Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Bryce bike park soft opens for the year on the 15th :toot:

Is this Bryce resort in VA? I'm a couple hours away in central VA and need to get up there and check it out. Picked up the Status 140 the other day and definitely want to get it to a bike park. Have some friends who went last year and said it was a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Nohearum posted:

I was weak and bought a $49 gravel frame today :toot:

I also have no self control and have wanted to take on building a bike up from the frame for a while so...now I have one of these on the way.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Trip report --
This past weekend, I did a 2 day MTB clinic with Dynamic Cycling in Hingham, MA, 40min outside of Boston.

Thanks for this write-up, I was looking around for clinics yesterday and found that Ninja MTB Performance does a two day course in my city that sounds very similar. Their's is at a much different price point though ($900) and I don't think it seems at all worth it at that cost... Especially given what you said about Day 1 being fairly unsatisfying at your skill level.

A local shop does 1-on-1 instruction at $90 for 90 minutes and I'm thinking I may try that out instead to get a bit of personalized coaching.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Your most economical option is probably looking at local groups or Facebook marketplace for a takeoff set. I recently bought a new wheelset for my gravel bike and the next day a buddy mentioned he and a set in the attic he could've sold me for cheap. :doh:

I see people posting things like that
in local bike part swap Facebook groups around here fairly often.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Welp today was an unexpected n+1. Went into our local bike shop/food market this morning to grab breakfast and a coffee and they had a Karate Monkey I'd be eyeballing for a long time discounted by $600. It's not really specced the way I'd like but it's a full bike for only a little more than MSRP for the frameset. Excited to get out on some trails this week on the fat rear end 2.8" tires and have a project building it out how I'd like.

It's currently set up rigid with 27.5 wheels but I'll eventually plan on getting a suspension fork and 29" wheelset for it.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

n8r posted:

Your bike shop is a grocery store?

Kind of! They carry a lot of craft beer, coffee, some produce and a lot of random local packaged foods. It's a cool spot.

https://youtu.be/1H2lMUY2eMg?si=tTAChxJzUlPRz6EG

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

This is true.

Anywhere else you can generally just lay the bike down or lean it against a building or sign. I've never really missed having a kickstand on any of my bikes.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Riding bikes in the woods is so dang fun. I was thinking today on my ride how surprised I was that riding this trail near my house still felt so difficult to me, even though I've done it a few dozen times since I first started mountain biking last year. Then I check Strava after I got home and see I PR'd a couple climbs and downhill segments about 30% faster than my previous best. I guess it's really true when people say it doesn't get easier, you just get faster. :getin:

Anyway here's my bike taking a rest in the creek on my ride. Hoping to spend a lot more time on the bike this year. Hopefully one day soon I'll actually ride this creek crossing instead of walking it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I think weight forward like what you're doing is exactly what you want on an uphill. I've definitely found myself in instances where my weight was too far back on a steep incline and as I was crawling up my front wheel pops off the ground if it isn't weighted enough.

This is from personal experience though and not from actually knowing what I'm talking about.