Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Hey I'm new to MBs and have a few newbie questions. I picked up a bike this spring and have been getting addicted to it. I was kinda uneasy even taking sharp corners on flat pavement at first, but now I'm ripping around comfortably. I've been spending most of my time on gravel/dirt multi-use paths around my city and exploring some of the bigger hills and valleys. There are a lot of narrow and twisty bike paths off the sides of these trails but they look stupidly steep and full of roots to me. I see MBs on them sometimes though and they're clearly made for (or by) bikes. I live in a huge valley so pretty much all of these paths are heading up or down a massive hill full of trees and bushes. I want to start using this bike for more exciting things than exploring/peddling down a path and I guess that means learning how to ride those trails.

I know it's hard to answer but is there any advice on the 'progression' or something towards riding tracks like I described? I'll probably go try a few this week - which leads to the most embarrassing question but it's not a problem to just go really slow in a low gear right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Thanks! That's great advice, I'll check those website for good trails.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I'm wondering what new kind of bike I should get. Gravel bike? Full sus MTB? Trail/XC?

I started biking 4 years ago and fell in love with it. I bought a Trek Marlin 7 online without testing it and I think I lucked out since it fit me well and I've truly enjoyed riding it every day there isn't snow outside. I'm feeling like I could use something else now though.

I don't really do any single-track or races or technical rides. I live in a city so I usually have to bike 10-30 mins on asphalt to get to parks and trails, but I can also drive out to some mountains and national parks.

Basically, what I like to do most is explore all day long. Ideally that would be hiking trails or dirt roads. There is usually a lot of hills, so I don't want something that is awful for climbs. I tried a gravel bike for a couple of weeks and it was tons of fun (way more agile), but I kept running into dirt/mud/roots or grassy fields, that seemed kind of sketchy to ride. Whereas on the MTB I wouldn't think twice. It seems like maybe a hardtail is best suited? But that's what I already have and I'm interested in a different kind of bike and what sort of riding that may open up.

Thanks for any help/opinions!

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Thanks to everyone for the help, I really appreciate all the info and it's led me to two different Trek bikes. Budget is 3000-4000 CAD, but less is obviously better.

Checkpoint ALR 5 (link)
Fuel EX Gen 5 (link)

The Fuel is about $1000 CAD more, so it would need to be "worth it". Again, I'm not going to be doing technical rides or jumps etc. Just all day exploring in natural areas, with some asphalt commuting to and from.