Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hit a newly opened trail in leadville today (off the fee area sign by the molly brown campground)

Pretty easy but fun, I'm excited to try it on the journeyman next time I'm up that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

QR is annoying today but yeah I prefer that cable routing honestly. I suppose I'll be on record as pro big ole holes

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I love to think there's people out there riding rough enough trails on a gravel bike that they need a dropper post but their 40mm tires are ok.

Yeah gotta go at least 47

Droppers and gravel bikes to use on singletrack are fun as poo poo

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Once again developed a stupid clicking while pedaling after a nice day of abusing the Journeyman on singletrack. As much as I like this bike it's had a truly atrocious number of hours devoted to maintenance both by myself and by a local shop, I think when I get it back it may be time to sell it while the current bike craze is on and get something that'll stand up to abuse a little better. Sadly my timing appears to be for poo poo as all the current year bikes I could dig (bridge club, fargo, unit x) are all in their ugliest color options.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Decided to get real dumb with the journeyman last week, feels good getting back to this thing's roots. Took it on the twin lakes loop south of leadville where some of my favorite fishing is. All my fishing poo poo, a jacket, two rods, and a sixer of beer. Was able to ride almost everything (except for drops and the steepest spots that are followed by turns) and it was a poo poo ton of fun for a such a dumb idea. The Gravel King SKs did better than I expected, but in the super snowy areas they got packed up pretty quick and got steadily more exciting as the day progressed. Overall a good time riding bikes.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Had a shameful ride today. First really steep sustained climb in awhile, and my knees especially but also some other leg muscles just hurt like crazy, and I had to bail not too far into it. Ive been getting back into squatting heavy and running and I guess I'm now too old or fat to do all that at once. Did get to ride in all the aspens as they're changing so thats rad at least.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Buffalo creek is legit my favorite in CO. I know its not the hardest but its so much fun and I think im at just the right skill level for it.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Had a deal to buy a sweet purple 2019 surly krampus that fell through and I'm bummed. I'm sure 29+ is as stupid as 27.5+ was but I have continually failed to learn that lesson and it looked rad.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah that's that poo poo I wanna hear. I remember when I had my pony rustler (before I just bought 29er wheels) the tires cost more per each than did those for my jetta.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

My quest for a fun budget hardtail came to a glorious end this morning with a Honzo ST.

Bought it from a seriously cool dude in Denver who had built it up from a frame, it now has a 140mm Pike, the recent XT 12 speed groupset and brakes, DT Swiss 350/stans flow mk3 wheelset, and a bike yoke revive dropper. It's also got some carbon bars that I will likely replace at some point. Jesus christ this thing is so loving fun, and I definitely realize now that I've never had a mountain bike with enough/good enough brakes for me.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Took a short day to have a little fun a half hour from Denver. Very much enjoying this Honzo.

Also some delicious beer from a castle rock brewery I dig a fair bit.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Perfect hardtail trails down there. Bike looks great.

e.pilot posted:

My old trails :unsmith:

Yeah I dig it. Come to think of it I think that's the system I've taken my first ride on for both of my hardtails, but never on a FS bike, totally unintentional. It is sandier than I've seen it though, I came pretty close to losing it around turns a couple of times but thankfully stayed upright.

I may just leave a sixer of something on the seller's porch, dude did a loving great build on this and a super good price. The only part I'm not totally sold on is the handlebar. Dude did a raceface SIXC, which is to me a pretty pricey bar, and feels pretty nice, but for some reason I get spooked by a carbon bar. I know this is absurd but I may wind up getting an aluminum bar and selling this at some point.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Just lovin it. Hoping that Fruita calms down a bit one the cold discourages most of the campers and I can have a fun long weekend out there.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

That timberbell was a godsend for me wrt blind corners/poor lines of sight. I'm still very much not the fastest rider, and approach blind corners as if there's someone else there as a rule, but I've got a ton of thank yous from other bikers and hikers for having that on. It's not going to solve everything, but it's a definite improvement over relying on my (now sadly quiet) freehub.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Apparently our work has an option of taking time off for election day so did my civic duty Tuesday. I somehow broke a cog on the XT cassette and it's one I use a bit and apparently that's gonna hurt pricewise, but otherwise an excellent day biking as always.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

I don't get hip packs as-is, I always find them super bouncy or cinched down waaaaay too tight. I do wonder if I tried it with some kind of suspenders if I'd have better luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

XIII posted:

lol deong was just saying this same thing the other day before realizing he was essentially describing a backpack

Nah suspenders still lets you get all the airflow, but I'm sure if it was a really good solution it'd be more common. I may just be destined to be a backpack goober.