Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'3" how realistic is it that we could buy one mountain bike that would more or less work for us both?

I've gone out to the local trails a few times now on my old 98 fully rigid trek 800 (drop bar converted) and I'd kind of like a real mountain bike, and my wife is also excited to give it a shot as a fearless downhill skier and exercise enthusiast. She's also 6mo pregnant, so she wouldn't be riding a lot until next summer, and our thought was that we get her a bike that I can also ride, and then next year either get another or I go back to the trek. I was hoping a size S with a dropper post would more or less let this work, and even if the bike is a touch small for me it's probably still more appropriate than a fully rigid drop bar bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
A guy I know is selling a Trek Marlin (a couple years old model, a 6 I think) in my size for $500. Barely ridden, deore 10spd 1x drivetrain, 29" wheels. Does that sound like a reasonable buy? I bought my road bike from the same person and know him personally, so I trust his evaluation of the condition/ mileage.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
New bike day! But not for me, for my wife. 2014-ish Fuel EX 8, deore XT drivetrain, avid juicy brakes, fox float front and rear suspension.

She's been wanting to get into mountain biking for a while now. Our local bike shop got this in as a trade-in and it's her size and in impeccable condition, not terrible for $550.

We also got to meet the new manager, a former Honduras national team MTB coach. He's starting up a free club for meet-ups, coaching, and general good times so we're excited about that.

I want to track down a backup set of tires before 26" is impossible to get ahold of, but I'm hoping I won't have to track down any other parts. I'm open to suggestions about what tires specifically to look at for fairly mild trail riding.

Feel free to tell us we're crazy for getting an old 26er but she loves it so it won't change anything.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
New bike day again, this time for me. Picked up the 2021 marlin 7 I asked about earlier in the thread, stock except grips and saddle, with deore xt flats. He rode it <20 miles last year, <20 miles this year and at that point he figured he didn't need it.

After going out riding the local trails with my wife and her new bike I was ambivalent as to whether I needed a mountain bike or I could keep getting by with my 90s trek 800 sport drop bar conversion. My wife looked me right in the eyes and said "Oldsrocket, you need a mountain bike." I'm not going to argue. We're going to be spending a lot of time at the trails, it sounds like. :)

Pictures to come tomorrow, probably in the "show us your bike" thread. It's dark out there by now.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
When I had a sedan we had a saris bones and it was okay but not great, annoying to try and put a modern mountain bike on. When we got a crossover type vehicle we got a 1up and it's been worth every penny, it's really nice.