Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I too hate money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Taiwanese-made steel. It's the lowest end version, which is still very nice. Beautiful welds. It was a very lucky ebay find.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Nohearum posted:

eBay Sherpa meet your distant cousin PinkBike Sherpa.

Poor bike is currently in an awkward phase where he's being forced to break in a pair of his big brothers overly chunky tires until his indecisive owner decides on a new set of tires. If anyone has any suggestions on new rubber please let me know. Previously had a dissector/aggressor combo but not having much luck with maxxis longevity this year.

Hell yeah nice. Is yours also a nice metallic sparkle flake up close? Mines subtle because it's dark blue and a matte finish (plus RideWrap) but up close and in the sun it's got a nice sparkle to it. Makes me think of space photos.
What's your fit like? I'm curious because you can't just find tons of people posting their Sherpas. I've got a 17.5/Small, 50mm stem, 180mm dropper. Fork is a SID Select, 120mm with 35mm stanchions, but pretty light. Bike looks and feels super balanced and solid. I'm 5'8-5'9 with slightly long legs.
I used WTB on my cx bike for a while and then got a Maxxis front and instantly liked the feel of it and how much tackier it is. When I built the Sherpa obviously I went with Maxxis. Got a good deal on the DHF/Aggressor combo but they're a bit overkill for my local riding. I think I'm going to do a new Forekaster in front with a Rekon in the rear, probably both MaxxTerra. I could definitely enjoy a little lighter and faster tire. I keep telling myself that having the extra knobs and all is comforting but most of the terrain I'm riding I've ridden on my cx bike and know I should be able to get away with less. Just need to keep working on cornering position.

My local riding is pretty boring compared to some folks here but it's a really good bike for my local terrain, and I felt pretty good taking it up to some MUCH steeper and rockier terrain camping in Vermont. Despite all of my time on my cross bike and planning for a proper MTB for years I still feel like an absolute idiot noob sometimes, but I'm getting a little faster and working on cornering skills and trying to get the front wheel up and stuff. Switching from the dirt cheap 35mm stem I grabbed just to get the build done, to the much nicer 50mm stem with a little rise and I feel like I'm in a much, much more stable and strong position. Bike is insanely comfortable.
I ate poo poo pretty hard off a big drop last month but I think it's time to go try to send it again, rather than rolling it. I'm gradually getting more comfortable getting the front wheel up and getting into the air. I forced myself to start riding flats just to encourage better skills too.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I put an XT shifter on my Stanton and it is a thing of beauty. No mush, no pushing past the click to finish a shift. It just clicks and goes.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Going down to a 35mm length stem on that is going to be absurdly short, especially with steeper and twitchier head angles on older hardtails.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
The tryhard way to do it would be to pull the tire, check the rim tape and pull out any gunked up old sealant, then stick the tire back on and reseat with new sealant.
I refill Orange Seal yearly, with an extra ounce or two squirted in mid season. You can get Orange Seal bottles with a cap that was the tubing to fill through the valve with the core removed, which imo is the best way to do it with mtb tires. Inflate and seat, then pull the valve core, add sealant, reinflate.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

prom candy posted:

Thinking about buying a Trek Roscoe 7 (2023) for my first MTB. I have a cyclocross bike that I've been riding for about ten years but I've lost my appetite for road riding and so I want to push more into the woods. I'll probably never do anything too crazy with it but riding some flowy trails and learning some basic technical skills would be fun. Also my wife and I are about the same height so having two fairly nice bikes that can handle rail trails and gravel and that kind of thing. Is the Roscoe 7 gonna be overkill? I usually err on the side of getting a little bit more than I need rather than going under and then buying something else a short time later.

This is easily one of the best entry bikes available right now. The update to the Roscoe last year was a big step up. Keep in mind the lowest tier Roscoe 6 is the old frame and NOT the same bike, but the 7 is updated to all the modern standards.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
They should not charge you for something that is a part of basic setup of the bike you just bought.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Looking at the Maxxis website, DH and DD casings are only available with MaxGrip, with Exo and Exo+ casings coming in MaxTerra.
Honestly, you should be fine with either one.

https://www.maxxis.com/us/tire/dissector/

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

prom candy posted:

What's the best way to take advantage of my dropper post if I'm riding trails that aren't just straight descents? The system that's close to my house has a lot of ups and downs, should I just be dropping the seat for the descending bits and then rising it back up for climbs? Or should I be keeping it down pretty much the whole time?

If you aren't seated and pedaling, the seat doesn't need to be there. So why keep it there? It doesn't have to be a steep downhill for the seat not being in the way to be relevant. Hope you like doing squats

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Probably not unless you just want to spend money. I have MT200's and while I would love a more powerful, adjustable set I don't really *need* it and good brakes are like $250-300+ range

RE gloves: I like my Handups, I have a normal weight pair and a light vented pair. The normal ones get a bit warm and sweaty in the summer but the lighter vented ones have rougher seams and I find the material a little scratchy. Not uncomfortable, but not as nice as the regulars. The fingers are also long enough for my hands which is nice.

RE tires: Forekaster's can finally be found in 3C EXO and EXO+ so I may pick one of those up. Probably pair it with a Rekon in the rear to get something nice and quick instead of my current dual compound DHF/Aggressor combo for mild trails.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 30, 2023

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thru-axles are a nice upgrade to QR, if it came down to "bike with thru axles but no dropper" versus "bike with QR and a dropper stock" then absolutely get the thru axles and install a dropper later. Good chance you can get a bigger dropper that way too, if you measure right.

I'd argue that a dropper has a bigger effect on riding than suspension. A rigid fork would have far less of an impact on my riding than losing my dropper would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
A dropper is more important than suspension.