Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

How can I keep my back end from wanting to and/or washing out in berms? The stuff out here in SoCal is mostly loose over hardpack, this weekend was my 2nd time at the bike park and I was riding a little more aggressively than the first. Almost lost the rear a couple times, and lost it completely once but recovered, both while in the apex (I think, by feel?) of the berm. Could it be that I'm entering at a weird angle, and while the front wheel is high on the berm, the back wheel is still in the loose crap at the bottom when I start leaning?

I'm running a Schwalbe Big Betty out back that's a little worn, but I don't think it's horrible, but this is my first set of tires so I have no idea what I'm really looking at from a non-car perspective. I'm also heavy, and new to riding so it could 100% be form related as well.

Poor picture of my tread for reference:

Which trails? I was at snow summit a few weeks ago and only had issues with one specific berm. My bike has some pretty mediocre tires on it. Perhaps you were breaking too hard on the back wheel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you're thinking about going tubeless and using gorilla tape because you already have it around--don't.

I spent 3 hours cleaning tape residue off my rims. Spend the extra couple bucks and use some decent tape.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Sadi posted:

Huh. I put gorilla tape on a set of rims like 7 years ago. They’re still holding air like a champ.

Don't get me wrong, they worked fine for 3 years. The pain came when it came time to mount new tires.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Probably been asked to death but do you guys have a recommendation for a bike I can use on paved trails/gravel that's in the $500ish range? I'm willing to spend a little more. I don't mind buying used either. I had a Specialized mountain bike and loved it until I broke the frame. Cost me about $600 so I'm kinda looking for a similar experience. I have flat rear end feet and I want to just put my headphones in and do cardio on trails.

Marin has several bikes in your range. I really enjoy mine:

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/type/mountain

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Boogalo posted:

I use a fox proframe because its the only one that came in a size large enough to fit my head. I'm on my 2nd one. The first one worked great too. Nice and light and not hot.

I also like the new proframe for my big weird head. That being said, although it's rated for downhill it's a lot more open and ventilated (which is why I like it for trail riding) so it's not quite as protective as a "real" downhill helmet.