Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Does anyone have e mountain bike recommendations? Particularly stuff which has a very big largest size. Not as interested in downhill stuff, but would like to do more blue/green trails. It seems like some of the ones which keep showing up are stuff like the Spectral:ON, nukeproof megawatt, and specialized turbo levo? They’re all pretty $$$ but it seems like maybe that’s just how e mtbs are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

yoohoo posted:

I was going to recommend this too, I haven’t ridden it but I’ve heard a lot of great things about it, and they just released an alloy model so I think the base one is a little over $5k. Not cheap, but not wildly expensive in the realm of mountain bikes.

+1 for the Ranger gloves. I moved from some TLD gel gloves to the unpadded Rangers a few years ago and my hands have never been happier. I also upgraded my grips to Deathgrips which has been a winning combo.

spwrozek posted:

The new trek fuel eXE looks good and reasonable affordable in the base model. Even the higher priced models are not crazy expensive. Realistically it seems like you are looking at $5k to get into an e mountain bike without some sort of sale.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/mountain-bikes/electric-mountain-bikes/fuel-exe/c/B346/?q=%3Arelevance%3AfacetFrame%3AfacetFrame2

Also relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nfOg_55irw

TY for the recs! Will check one out at the local Trek store.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Apart from a helmet + gloves + knee pads, is there anything I should also be wearing while mountain biking? It seems like maybe I should be having goggles- I have glasses so figured I'd get some over the glasses goggles? I am really just doing blues/greens, nothing crazy.

Also, I've just been wearing road biking stuff which is a bit chewed up from a crash, esp since I've just been borrowing bikes and not doing it that regularly, but am looking to change that. I am thinking maybe I will regret this once I have an intense enough fall -- are there particular mtb shorts/jerseys which would be helpful for stopping scrapes and stuff, or would it not really matter much? I wasn't sure how much the difference in what people wear is aesthetic vs practical (but I am thinking maybe it is more the latter).

e: Apologies in advance if the answers to this are super obvious, I wasn't sure from googling how much these are actually different

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Are there good “getting started mountain biking” YT videos or text? Riding w friends and getting their advice I’m realizing there is a ton which I’ve been missing/stuff I’ve carried over from road biking which doesn’t apply.

Have also added another small scar in the process of learning that I am not yet ready for intermediate-advanced trails w/ poor traction, but luckily it’s directly on top of the one I already had from a crash on the road so it kind of works out.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ty for mountain biking tips videos!

taqueso posted:

Autoshift is pretty decent for general use but it has a terrible time with the transition into a hill. It leaves you in too tall of a gear, and then takes too long imo to decide to correct. The motor can sortof paper over this if you don't mind dropping to really low cadence for a bit. I hate how it feels. It's good enough that I really miss it when I turn it off, though, so I manually adjust before the hills which works out great cadence-wise but now I have to babysit the gears again. I don't like this middle ground very much, I've tasted no-shift life and it is good but manually correcting the system is heartbreaking. I wouldn't buy one of these on the strength of autoshift or shifting while coasting, at least not yet, though they are 'nifty'.

It removes a distraction from piloting the bike. Shifting is something I have a lot of experience doing and it isn't a huge cognitive overload and I do it unconsciously, but it is surprisingly nice to not worry about it at all and just ride. I went into it thinking autoshift would be stupid and it made me a begrudging convert.

disclosure - I work for sram but did not have anything to do with autoshift

Is this specially the new SRAM one? My only exposure to it previously was test riding a VanMoof, and that did not really feel very good. I really missed the control. I can see how recreating the experience of riding a single speed and just not worrying about gears could be nice.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Ok, in person it is very obvious that a dirt road with a few inches of snow is not an appropriate place for a mountain bike with normal tires lol.

Did find a bunch of really nice trails semi-nearby though -- would definitely recommend if you ever end up north of Fresno for some reason: https://www.trailforks.com/region/s...ygon%2Cwaypoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Polish posted:

Yeah I never suggested nor said I am not going to wear a helmet. In fact I said multiple times that I am going to wear my helmet all the time when I get it. I agree with everyone that it is dumb as poo poo not to, and yes it is a very stupid thing I am doing. If I had a helmet and said I am not wearing it because helmets are dumb, then by all means call me a loving moron. But the helmet actually arrived today, so that is solved! Thank you for your concerns and kind words.

To be progressive maybe if a new person comes in asking questions, perhaps suggest some good helmets before even thinking about getting a bike? I've been riding for a few weeks without one on the misconception of trusting myself and what I am doing as low risk, and I am sure I am not the only stubborn dumbass to think that way.

I even found this very helpful guide for helmets of various prices:
https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

That was the ranking/resource recommended to me when I was purchasing helmets. It doesn't track sales though, so it might be worth checking a few which would be out of your price range just in case. For example, Troy Lee Designs is usually like 70% off for some reason, which is not reflected in the list.

Actually related to helmets -- do people have recommendations for full face helmets? I was looking at going to a downhill park and figured I should probably get one before that.