Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A few days ago I found the local shop and tried a few marlin sizes. They didn't have the exact model in medium-large, but they said they will order one when they do their next order on the 11th. Are there any downsides to waiting for them to get one instead of ordering online? I don't know how that process works with something as large as a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Oh I might actually be getting it tomorrow. They called and said it's in, so they must have meant the order would arrive on the 11th instead of being placed on the 11th.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got it and rode around a bit, rides really good

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The pedals are these https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/p/W566275

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Trying not to skip out on riding in the cold months this year, what warm clothes can you wear biking without being a sweaty mess?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

How cold are the cold months?

For Midwest US/Canada winter weather go with a merino base layer with synthetic layers on top. Lots of thin layers so you can open/close at will to control how fast you're dumping heat out of your clothing. I recommend chamois shorts not bibs it sucks a ton trying to take a leak in the cold with bibs. Baggy outer layers are usually better for slower more casual rides because the air gap will keep you warmer than something skin tight. Bring extra gloves so you can change into them if they get too sweaty or you get them wet for some reason and they lose their insulating properties. Keep your phone in a ziplok bag with a chemical warmer and enough cash to call a cab if you have an emergency. A lot of things that can happen on a ride in the summer that are an inconvenience at worst can turn into a serious emergency when it gets cold.

Enjoy the snow riding in the winter is a totally different experience.

Definitely. If you aren't chilly during the first 10 minutes of your ride you're going to be way too hot for the rest of it.

It usually doesn't get below freezing or snow here during the day.

Also the local sporting dept store has their clothes on sale so I picked up some more winter layers

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was slipping off the pedals sometimes as I went over the top of hills so I got some of those pedals with screws. Haven't been able to try them yet because of all the storms

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

New frame geometry just dropped

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

This popped up in recommended videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GbRRfbYCXI

Is that supposed to be doable? It looks like a 10ft drop onto flat ground but it's hard to tell for sure from this angle

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What was the name of that site used for tracking trail info?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I went out to one earlier today

it was a 4 mile loop but the watch didn't get the location info for the first chunk

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was messing around with the derailleur and found out the shifter for these lets you drop 5 gears before it stops, not 3. Always felt like the lever travel was 3 clicks with the chain on.
https://i.imgur.com/aBhvSo2.mp4

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Where does everyone place their foot? I noticed on a road bike the ball of my foot ends up centered on the pedal, but on mtb it feels normal to have the middle of my foot centered on the pedal. Using flat pedals on both

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Think it depends on the terrain, there's also the x-calibur in the same price range with different geometry. The marlin is in a kinda limbo where some regions got a gen 3 that changed closer to a trail geometry. The US still has gen 2 which is cross country.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The weight isn't on the skewer itself, the hub has its own protruding piece that slots into the dropouts.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

k

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The 6 is the bad one if it's the older frame

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What are some good externally routed droppers? I want to get one for my gen 2 marlin which is the gen that didn't have the openings.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe they got rid of it, I don't see an external version on their site. Anyways for sizing I guess it should be the longest travel length that can still be fully inserted into the seat tube, and then raise the collar so it's at the right height while fully extended? Ideally the full travel + collar would be the exact height I have my current post set at, but that might be in between sizes and the mounting spots on the tube could get in the way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Ben Cathro's learn to ride series - on the pinkbike youtube channel I think

Might be this one, just finished watching it recently https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQCfPUTFFOkmsIbQkvW2L6YM6KOLy8ElD

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got my dropper post setup and rode around for about 30 minutes, this kicks rear end.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

That's something I've been thinking about too, although I was looking at rockauto since that's where I've been getting most of my auto parts. They show these for the versa sedan & hatchback models but I've never installed a hitch before https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2017,versa,1.6l+l4,3435416,body+&+lamp+assembly,trailer+hitch,1212

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I think it's fine as long as it's the usual kind that points backwards when not in use. If you've got one that points forwards then yeah maybe it could get flipped down and cause a crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Berm peak has talked about the ozark before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLPpTFLgEb4

Been a while since I watched it but he didn't think it was terrible.