Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My family is looking to do some hiking around the Pisgah region around Labor Day. Any recommendations for vacation home rentals and trails to do? Looking for places that will house about 6 people. I'm the only one that bikes out of everyone but I'm REALLY bad. What are some beginner friendly trails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions! So would Brevard be my best bet for where to stay? VRBO has a good amount of listings around there and around Rosman.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We're mainly looking at staying in and cooking with maybe the occasional takeout so town amenities don't matter too much for us. That lake bit is really good to know. Thanks again for all the info!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are prices on bicycle blue book still (ever?) fairly accurate? I'm selling my 2017 Trance 2 at the upper end of their price and getting a bunch of inquiries. Is the market now higher than what they've listed?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I posted last night for $1600 and I have someone coming by today to take a look. My frame has a few cosmetic scratches on it and it's clearly been ridden. Blue Book had the value at 1600 for the top end of a bike in excellent condition, and I would consider mine to probably just be in good condition. I see a lot of similar stuff on Pinkbike for 2k but none have sold. There's 1 or 2 that have sold at 1600.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Meanwhile my co worker says bikes are very cheap these days and she is looking to pay up to $150 for one. I want to live in that world.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah I checked on Walmart for kicks and their cheapest adult bike that isn't some weird foldable thing is like 400. Anyways ended up selling the Trance 2 in about 24 hours since posting. Dude hadn't ridden a mountain bike since he was a kid and I knew he was going to buy it as soon as he did a bunny hop on the test ride. Even if I didn't get top dollar I'm happyknowing the new owner is going to have a blast. Sad to see it go but I just don't realistically have the time for such an expensive bike. Gonna keep doing road and gravel though. Or whatever single track I can take my gravel bike on and not die.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Wheel size won't have much to do with your height. You want to get a frame that is the right size. You probably want a hard tail or even just a rigid bike if you're not going over rocks and roots and stuff. Ton of people have a Journeyman and love it.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hey guys, really appreciated the Pisgah tips but our plans for that fell through, definitely want to get out there some time though. We're now going to the Pocono's instead, staying near Big Pocono Park. Any tips for stuff to do out there? We're bringing a Journeyman and Stuntman for riding, so wouldn't be doing any gnarly trails. Perfectly willing to take them on paved roads if there's any good road riding though.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Does't almost every single scientific study say clipping in either does nothing or reduces pedal efficiency?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If the only thing I care about is finding routes and getting directions, how's Komoot? Better than all the other app alternatives?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm particularly interested in the directions with the routes. This is more for gravel/dirt honestly.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I had to read that 4 times before I figured out he was saying the kids were overrated. I thought he was talking about the trails or something. Just didn't occur to me a that someone would be insulting the riding ability of children.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Orange seal has been the go to for the thread.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That Giant seems like a whole lot of bike at that price point.

e: At least compared to 3 years ago. I haven't been in the market for a new bike in a while.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 6, 2021

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are any of the air compressors around $50 worth it? Looking for something that will handle a range of pressures and volumes for road, mountain, and car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Well I already don't wear my wedding ring for stuff and I will continue to not wear it after that.