then, I'm chomping at the bit to go again.
Hey, I'm on the west side and usually ride around Sullivan/Mandeville since I can ride my bike there from my apartment, if you ever want a riding buddy. I'm slow and not very good though.

I definitely feel the gas prices. I had a WRX wagon up until last fall when my GF and I got a Crosstrek. Still not great with gas mileage, but not having the premium tax definitely helps. I was about to buy a hitch adapter since I already have a 1up so I could check out trails further away more easily, but maybe I should hold off.

I feel the age too. I only turned 30 this year, but I've always had bad knees and can feel them needing more recovery.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I am also slow and not very good, perfect! Only been riding outside of teenagehood for about 6 months. I tend to ride in PV since I'm down in the south bay, usually we hike a bike :goonsay: up to malaga dunes for the jumps there. And yeah, the premium tax sucks. It's not all that much, 20 cents or whatever per gallon but that poo poo does add up. For the WRX hitch, I bought it from etrailer.com for just about 150 bucks, took a dremel and about 2 hours to install in the driveway. Even if I were only keeping the car for another year I don't regret the purchase, was cheap enough to not worry about losing that money if I sell the car sooner than later.
Nice, I've been riding for long enough that I should be decent, but it's hard to split time between road and mountain biking. I know about Portuguese Bend, but I didn't know there were trails there.

Well, the hitch adapter is ordered. I'll have to head over when it's installed. The trails I usually ride have been incredibly hot and it'd be nice to check out something cooler. I'll send you a PM.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Would some blue thread locker not help here?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Generally you shouldn't use it for something that has a torque spec and you expect to be installing and uninstalling a lot, it can change the resistance under tightening and result in undertorque. As I understand it.

Should I be more careful with torque spec on my MTB and road thru axles? I've always just hand tightened them. Is there a large effect on beating preload? Even on cartridge bearings?

marsisol posted:

Any recommendations on lightweight, short sleeve mountain bike jerseys? Now I wear some of my road stuff (too constrictive) or random "athletic wear". I'm looking for something not too baggy.

Not being plastered in goofy logos is a big plus.

I just picked up a bunch of short and long sleeve REI hiking shirts. Simple colors and no glaring TLD logos. And they're half the price of every MTB brand jersey that I've seen.

https://www.rei.com/product/163975/rei-co-op-sahara-t-shirt-mens

https://www.rei.com/product/163977/rei-co-op-sahara-long-sleeve-t-shirt-mens

Edit: They're also UPF 30 which is nice.

Edit2: Fixed all my horrible typos after being quoted.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 18, 2022

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Scrapez posted:

Got some Deity High Side 80mm rise bars for my San Quentin 2. The stack height is super low in stock form and my old back isn't a fan.

I ordered the 35mm because Marin lists the stem as 35 only to find out the stem is 31.8. Found a new Race Face Turbine locally so I swapped that out as well. (The parts swap addiction has begun.)

I'm sure it'll make climbing more difficult. I can already tell the front tire is easier to bring up on flat ground. But, hunching over was killing my back.

I rode all of Esther's Loop today without putting my feet down or for a rest for the first time. Really bad at riding a mountain bike but getting better. This poo poo is hard. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arkansas/esther-s-loop

I've been looking at these for a few months. I'm 6'7 so I just need a gently caress ton of stack height, even on my XXL Fuel EX.

How's the stiffness? And were there any climbs on your ride today?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Step 2: Get better pedals in a rad color.

Those will likely fail on your second ride.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

The gently caress, no they won't, lol. This isnt a huffy or something. That said, they are inferior to better pedals with metal pins/etc.

Ok, second ride was a pretty big exaggeration.

Assuming by them having reflectors, they were free or extremely cheap from the bike shop since bikes never come with pedals. I've never had a good experience with free or cheap pedals. I had ones once where the spindle didn't go the full width of the pedal and the pedal body kinked and eventually fell off. And they looked exactly like those.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Magnetic Bluetooth front derailleur

Pretty much, but just a boring old front derailleur mount with a cover on it.

You can also buy bottle opener replacement plates:
https://www.jensonusa.com/MRP-Decapitator-Fd-Mount-Bottle-Opener

Edit: The better use for it, a chain guide:
https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/chain-guide-high-direct-mount

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I need this but it looks like they don't have a way to buy it here? Is this a common thing or should be I brand aware?

Plenty of brands make them.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/gnarwolf-chainguide-high-direct-mount

I also saw a Shimano one on Jenson.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-S...frFlmnNj-UrqbF4

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

dema posted:

I think sweet fixie bros and broettes still use straps, but I haven't seen cages or toe clips in the wild for... years.

My girlfriend still uses clips. Her bike is also an 80s touring bike, so they look sort of period appropriate. She has shoes and clipless pedals on her spin bike, but hasn't gotten the courage up to use them outside.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Finally got the 80mm rise Deity Highsides. Feel more in the bike now rather than over it. No issues with feeling like I was gonna tip back on climbs. If anything, climbing was easier.

Edit: Finally looks like a trail bike instead of an XC bike too.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 28, 2023

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

XC bikes are cool

XC bike are dope.

It just looked little funny to me, a big slack heavy trail bike with a crazy tall seatpost and a slammed cockpit.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Did another ride on Sunday and it really does just feel so much better. Hope you like 'em too Suburban Dad.

And it sounds a little weird, but I think the higher bars are letting me go into a better hinge position with more weight on my feet and more range of motion in my arms. Kinda the opposite of what you said Aphex, but letting me weight the front when I want to instead of just all the time?

VelociBacon posted:

It's so your best buddy can sit up there with his or her feet on the pegs obviously!

I'm just giving you a hard time Polish, glad you found what works for you. I'm going to be installing my idiot suspension DH bars soon and I know I'll be roasted for it so I'm just getting my digs in while I can.

Haha, it's all good. If I chop the seat tube off, it would look exactly like a trials bike. And the only way I can get my girlfriend out to a mountain bike ride is with her on the handlebars!

Sorry you can't ride bikes EvilJoven. :(

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Car Hater posted:

New Bike Day!!!

(I'm on a mountain, it's a bike, it counts dangit)

I see how it is, one upping me with your 7 inch rise bars...

I've always wanted to try one of those.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm definitely a ball over spindle rider. I get that same feeling as Levitate if my foot slips and ends up centered on the pedal.

I feel like my ankles are pretty flexible though and it helps me drop my heels lower and have a little more shock absorption in my legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

amenenema posted:

You do NOT want a Fuel for that lol, isn't it like 30+ lbs?

Checkpoint is a great gravel bike, but biased more towards road than mountain if I'm not mistaken. Maybe look into those MTB brands that make one gravel bike that's basically a drop bar hardtail like Rocky Mountain or Santa Cruz?

Yep, my Gen 5 Fuel Ex 8 is 35lbs. It's an XXL frame, but still...

I do ride it 8 miles of city asphalt to the nearest trails, but that's mostly just to get my miles in. It can handle it, but it's definitely a bit of slog. When I get to the fire road it climbs well, but riders on gravel bikes pass me all the time.

For all day rides on mixed road surfaces I'd definitely do a gravel bike over a trail bike style MTB.